Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aikido, or something similar?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I doubt that anyone who has trained under Sensei Rogers in Pearse St. would agree! *grin* When we don't guard, he hits us (or sometimes shows us he can hit us). When he attacks so that we can defend, there's no doubt that his strike could cut right through us.
    The atemi in question do not develop the skills of timing required to deal with real strikes. If you really believe that you are developing these skills then get a boxer to throw a few jabs at you or rather ask your sensei (hope she's well! :D ) to step up with a boxer and see how they get on. I dont doubt the ferocity of the attacks but I dont feel that as training methods go they instill the necessary skills to deal with real combat.
    (I realise that you say you practised five days a week for three years. But I can't help but wonder, with whom? I thought aikido was only run in UCD twice a week?)
    It used to be on 4 times a week actually. And i also trained in Pearse St. Since you know me rather than trying to discredit me or invalidate my opinions why not look at what Im saying and see if it strikes a chord. Im not claiming to have been at master level, I just stated my experience.
    On a related note, I also practise ju-jitsu, and I believe that every martial art can be effective. I have seen aikido techniques work on ju-jitsu practitioners, and I have seen ju-jitsu techniques work on aikido practitioners.
    Have you tried Aikido or Ju-Jitsu on a fully resisting opponent. Try them on a judoka, bjj fighter, boxer or thai fighter and see how they work. I regularily try my MMA on the above and prove it works. I refine my techniques and develop skills in a pressure tested environment and not a vacuum like most TMA people. Real combat is not a vacuum. Why practice in one?
    It depends on the level and dedication of one's training.
    Only if you're training right!
    I agree with you in saying that the effectiveness of any given martial art as concerns oneself depends on the standard of instruction that one receives. There are great dojos and terrible dojos in every martial art.
    I think there are great training methods and poor training methods. You can have the best teachers in the world and if they arent using proper training methods then the MA will never be effective.
    However, I would not agree in saying that the instruction *you* received was lacking. Unless I'm mistaken (which is entirely possible as I don't have the best memory for names and faces), I've met and practised with some of your instructors. I would consider them to be brilliant teachers. I have also attended aikido courses, gradings, and summer school with you.
    Nice to talk to you again. Hope everything is going well in your training and in the rest of your life! ;)
    I find it very hard to understand why you are posting the kind of derogatory remarks contained in this thread. So you can't get aikido to work for you, and you don't enjoy it anymore. Well, that's life - it happens. It's hardly the end of the world. *smile* But why try to deter people who are interested in learning aikido?

Youre kind of seeing what Im saying as a personal attack on you or Aikido. Far from it. The thread asked about the self defence benefits of Aikido and I gave my honest opinion from my experience. I have fought amateur MMA/Vale Tudo twice now and I train MMA/BJJ. I practice against full resistance and I fully believe that unless you train against full resistance then you wont be able to apply your training against real people. Its not like I have a gripe or bitterness about Aikido or its people. I do however think that Aikido like pretty much every traditional martial art trains wrong.

To repeat, its not the art or the people its the training method.

Cheers and Best Wishes,

Colum

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Estelindis

columok wrote:
    The atemi in question do not develop the skills of timing required to deal with real strikes. If you really believe that you are developing these skills then get a boxer to throw a few jabs at you or rather ask your sensei (hope she's well! :D ) to step up with a boxer and see how they get on. I dont doubt the ferocity of the attacks but I dont feel that as training methods go they instill the necessary skills to deal with real combat.
    Actually, it's funny you should mention boxing. One of my ju-jitsu instructors is a former champion boxer, and also one of the more dangerous people I've met. He and my aikido instructor at Maynooth (she's very well, thank you ;)) would both attest to the effectiveness of each other's techniques and abilities. As regards what would happen if *I* stepped up against my ju-jitsu instructor, however... *huge grin* If he was trying to teach me a technique in the dojo, he wouldn't flatten me, as that would definitely impede my learning. But if it ever, ever, ever came to a fight - and God forbid that it would - I'd be carried off in an ambulance. I have absolutely no doubt about that.

