Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few xp2500 overclocking stability questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

he thanks loki for the little motivation and rub on the back there.

Ok well im back at 166mhz at the moment at xp2500 speeds 1.8ghz with my pc3200 ram at 200mhz also, and have been running prime95 now for far longer then it was when my fsb was at 200mhz. So is it to do with my cpu? or perhaps its something with the motherboard, and current BIOS version?

Running stable at 166mhz, and 200mhz memory, would this go to show its not my memory at fault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

/me gets out me notebook

2400Xp may be relevant to you
    FSB vcore speed
    138 1.65 2100 stable
    145 1.675 2206 stable
    153 1.7 2300 stable
    158 1.725 2406 stable
    163 1.75 2505 stable

stable is running XP and games for 24 hours continuous without any reboots or bluescreens.

Normally CPU temp goes to 51 when at 2505 but my mobo is borked so i can make toast on it. Whisperrock IV default fan that came with it.

kdjac

How are ure Fsbs at those settings getting you up to 2.5ghz? Is your Multiplier Bigger than 11.5?

My Fsb is 166Mhz for default xp2500 (1.8ghz).
    And your showing 163Mhz getting you 2.5ghz?

Oh yea loki I found the option for 1mhz increase in the FSB thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

the multipier can go up to 16+ you have a chip that is locked
    eg I have a 2500+m (mobile) cpu there is no lock on the multiplier
    as KdjaC said you should have fsb increments of 1
    Also I would advise a fresh install of xp on ur current hdd
    God knows what crap you have brought over from the old 2k pc

Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Ok well im back at 166mhz at the moment at xp2500 speeds 1.8ghz with my pc3200 ram at 200mhz also, and have been running prime95 now for far longer then it was when my fsb was at 200mhz. So is it to do with my cpu? or perhaps its something with the motherboard, and current BIOS version?

Running stable at 166mhz, and 200mhz memory, would this go to show its not my memory at fault?

Your memory isint really running at 200mhz, its running at 166mhz. Do a benchmark when the memory is set to 200mhz and 166mhz (it will be slightly better at 166mhz)....... try SiSandra2003 memory bandwidth.

So this doesent rule out your memory. Generally the fact that the motherboard is certified to do 200mhz you would take it that that isint the problem, if you go over that figure then mabye.

Mabye try 1.725v and 195mhz FSB, if thats stable bump up the FSB a little more (if you really want to make sure its your CPU your testing then use the memory divider, your memory might just need a little extra voltage or an adjust to the timings but worry about that later....... focus on the CPU so use a divider its very easy).

PS Prime95 is a serious test on the CPU, Memory, FSB, PSU. It puts them under more alot more stress than general running of the machine. While Kdjac's system is stable for his general running it is most lightly not prime95 stable, but his system might never crash as its prob close to it.

• Advertisement

Couple of things off done over the last few hours.

I dloaded the mother board monitor 5, and the "cpu Diode" Is reporting to be 50o idle (running at Fsb at 166mhz ram in sync with it at mhz166, vcore 1.65 so its at xp2500 speeds) and my cpu socket to be 45o. Under Prime95, its runs no problem, but the diode then reports 60o its my understanding that that is riculously high temps for this speed.

Which is the Cpu temp in this monitor the Diode?

In my asus probe it says "cpu temp" is 45 at idle and 50 under prime95 stress.

I found this tutorial on overclocking on my mobo.

It starts off with telling me to put the multiplier to 9x or so, but when I do this on my comp it doesnt boot, and I restart and it comes up saying, bios i safe mode running at default clock speeds, press del to enter bios a reset the correct clock speed.

So why is this happpening, I also might add, that when I want to choose my multiplier at 9x, the option acutally fully reads, 9x/17x setting. ?

On the temp side of things, (are they to high, maybe it has been temp of cpu all the time thats given me the stability problems) im starting to worried did I put the thermal paste on right, and is it woring properly. I definatly put on the heatsink the correct way.

About applying thermal paste, do I just put a small blob of it on the cpu core and flaten it out a bit. When I did it this is what I did, but it didnt smoothen it, it was kind of uneven, the way as if u put ure finger on the compound say and then u lifted it off, you know the way kind of ridgy. Anyways then i placed the heatsink ontop, but I may have moved it around a bit.

Should I refit the heatsink and thermal paste?

I am expecting to fit a 80mm intake fan next week and a artic cooler ontop of my radeon 9800 pro, should this improve my cpu temps much?

Btw in regards to the Mother board 5 monitor, and asus ones for cpu temps which ones right :/ ?

Whats my next attack ?

Advertisement