Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the best/worst thing you've won?

• 12-08-2004 12:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭

I won a Siemens C65 phone from that Fanta Promotion this evening... didn't even need a new phone but may sell it yet.

So i decided to ask what's everyone else's best or worst thing they've won?.. and if there's any humourous stories to you winning them, share them too!

Best thing i won:
    Don't exactly win much. But the Siemens C65 i won today probably was the best. Won a big box of Sour Cream & Onion 'Hunky Dory's' last year off StudentCents.ie also. ;)

Worst thing i won:
    2 tickets to Meteor Awards: Was watching that ID sh*te on Network 2. And they said to e-mail in and i could win tickets to it - didn't even know who was at it. Found out after i won i was going to see Westlife and a load of crappy pop acts. Didn't even go - gave them to my brother who gave them to a mate of his who always hooks him up with rugby tickets.

Fido Dido Pen: When i was in first or second class, i entered an Art Competition in school. A small competition, only between students in our class. All i knew was there was a prize. I worked really hard to get that prize. Came first... got a green Fido Dido (bloke off 7Up) pen. I was pissed! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I've never won anything. So count yourself lucky. Then again maybe it's because I never enter stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Aurther Hugh

I remember one of the worst tv prizes I ever heard of was on that light entertainment nightmare 'The Big Top' hosted by Aonghus McNally. Contestants had the chance to win one double glazed window. I'd love to see a where are they now the lone double glazed window

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭loz_the_boz

last thing i won were Cinema tickets to see 'Herbie Rides Again' - about 20 years ago !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

The best is probably the €500 I won on a scratch card once. The worst is probably an album on tape ... Hits '87 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I used to be quite a competition junkie and the best prize I ever won was an IBM Thinkpad laptop and Fuji digital camera

I think the worst has to be the tefal non-stick baking sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭climaxer

Best things I've won:

IR£250 on a scratch card and the week later IR£200 around 6 years ago which was brilliant because at the time I was broke.

My daugher won a Waterford Crystal bowl worth around £300 a few years ago at a school draw. Sold it though as I have three uncles working in Wat Crystal and we have tonnes of the stuff already.

My Mam won a willy exerciser in the xmas pub quiz last xmas! Still thrown up in the spare room - we forgot to have a look at it! Same night she won two bottles of wine, large box of celebrations and bottle a brandy. Guess her luck was in.

Oh yeah won €30 playing the slots in Tramore on Tuesday night.

Worst things I've won:

Bottle red wine at the local pub quiz - hate red wine.

I also hate getting a Free scratch card because you never get anything else on a free one and I hate getting the three bloody stars too as its too much bother sending it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Kêrmêttê

I am somewhat addicted to entering competitions.
    My nice winnings include:

Toy Jack-in-the-Box at a school raffle.
    Sindy Dolls and sindy clothes at a kids christmas party.
    Bouquet of Flowers.
    Various different boxes of chocolates.
    Tickets to the Placebo gig in the Olympia in Dec 2001
    Selection of CD's and a tshirt.
    Cinema tickets to Kill Bill Vol.1.
    Limited Edition "Intolerable Cruelty" champagne glasses.
    Selection of hair care products.
    €500 cheque (won that 2 days before Christmas which was nice).
    A weekend to London.
    A weekend to Iceland.
    A Motorola V525.

My crappy prizes include:

A giant luminous pink Koala teddy bear in a community sale of work.
    A miserable ugly Panda Bear teddy in a St. Patricks Day pub raffle.
    Wet Wet Wet album... one of those antique vinyl things... never played it.
    Fine Young Cannibals album... again vinyl and never played.
    A Handsome Family CD :confused:
    Cinema tickets to Space Cowboys (I gave them away)
    Calvin Klein G-string undies... I never collected this... too embarassed! :p

I'm prolly forgetting some... but there ya go...
    I'm addicted to competitions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Hello Kitty

After church there'd always be some sort of raffle thingy,
    and every time I enetered it id win SHAMPOO.....
    pissed me off :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

the only thing I've ever won is a cake at some ****ty raffle, and it tasted like **** too :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

House plant.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Won 4 tickets to the JFK aircraft carrier in Dublin bay... sold 2 for £700 :D

What a day... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Won a signed vinyl copy of "Song From Hope Street" by David Kitt. There were only a thousand copies pressed on vinyl so hopefully it could be worth something some day (assuming he hits the big time which is a big assumption).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

After church there'd always be some sort of raffle thingy,
    and every time I enetered it id win SHAMPOO.....
    pissed me off :mad:

Maybe someone was trying to drop a hint!? :D

Worst thing I've won would be wine in a pub quiz. Non-alcoholic. Suppose we deserved it seeing as we cheated.

Best thing... don't know. I don't win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Havn't won many things but I'm very proud of my spamming award from Boards.ie ;)

HAHA TAKKIT SMAK >_<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Logging off hotmail a few years ago brought me to msn. They had some competition to promote the release of Best of Tubular Bells. I entered my details and forgot about it.

Two weeks later a signed copy of the album arrives in the post. Sweet!

Can't remember ever winning anything else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

A trip for 2 to the Ireland US game in Giants Stadium 1994. Was unbelievable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Best : Loads of concert/footy tickets (too many to remember!)

