Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best places in Dublin for cycling?

• 11-08-2004 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

as the topic says, I'm looking to discover new places for cycling in or around dublin

any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Lots of good places along the coast. Fresh air and a nice breeze. Cycle from Howth right around the bay, via the East Link Bridge. Lots of cycle lanes. Go up into the Dublin Mountains if you want something more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

Three rock mountain.
    Cruagh. Lord Masseys Estate.
    To name but a few. That is if your bike is of the off-raod variety. If not, The mountains in general are well worth the challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

fluffer wrote:
    Three rock mountain.
    Cruagh. Lord Masseys Estate.
    To name but a few. That is if your bike is of the off-raod variety. If not, The mountains in general are well worth the challenge.

me seconds three rock, its tough getting up there for people like me :), but you can pretty much roll all the way back to the city center, great view too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The Royal Canal. Countryside less than 2 miles from O'Connell Bridge.

The cliff path around howth (you will need to carry the bike in places), be careful though, it's a bit rough in places and well it's a cliff path, with little between you and the sea far below.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

phoenix park tis huge!! + with cycle paths

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah 3 rock is good, i'd say masseys is a bit harder alot more twists and turns, but it is different as it is a deciduos forest.
    If your really into cycling and like going up the mountains, there is a group that are based in ratfarnham village (i think) tha do group cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

If your really into cycling and like going up the mountains, there is a group that are based in ratfarnham village (i think) tha do group cycles

Yeah, They are called club MAD. Mountainbiking Association of Dublin. They are linker to the cycle shop "cycleways" on parnell street. Young crowd, but they are good for beginners and intermediates, with something for most.

My recommendation is to start in Masseys wood. The good entrance for cycling is just past the entrance to the Hell Fire Club, on the lefthand side just before the road begins a right turn. It's easy singletrack stuff that isnt too taxing, and will be easy on the bike.

For Three Rock mountain try cycling to the very top, near the mast. You will see a dried out riverbed (fireroad) Leading up to whats called the fairy castle ( a pile of rocks above the masts). If you go to these rocks and cycle right the way down that trail, past the masts, and continue in the riverbed, you will eventually (if you persist) end up right beside the pub Lamb Doyles. Well worth it. Its a technical, rocky course, with plenty of scope for speed. The cycle up should provide the fitness, and the launching down the thrills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

cool, thanks for replies. Its a mountain bike I have btw, I'm deffo going to check out Masseys wood, Howth is closer to me so I'll have a go at them cliffs first. I'll tell you how I find it, if I don’t die in the process :D

BTW, I know most people won’t think of this as a good cycle spot, but Dollymount beach is excellent for cycling. It’s closed off to cars, and it’s a longish cycle to the end of the beech (heading towards howth), there's no-one down there at all except very few hardcore walkers/runners... There's a good few seals aswell, about 15 I seen this evening

Advertisement