Is that because aikido is inferior to ju-jitsu or boxing? Certainly not. It's because I'm a low grade (with only some experience) and he's a high grade (with lots of martial arts and real combat experience). He and my aikido instructor teach me the necessary skills to deal with real combat. Although their styles are very different, they have many common elements, all of which are of practical importance in real combat. Some will take longer than others to develop - a lot longer in many cases concerning aikido! But, however long it takes for me to understand those principles in even the most limited sense, I'm going to keep trying. :)
    It used to be on 4 times a week actually. And i also trained in Pearse St. Since you know me rather than trying to discredit me or invalidate my opinions why not look at what Im saying and see if it strikes a chord. Im not claiming to have been at master level, I just stated my experience.
    I'm not trying to discredit you. Honestly. :) I'm trying to reconcile your knowledge to my knowledge. What I understood was that there were two classes on per week last year. Since you gave up aikido some way into the last academic year (if I'm correct - tell me if not), that would have meant that for at least a period of your training, it was only on twice a week. This is why I brought the point up in the first place. As I say, I have no interest in discrediting you.
    Have you tried Aikido or Ju-Jitsu on a fully resisting opponent. Try them on a judoka, bjj fighter, boxer or thai fighter and see how they work. I regularily try my MMA on the above and prove it works. I refine my techniques and develop skills in a pressure tested environment and not a vacuum like most TMA people. Real combat is not a vacuum. Why practice in one?
    Yes. I have tried. Often, their resistance stops me from doing the technique I want. There are other techniques that could be tried (which might work better on an opponent resisting in a particular way), but there's little point in trying something other than the technique in question at a level so low as mine (since reversal won't come for years). It's better to try and gain further understanding of whatever clashing of power and direction are occurring. Other times, however, my opponent's resistance makes the technique even easier. It's almost like they give themselves away by stiffening up! Amazing. Mind you, for me, the latter occurs frequently, whereas former occurs infrequently. I think that's to be expected because I'm just a beginner. I think it really depends on the circumstances and on one's level of experience. Yet I don't even see it as a loss when it happens. It's just something to learn from.
    I think there are great training methods and poor training methods. You can have the best teachers in the world and if they arent using proper training methods then the MA will never be effective.
    I'm not sure if I understand you. Surely part of being a good teacher is having correct knowledge to impart? I suppose it's possible to have good teaching skills in the abstract, but unless one was lecturing in education, I doubt one would have many students. *grin*
    Nice to talk to you again. Hope everything is going well in your training and in the rest of your life! ;)
    You too! I wish you all the best, both martial-arts-wise and life-wise. :)
    Youre kind of seeing what Im saying as a personal attack on you or Aikido. Far from it.
    I don't see this as a personal attack on me. How could it possibly be? The discussion was occurring before I arrive, and no-one has mentioned ( or probably even knows) any of my personal details. *grin* However, although it's not an attack on all aikido, I believe it is an attack on the self defence possibilities in aikido. I think you've pretty much admitted this (although I'm open to correction on this as on any other point).

The thread asked about the self defence benefits of Aikido and I gave my honest opinion from my experience. I have fought amateur MMA/Vale Tudo twice now and I train MMA/BJJ. I practice against full resistance and I fully believe that unless you train against full resistance then you wont be able to apply your training against real people. Its not like I have a gripe or bitterness about Aikido or its people. I do however think that Aikido like pretty much every traditional martial art trains wrong.
    I really think that, on a board where martial arts are discussed, it's best not to say negative things about other arts. Best just to say positive things about one's own. There are many arts that one will not have the chance to witness the effectiveness of (for whatever reason), but it's only fair to assume that there is effectiveness there.

In the case of aikido, you found that it wasn't effective for you in a self defence situation. But it might be effective for someone else. That person won't know unless they try it. Of course, they're free to try Brazilian ju-jitsu too. I have no problem whatsoever with anyone extolling the virtues of that art. We've done a bit in our ju-jitsu classes in Maynooth, and it looks and feels very effective. :D But, even if I hadn't found it to be effective, I would assume there was effectiveness to be found, and that anyone interested in the art should look for themselves. ;)

God bless and be well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Colum pretty much summed up every argument before on this thread so I'll let him deal with any disagreements, but I will comment on this:
    on a board where martial arts are discussed, it's best not to say negative things about other arts. Best just to say positive things about one's own

Why? If we were discussing Evolution, should I not say anything bad about Lamarckian principles? Only extol the positive side of Dawkin's Selfish Gene? Of course not, Lamarckian Evolution is flawed and it's worthwhile pointing it out and reasoning why it is so.