Worst : a voucher for a packet of Walkers Crips worth 20cent! Man was that worthless

No fair, I enter loads of competitions and never win anything cool like that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

I won a brand new car a couple of years back ...kept it and sold my original car cleared the car loan and still had a few grand spare ...I think that will be it for me could never be that lucky again :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Won a Blackboard Jungle Dictionary signed by Ray D'arcy a good few years back - Woohoooooo!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Best: Was a jacket with 'the chase ' movie logo embroidered on it. Very nice, and it was someone else that entered my name into it.

Worst: Was an umbrella :confused: from a Pitch and Putt competition years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭CareBear

Worst thing was a pair of vases with pink flowers. :confused:

Best thing was a dvd player. Wuhoo! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭The Song Thrush

Best thing I've ever won is €1,000 from the FM104 Joker.

Worst thing I ever won was probably a pencil case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Best thing I ever won 1993 - Was on my primary schools table quiz team - won both regional and national finals of Cadburys sponsored quiz and won a years supply of Cadburys chocolate and a trip with my quiz team-mates and a teacher to Cadbury World in the UK. Also went to Stratford Upon Avon. When you are 12, that is possibly the best EVER thing to win.
    Now, I hate chocolate.

Worst thing I ever won A really naff cutlery set as a spot prize at a seperate table quiz. White with blue patterns on the handles. Horrible things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

I won the Trivial Pursuit boardgame "live on air" on Poparama years ago. For those who don't know of Poparama - it was a radio programme on RTE Radio back in the 80's. Ian Dempsey presented it as well as Ruth Buchanan (she's married to Senator Shane Ross). Great aul programme.

I have also recently won loads of free ringtones and logos on the Pepsi Max promotions. WOO HOOO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

basquille wrote:
    I won a Siemens C65 phone from that Fanta Promotion this evening... didn't even need a new phone but may sell it yet.

<OT>How much for the C65 then?</OT>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

2 tickets to see Nick Warren... thats all i've ever won
    had a blinding night though :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I won a mountain bike when i was about 10. Was sweet, cuz i really wanted a new bike, and i didn't even enter the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I won a mountain bike when i was about 10. Was sweet, cuz i really wanted a new bike, and i didn't even enter the competition.
    so you stole it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

tman wrote:
    so you stole it?

no he won............he broke the chain the fastest .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Best: A 40-volume set of Encyclopaedia Brittanica, in an Irish Times quiz two years ago. I almost never look at the f***ing thing, but it makes the bookshelves in the front room look well interleckshurl... :)

Worst: A €25 voucher for one of the poxyest "pub grub" restaurants in Limerick*, in a charity raffle, last Christmas. I still haven't used it, but haven't thrown it in the bin yet, either :eek:. It's been gathering fluff in the nether recesses of my wallet ever since, but is valid until . Anyone wants to offer me €5 or €10 for it, pm me!

* Don't want to name-and-shame, but — think of a horse with a horn in the middle of its forehead...? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

tman wrote:
    so you stole it?
    Ah yes, i didn't make it clear, someone else put my name in.
    Lasted a long time that bike. The fun we had together. "More tea Mr Bike?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I won a "Best Baby" competition circa 1973. The prize was a silver cup and about 40 balls(?) of green wool. As if thats much use to a one and a half year old. :rolleyes:

And I won some books in a library colouring competition when I was about 14. The prize included girls books :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Best things I've won in fact ther ONLY things I've won are
    albums by Kraftwerk, Rock-Aid Armenia, Pink Floyd at various points...oh and a few tenners on the scratch cards plus 24 olde pounds on the lotto.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Last Summer Tipperary Water were doing a promotion where you could win €5 o2 credit.

I won EVERYTIME I bought the water (13times) so i was a happy man last Summer!

I was on QuizStream on TheDen a good 5-6 years a go. Won myself a mountain bike.

The worst thing I won was a limited edition of CoolBoarders4 on CyberStream (also on TheDen), had no instructions, but it did have a snowboarding hat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Best thing I've ever won:
    An eleven day trip to Singapore, flights and four star accommodation with meals included, over new year's just gone.
    Closely followed by a frisbee when I was 5 (school raffle) and the only ever time I bought a lotto ticket, and won 32 bills, just enough for two tickets to Mogwai.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Best things: Two cars, (A BMW 3 series and a Kia Rio), plus €75,000 and a holiday to Rio. All in one 2 week period in 2002.
    For anyone who remembers the competition it was "The cash, the car, and the copacabana".

Loads of things off the radio, LiteFM and TodayFM won't let us (family) enter in competitions any more >:| .

TBH I've forgotten the worst things (if there were any).

Bloody hell, how often do you call Radio stations CuLT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

The worst thing (and also the funniest) I've ever won was a skirt! And a very naff one, at that. (In case you didn't already guess from my nick, I'm a bloke)

I won a spot prize in a pub quiz where there only two prizes remaining - an ashtray and a skirt. Well, I don't smoke so .....

I gave it to one of the oul' ones in the pub who bought me a couple of pints so it wasn't a complete loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Eircell Digiphone (whatever that company was called!) used to sponser the Jordan F1 team, and ran an online fantasy league with weekly and season-end prizes. Won the weekly prize twice, 1st time got a camera worth £100 (old money that is!) and the 2nd time got a Ferrari jacket worth £100. Jacket was way too big for me...still around something though!
    Probably doesn't count, but I've won over $500 a number of times during gambling sessions. An old roommate in the States won $25,000 two years ago after putting a $50 bet at 500-1 that the Patriots would win the Super Bowl - that is a once in a lifetime, 500-1 I still can't believe it...and he was such an wanker too...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement