Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kanye West - College Dropout

• 12-08-2004 12:34am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Who's heard the album, is it worht buying?

I've heard a few mp3's and What's I heard I liked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 tonysoprano

Yip - got it at the weekend. It is worth it. However also got Jay-Z[The Black Album]. I think this is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Kanye - Its ok. Bit annoying in places...Being described as the best debut since Illmatic is totally over the top IMO.

The Black LP is too short but its much much better than his previous stuff!

But I'm not a huge fan of the ROC guys. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Kanye West's album is one of the better hip-hop albums released this year.
    It starts well, but towards the end begins to fallter with a few too many skits. They're kind of funny first time round but get pretty annoying.

The Black Album is ok. It's nothing fantastic.
    I'd take the College Dropout over The Black Album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boredom

Agreed about Kanye West. Good album, but having 3 skits in the space of 4 songs is really annoying after the first listen. Gotta love the "The new workout plan" though - hilarious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Skits are annoying anyway. They should be illegal or somethin.. It's probably the best I've heard from the roc-a-fella corner anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

To be fair - there's a time and place for skits.

e.g. The Fugees - The Score: Chinese Restaurant skit still makes me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Im still listening to the Jesus walks track. Powerful Video to accompany the song, ie the Ku Klux Klan guy at the end, totally unexpected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Funnily enough that's my least favourite track on the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Everyones entitled to their own opinion I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 evilbubbs

kanye okay he's been on producing duties for a number of people before doing his own thing.

but the album sufferes from over hype
    its a good album, a pass the time album, but nothing really life changing about it.

there are a couple of stand out tunes on there
    workout plan
    family business
    all falls down
    school spirit

but his flow has that oldschool simple way about it, dont look for lyrical tounge twisters here.
    in which case his flow is similar to another producer TIMBERLAND, who can put together a good tune but again lyrically he isnt the best.

buy the album and enjoy it for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

I think he should stick to producing, the songs are alright but nothing groundbreaking.
    It's nice to see a non-gangsta rapper in the charts though, I suppose that's something he really deserves credit for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Rapidude

Just got the 213 (The Hard Way) album
    (Snoop, Nate Dogg, Warren G)
    It really is excellent.

Young Buck (Straight out of Cashville) isnt bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

What's that got to do with Kanye West?

Actually got that 213 album the other day, must give it a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kanye's CD is pretty cool when I think.. The skits are a pain in the ring but there is some pretty cool tracts on it. The track with JayZ is one of my fav's

The black album is savage too by the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭SeanOM

if you ask me the kanye album is one of the best albums released in the last couple of years. the skits are annoying but the beats are class and he mightn't be the best rapper in the world his lyrics are fairly good in most of the songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭pgodkin

its a good album worth the download time if u know what i mean! to be fair its his first album so you cant really rate him on it alone, have u listen to the other tracks he has its called Kanye West-Estentials there's some good tracks there aswell.

should pick it up if u can find it

cheers
    phili

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

hey,

I think Kanye West is the biggest load of tripe , his lyrics are atandards issue and his technique for producing is to get an song , Change the pitch and add a few drums, not original at all, But hey thats just my opinion.

The 213 album is much of what i expected, just really more of the same. Its pretty smooth and funky, and although not amazing to listen to it is good enough. Definitely better than usher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I like it but the skits at the end are just deleted for my mp3 player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I liked it to

Heard he's doing a gig here, i think next month, on the radio but didn't really get the details

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

20th Nov, Tickets on sale Here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ev7en

Hay hay,yep Kanye's(I can call him Kanye,we're good friends) album is pretty cool,best hip hop album I've heard in a long time,guess it didnt win all those awards for nothing.One bad thing,the back of the CD box is pretty darn confusing,all the tracks are all swirly and stuff and hard to keep track of(get it,keep track of)but besides that its worth buying....or else borrowing from a friend and never giving it back

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Can't believe it's ten years old. Listening to it now. Was 19 at the time. Did anyone else go to the show in the Point later that year for Kanye? Barley anyone there.

Advertisement