Now, if some martial art is propagating falsehoods about how to defend oneself (which is the most common question beginners ask on this forum) why shouldn't we - as people who practice day in day out against others who are fully uncooperative, as an opponent on THE STREET would be - point out which training methods are flawed when it comes to developing the skills necessary to defend oneself.

In any branch of science, everything is open to review by other scientists. If a theory can't be falsified, no-one would consider it. The same with any skill based sport, to show something works, you must show it time and time again against someone who is cooperating. Yet Martial Arts in general seem to be different about this.

A few examples:

"Aphids can't digest protein" - Scientists test this statement, find out some aphids can digest protein. Now further study is being taken to find out how, and what proteins. The statement can be supported or rejected through testing.

"The faster the penalty kick is taken, regardless of direction, the higher a probability of scoring" This statement can be tested by footballers in a training environment, or throughout a season of the premiership. We can find out what's true by testing.

"This method will pin your opponent better than you're old method" Get 50 guys, hold them down using both methods, see which one works better. You've tested it. Now take the better method, and refine it so it works a higher percentage, tweak and test, tweak and test.

"I can't do pressure points on you because you're energy isn't in tune" The effectiveness of pressure points can't be tested because you're not allowing your statement to be proved false. Reason tells us we should ignore that statement.

"I couldn't find any conspiracy going on, they've obviously covered their tracks perfectly" The Conspiracy can't be proved false because the conspiracy advocate sees a lack of evidence for the conspiracy as proove that the conspiracy is on going. If asked what the world would be like without the conspiracy and it's cover up, they'd be eventually forced to admit that it would be the exact same as with the conspiracy.

Very longwinded reply I know but I wanted to be thorough. If something isn't tested repeatedly, don't accept it's effectiveness.

Hope this helps,
    Colm

CAVEAT: Just before I start I want to be clear that I refer only to the self defence capabilities of martial arts. MA obviously have other benefits but I'm disregarding them here!
    Is that because aikido is inferior to ju-jitsu or boxing? Certainly not. It's because I'm a low grade (with only some experience) and he's a high grade (with lots of martial arts and real combat experience). He and my aikido instructor teach me the necessary skills to deal with real combat. Although their styles are very different, they have many common elements, all of which are of practical importance in real combat. Some will take longer than others to develop - a lot longer in many cases concerning aikido! But, however long it takes for me to understand those principles in even the most limited sense, I'm going to keep trying.

The principles taught in Aikido, Jiu Jitsu, Karate, Kung Fu etc are the exact same as those taught in Muay Thai, Judo, Boxing, BJJ and MMA. Their application through training is what differs. Look at early UFC to see the difference between Muay Thai and Karate or TKD. They teach the same ideas (punching, kicking and blocking) but they train differently. As a result Muay Thai is infinitely more effective. They train with full resistance and discard anything that doesnt work. Karate and TKD dont train this way and as such dont produce fighters of the same calibre. Real opponents will be resisting fully so pressure tested martial arts/combat sports understand this and train accordingly. TMA dont seem to grasp this.
    But, however long it takes for me to understand those principles in even the most limited sense, I'm going to keep trying.
    If it takes such a long time for someone who is clearly able and intelligent to understand such principles I would be questioning the training methods. BJJ, Wrestling and Judo practitioners use the exact same principles (Balance, timing, centering, distancing, zanshin etc.) from Aikido and because of training methods grasp from day one. Again Aikido principles are sound but the training methods are flawed.
    'm not trying to discredit you. Honestly. I'm trying to reconcile your knowledge to my knowledge. What I understood was that there were two classes on per week last year. Since you gave up aikido some way into the last academic year (if I'm correct - tell me if not), that would have meant that for at least a period of your training, it was only on twice a week. This is why I brought the point up in the first place. As I say, I have no interest in discrediting you.
    Back in my day ;) UCD Aikido trained Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. Pearse St. Tuesday, Wed night or Friday. Never Saturday- too full! ;)
    Yes. I have tried. Often, their resistance stops me from doing the technique I want. There are other techniques that could be tried (which might work better on an opponent resisting in a particular way), but there's little point in trying something other than the technique in question at a level so low as mine (since reversal won't come for years).
    Out of interest, who against and under what rules i.e MMA rules, Muay Thai rules, Boxing rules, Judo rules, wrestling rules, submission grappling rules. If it was full resistance then it would have been against one of these sets of rules for the sake of safety.
    Surely part of being a good teacher is having correct knowledge to impart?
    No. Being a good teacher is your ability to impart that knowledge. The proof is in the improvement of your students and their ability to perform under real pressure.

Also you can be a great teacher but if you are rigidly adhering to poor teaching practices then your students will not learn. I think with many TMAs you have great teachers adhering to archaic training practices that do not develop the skills they set out to develop.
    I really think that, on a board where martial arts are discussed, it's best not to say negative things about other arts. Best just to say positive things about one's own. There are many arts that one will not have the chance to witness the effectiveness of (for whatever reason), but it's only fair to assume that there is effectiveness there.
    Whatever about martial arts, self defence is a science. As Colm has already eloquently said, you propose something, test it and accept or reject it. If a martial art advertises itself as a science (self defence) then it should be analysed as critically as new cancer breakthroughs or theoretical physics theorems.

But, even if I hadn't found it to be effective, I would assume there was effectiveness to be found, and that anyone interested in the art should look for themselves.
    You shouldnt accept anyones word as it is inherently subjective and therefore littered with inaccuracies, anecdotes and hearsay. Better to test and figure out for yourself. Dont believe that BJJ or MMA works. Try it (or dont) before you make such a decision. If I told you to I had a revolutionary way of playing soccer that allowed me to beat teams of world class players wouldnt you want real hard proof. Why should martial arts be any different.

Cheers,

Colum

If we were discussing Evolution, should I not say anything bad about Lamarckian principles? Only extol the positive side of Dawkin's Selfish Gene? Of course not, Lamarckian Evolution is flawed and it's worthwhile pointing it out and reasoning why it is so.

Now, if some martial art is propagating falsehoods about how to defend oneself (which is the most common question beginners ask on this forum) why shouldn't we - as people who practice day in day out against others who are fully uncooperative, as an opponent on THE STREET would be - point out which training methods are flawed when it comes to developing the skills necessary to defend oneself.
    As Colum said, opinions about martial arts are subjective. That is, they're grounded in our own personal experience. Something that doesn't work for one might work for somebody else (for a wide variety of different reasons that need not reflect badly on the art itself). If any given person finds that they can't apply what they're taught in a useful way, well, they either persist until they can, or they go and learn something else.

At no point is it necessary to rubbish another martial art simply because one can't do it. For instance, I am very poor at judo. That's okay. But I know that judo teaches extremely useful and effective principles, and hence feel no need to rubbish it to others.

However, science is different. To use your example, we don't find inheritance of acquired characteristics in some people and not in others. ;) Hence, it is useful to get rid of outmoded Lamarckian ideas, whereas it is not useful to tell people not to practise other arts. :)
    If something isn't tested repeatedly, don't accept it's effectiveness.
    But there are great masters in all martial arts who can show-case the effectiveness of their disciplines, and do so repeatedly.

• Advertisement

At no point is it necessary to rubbish another martial art simply because one can't do it

When people ask what's effective in SD, I'm going to go with what has been proven time and time again, and those are the ones with solid training methods. The martial arts that can prove themselves do so all the time, almost without even questioning it. It becomes the essense of what they do.

People who train like this are almost always willing to spar, pummel, or roll with anyone, try and see what works for them, and learn from that.

1) You can only find out what works for you through active resistance training. I've a good knee ride game because it suits my body type. Columok likes to work more from side control. The delivery system and training methods are the same when we train, yet our individual styles are different. To give another example, Muhammad Ali was great at keeping people at bay with his jab, that was his style, Frazier was more of a fighter, getting in close and working hooks to the head and body, that was his style. Both of their styles developed through working the same fundamental principles and training method, namely boxing.

2) Those people in MA's that aren't effective, and haven't a competitive element refuse to train with anybody who's questioning them. They'll either ignore the question, state it's too dangerous to try, say it's against their principles or make up some other excuse.
    Something that doesn't work for one might work for somebody else (for a wide variety of different reasons that need not reflect badly on the art itself).

True, that will depend on the individuals body type, athletic and mental disposition etc. However, the point we are trying to make is that in arts that have a skill based training method an individuals style will emerge as they train. In other arts, and I'm sad to say 95% of them, people aren't training realistically so they can make excuses everytime they fail. ("Oh I'm not high enough yet" "My chi was off" "If it happened again..." etc ad nauseum)
    But there are great masters in all martial arts who can show-case the effectiveness of their disciplines, and do so repeatedly

Where? In seminars with their students (all like minded individuals). Or do they enter Vale Tudo (portugeuse literal translation=anything goes), MMA competitions? Would they be willing to spar me if I asked them?

Peace Out,
    Colm

When people ask what's effective in SD, I'm going to go with what has been proven time and time again, and those are the ones with solid training methods. The martial arts that can prove themselves do so all the time, almost without even questioning it. It becomes the essense of what they do.
    You've already decided what's effective and what isn't, what's a good training method and what isn't. It would appear to be whatever you're doing yourself. Good for you. But it could be better. If you kept a more open mind, you could learn from other disciplines and adapt their strengths to the strong points your technique already possesses.
    Those people in MA's that aren't effective, and haven't a competitive element refuse to train with anybody who's questioning them. They'll either ignore the question, state it's too dangerous to try, say it's against their principles or make up some other excuse.
    You believe that any martial art that isn't competitive can't be effective because it doesn't give a practitioner the chance to prove their worth by beating someone else. Even leaving aside the fact that there are so many different standards of competition, with so many different rules sets, that a common standard for measuring all martial arts is nearly impossible to establish, beating an opponent can be a result of one's training, without being the real, central aim.
    In other arts, and I'm sad to say 95% of them, people aren't training realistically so they can make excuses everytime they fail. ("Oh I'm not high enough yet" "My chi was off" "If it happened again..." etc ad nauseum)
    Excuses tend to be the province of people who are preoccupied with their own image. Surely someone who doesn't care whether they win or lose in a competition, but cares rather for the principles that they learn (which help them to become a more effective combatant) wouldn't be interested in making excuses about their losses (which would blind them to the real lesson) but in explaining why it happened.

That's the difference between an excuse and an explanation. One is made up and the other is true. If you assume that most practitioners of other martial arts systematically lie in order to protect themselves from the horrid "truth" that there's nothing to their art, then you're not treating them as equal human beings in the first place, and, I'm sorry to say, will probably never see the point in the disciplines that they're studying. (Mind you, I hope you *do* come to see the point. It just doesn't seem very likely.)
    Where? In seminars with their students (all like minded individuals).
    Again, you simply assume that students of these arts are too stupid or too trusting to examine anything in their arts with an open mind.
    Or do they enter Vale Tudo (portugeuse literal translation=anything goes), MMA competitions? Would they be willing to spar me if I asked them
    That question would have to be answered by each individual instructor. But, personally, I think that the instructor with nothing to prove is far more likely to have actual skill than the one itching to prove him or herself.

Ultimately, my differences with you stem from this belief: only when someone trains longer, and achieves a higher standard, than the best practitioner of any given art, can they cateorically state that this art is useless. But, when they do, they will have no reason to do so, because they will know that it's not.

As previously stated, I include your art in this. It is you who does not include mine. That's fine by me - you're entitled to your opinion. But I still think that martial artists should stop trying to deter people who are interested in another art simply because they do not like that art themselves. Live and let live. Freedom and variety bring about human flourishing. :)

But it could be better. If you kept a more open mind, you could learn from other disciplines and adapt their strengths to the strong points your technique already possesses.
    I used to think Colm was very closed minded too. I have come to realise that with training for something like combat if you arent training with full resistance then it simply wont work. Look at a sport like Rugby, fairly combatative and physical. To be a good rugby player you have to go out day in day out and practice against other good rugby players. To become good at avoiding rugby tackles you have to get good tacklers to try and tackle you.

Boxing is the same. To be good at not getting hit in boxing you have to get a boxer to try and hit you. You can do as much pad work as you like and as much shadow boxing but to be good at the not getting hit bit you have to spar. Simple as that. Combat is no different- if you dont spar you dont develop skills. Judo people spar and develop skills. Its not closed minded to say that a boxing gym that doesnt spar or a rugby team that doesnt train against a resistance is gonna lose in competition. So I ask why is combat any different? What is different in Aikido, Karate or other TMA from Boxing, Judo, MMA, Rugby et al?
    Even leaving aside the fact that there are so many different standards of competition, with so many different rules sets, that a common standard for measuring all martial arts is nearly impossible to establish, beating an opponent can be a result of one's training, without being the real, central aim.
    Yes there is! Its called MMA or mixed martial arts. It allows competitors from Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Karate, TKD etc to compete in a set of rules that includes striking, throwing, ground fighting. If you dont wanna train against strikes then Submission Grappling allows similar rules but without the striking. You can throw, joint lock, choke etc.
    Excuses tend to be the province of people who are preoccupied with their own image. Surely someone who doesn't care whether they win or lose in a competition, but cares rather for the principles that they learn (which help them to become a more effective combatant) wouldn't be interested in making excuses about their losses (which would blind them to the real lesson) but in explaining why it happened.

I recommend the following article by Matt Thornton on the issue of training motivations and image vs. performance. At the least its an interesting thought provoking article.Why doesnt everyone train alive?

This is pretty fundamental to what I (and Colm and others believe) about training. At least after reading it, agree or not :D , you'll understand where we are coming from.

Take it easy and enjoy the bank holiday.

Colum

Estilindis,

Nice posts! It's always great to read conherent arguments on forums, rather than the 99% tripe that's usually posted. (NOTE: I post a lot of tripe too, but I try not to on this forum!)
    You've already decided what's effective and what isn't

I don't decide what works. The act of combat will determine whats effective. Anything that's ineffective won't work, but techniques that have validity will reoccur again and again. It has nothing to do with me, or my coach, or Straight Blast Gym. Without us, what is and isn't effective in combat would still be the same.
    you could learn from other disciplines and adapt their strengths to the strong points your technique already possesses

I always try to learn from other people. I visit Judo clubs, go to wrestling coaches, ask coaches overseas, and invite other ma practitioners to train with me. Yet if someone wants to show me something, they have to either show it to me in combat (against resistance) or allow me to test it in combat. If someone wanted to show me a quicker way to work, I'd want to test it, if they wanted to show me a faster way of typing, I'd have to try it out. Why should SD be different?
    You believe that any martial art that isn't competitive can't be effective because it doesn't give a practitioner the chance to prove their worth by beating someone else

If a martial art isn't competitive the martial art itself is never questioned. I'm not really interested in an individual practioner. If something isn't continually tested, subject to a reality check, then the practioners are free to make up techniques, and since they're never tested, they can never be disproven.
    Again, you simply assume that students of these arts are too stupid or too trusting to examine anything in their arts with an open mind

People generally believe authorities, and take second hand information as fact. Now, probably (I've no data to back this up) most of the time this is okay. If you ask your lecturer a question, you expect them to give you the best knowledge. If you ask a stranger for the time, you don't expect them to lie. If you hear a story, you'll generally accept it as true. It takes an awful lot of resources to investigate every claim made by everyone.

Furthermore, being part of a group, any group, involves you submitting a part of your individuality to the collective. To be part of that group, you have to accept the groups believes, ideas, and norms. At least to an acceptable degree. (acceptable as defined by the group). Also questioning authority is difficult to do. The fear of embarassment far outweighs the benefits in a lot of people's minds. This happens in my classes too. When I ask the group I usually don't receive any answer, yet 90% of the time when I ask an individual, one on one, they'll give me feedback.

It's very very difficult to cultivate an atmosphere of inquisition. I'm not even sure I succeed in creating that in my clubs, but I'm striving towards it. I never claimed anyone was stupid, or too trusting.

