Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Water Diver Course in Dublin

Options
  • 12-08-2004 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a diving school in the Dublin area. (for the Open Water Diver course)

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Did you check the stickies?

Located here .

plenty of links to shops there.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

Not to start a war but if you are new to diving you might also consider joining a club. Can work out cheaper depending on the amount of dives you are doing.

Plus I figured its time for me to stop lurking and start posting... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

You may also want to consider learning abroad because

1) It might be cheaper
    2) The water would definitely be warmer

And you may be able to combine a holiday with it

I learned in Cyprus...cost of hol + course was cheaper than the course here.

Diving in a club here now (until I can afford to move to the Red Sea permanently) and its great craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

I would love to go abroad and learn, but unfortunately I don't think I would get away with going on my own. the missus would want to come, making it more expensive.

Stuck with some where in Dublin. I've been told there a course run at the NAC in Blanch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

bigfeller wrote:
    Not to start a war but if you are new to diving you might also consider joining a club. Can work out cheaper depending on the amount of dives you are doing

Yes, if you have the winter to read a book as thick as the bible, every week in the pool for months to practice outdated buddy-breathing, use outdated equipment and a few weeks to learn freediving in the sea before u can do scuba (after months in the pool) offcourse this is interesting :rolleyes: not!

Not to mention the unprofessional dive instroketor you will get that are really a carpenter with diving as a hobby.

Yes, if you have the winter to read a book as thick as the bible, every week in the pool for months to practice outdated buddy-breathing, use outdated equipment and a few weeks to learn freediving in the sea before u can do scuba (after months in the pool) offcourse this is interesting :rolleyes: not!

Not to mention the unprofessional dive instroketor you will get that are really a carpenter with diving as a hobby.
    Not a fan then?

I believe www.firststagediving.com run their closed water sessions in the NAC... i think thats what you are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

bigfeller wrote:
    Not a fan then?

No, not a big fan of the training i have seen, but nothing against clubs or clubdiving, great way to meet new divers and friends :)

Since you guys have started it off i might as well weigh in here.

PADI Open water is what... 5 weeks? It can be a little intense for someone who is just starting and has trouble getting to grips with the theory and the practical end of it at the same time. Also there is always that element of the PADI dive school almost pushing the diver through the course.. after all they have your money and would rather see the back of you.

The club way of doing things is a little less about the € and more about teaching people. They take more time about the training.... but i don;t know what standard the training is as i've never taken it myself. Then again you don't have the 'professional' aspect to it. An instructor is not getting paid for his/her time so it can be very much a situation where you a relying on the instructor to give up their free time.

Then again the club has a benefit to it... its a club. You meet people similar to yourself doing the same things and learning the same stuff. But then again you open up the the ego aspect of a club. Peoples ego's eventually emerge and club politics gets in the way.

Personally i liked the way i learned to dive. PADI. I had no problem with theory and the in water skills i found easy. I was not tied down by paying a membership to a club and then going where the club rib went. I just packed a bag and pain through the nose in whatever PADI centre i turned up at. If the boat was packed with muppets then it was fine as the chances were i wouldn't be seeing them again for a long time. With a club you could get stuck with the same moron's over and over again.

But thats just me, i'm a bit of an odd ball at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Pataman

Dont mind the cynics, diving is great fun and the training is ok too. www.oceandivers.ie is where I did mine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Heres is a new group that is doing well

www.irishdivers.com

Advertisement