Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Newsgroups

• 12-08-2004 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I'm an NTL broadband user.

The 'engineer' installalled a box on the wall and gave me a USB driver disk.

Nothing else. No information pack, no user guide. Nothing.

So can anyone tell me if newsgroups are available?
    I intend using Free Agent and need to know the host name of the news server.

Thanks

Stephen

P.S. Am I entitled to a email account, web space etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 gothakane

Hey stuffit,

I've been on NTL broadband in the North for over 5 years now (moved down here recently, like the frickin stoneage ;))

NTL news servers have always been prone to problems, they're just such a good place to get binary files, and were constantly overloaded, resulting in a very sh1tty service for all. So they made dedicated servers for binary users, and textual only users.
    If you're after the binary newsgroups, you should try these servers (in this order)
    news.cable.ntlworld.com
    newscache.cable.ntlworld.com

For text only news :
    news.cache.ntlworld.com
    news.ntlworld.com

I advise you not to use the USB cable, see about using the Ethernet port instead, if you have an Ethernet port on your computer that is. Its faster, takes less resources, and will not cause any problems or conflicts as your computer is not made aware of the actual modem, just of the connection (which is what you want!)

You are entitled to a cool 55mb free webspace, and they don't monitor the bandwidth usage ;) and 8-10 email accounts (forgot the exact figure) :D webspace is located at homepage.ntlworld.com/(username)
    Ftp in with upload.ntlworld.com:21
    Use your username and password.

Hope this helps!
    Enjoy NTL, there's no beating it (you bastard lol ;))
    -Diarmaid

Advertisement