Can you answer my question on where these masters prove themselves?
    But, personally, I think that the instructor with nothing to prove is far more likely to have actual skill than the one itching to prove him or herself.

I'm not out to prove myself. I'm out to better myself. So if I'm training with someone we need to have the energy exchange you see in combat to develop. I've no emotional attachment to "my art" vs "his art", but we do need to spar in order to discover the truth.

It's worthwhle I feel to discuss the motive I have behind competition. Competition comes from the Greek "to search together". To battle against another was known as "agone" which is where we get our word for agongy. It's the searching definition that's what I'm doing when I train with people. I've no desire to be the best in the world, or hold any title belt. I just want to discover what works for me, in real combat. I hoe that explains my position a bit better.
    only when someone trains longer, and achieves a higher standard, than the best practitioner of any given art, can they cateorically state that this art is useless. But, when they do, they will have no reason to do so, because they will know that it's not

I'm sorry but I don't understand this statement, can you explain it further please?

Nice talking to you,
    Peace

Colm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

columok wrote:
    I dont agree with teaching "hard" or "soft" styles of martial arts as I feel they are the same thing.
    Colum

I must disagree with you here as hard and soft martial art art styles are inherently different , and there is a different emphasis on both
    soft styles tend to favour ki development / internal energy ( aikido being an example) and generally would try to utilise an opponents energy against itself

Hard styles tend to emphasise physicall attributes and physical training
    and would try and meet force with force Thai Boxing would be a good example
    there is no internal energy training or llittle emphasis place on it .

Ultimately, my differences with you stem from this belief: only when someone trains longer, and achieves a higher standard, than the best practitioner of any given art, can they cateorically state that this art is useless. But, when they do, they will have no reason to do so, because they will know that it's not "

I do not really understand what your trying to say here , but i think its fair to say that no art is useless , every art has something to offer, and one can say this no matter how long they trained in a particular art,

aikido in my opinion is interesting and has a nice philosphy behind it , utilisation of the opponents energy against themselves, development of internal energy and if these things interest you , aikido is great
    for self defence its very limited , in fact it has about as much relevance to self defence as say Irish dancing , but that does not necesssarily make it an unworthwhile pursuit , in the same way as learning Irish dancing would not be an unworthwhile pursuit .

And the reason being is simply the way aikido is trained , which the two Colms listed so i will not repeat , with Judo , Thai-boxing and western boxing people are resisting you and trying throw you , punch u etc thus u learn to deal with it , when u get a throw in or a good punch u realise that it has worked despite your opponents non co-operation

in aikido you never get this feeling as there is no resisting opponent or uke
    in fact its quite the opposite with ur partner literally throwing themselves for you, u never know would it have worked had they not wanted to be thrown !

Its down to motivation , if u want to learn aikido for the sake of learning aikido go for it
    if you want to learn aikido for self defence or to be able to fight i would think again , to do this i would advise people to shop around , go to variety of aikido clubs and other clubs and make your own mind up

• Advertisement

I must disagree with you here as hard and soft martial art art styles are inherently different , and there is a different emphasis on both
    Sorry vasch_ro. I was talking more about the self defence aspects rather than the art aspects. My point is that in combat there is no hard or soft. Obviously judging MAs as arts there is a distinction but once resistance training comes into play hard and soft go out the window- TKD turns into Muay Thai, Aikido turns into Judo etc etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Clive

Whenever I practice a technique I ask myself this - will this work for me in a situation where someone is trying to stop me?

My answer to that question comes from drilling it, then trying it in sparring.
    If it doesn't work, I'll ask someone who's good at the technique for more pointers.
    Sometimes, a technique won't work for me; it may not suit my body, my style, or I may just not be good enough yet.
    The important thing is that I have tested it and know if I can pull it off or not.
    If I can't, I put it on the backburner until someone can provide more insight, or discover something through my own studies.

People who accept things on faith, well fair play to them, but they should be honest with themselves and others and say "I don't know, but my teacher said so".

There's a reason all the oldest fighting systems (boxing, wrestling, pankration and muay thai) use similar training methods - because if you're going to fight, be it for money, glory, your country or your life, you won't take anything on faith.

Just my two cents.

Advertisement