Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Horror Stories - We want them

Options
1235»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

theking wrote:
    I have had eircom broadband for over a year. ie I'm out of contract.
    I am on dialup, with my dsl sync light still mocking me from the modem.

I too have a dsl light mocking me.

I want to move to Smart so I gave UTV a month's notice on the 22nd June - in spite of this they did not ask Eircom to cease my dsl until 26th July (having confirmed to me that 22nd July would be my last day). UTV duly issued me with a cancellation number but my dsl light goes on and on and on. (In the meantime I had to open a new account with Eircom to bring my telephony back to them)

Smart of course can do nothing for me until the dsl is gone. So I rang Eircom yesterday to try and get the dsl signal taken off the line and in the process find out why it was taking so long. I have never in my life had a more frustrating experience (and I do not exaggerate here belive me) in attempting to get someone in Eircom to understand what exactly I was trying to achieve.

Eventually having given up in despair I found out through a contact in Eircom that I would have to obtain a second cancellation number from UTV to get the dsl signal taken off the line as the opening of the new account with Eircom for the telephony invalidated theh first cancellation number. Eircom claimed that they had asked UTV for this second number some time ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Bloody hell that's rediculous. Even more so because you have it in writing. Have you any legal-type friends you could run this by? Both eircom's and BT's incompetence has cost you now. Although you'll have a tough time proving the eircom one, you do have written confirmation from BT. Try complaining in writing to both, seeking some recovery of costs/losses to you. If you do complain, and get no response, forward the complaint to ComReg. You could always email them anyway, so that they're aware that the ISPs are still screwing "transfer" customers around, royally.

Shockin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Sunkist

Damien, I wont add my horror story yet about Eircom because it's ongoing and not getting any resolution yet but, I noticed in the Indo this morning that Swiss Telecom have Eircom in their sights for a takeover bid. I'm going to write to their Public Affairs, Investor Relations and the Swiss Press to ask why they would even think of buying such a useless company as Eircom.

Obviously ComReg, Dermot Ahern and other avenues of complaint are not working according to the folks at Boards.ie and Irelanoffline so mabye we need to look at other options? Regards, Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brianmacd

I can not believe the problems, prices and install issues that people are having in Ireland - they are unacceptable.
    I have been dealing with Eircom and they are such a disgrace. I call and get transfered all over the place, and when they say they'll call me back, they don't. I've been waiting over two weeks for dsl/broadband.

They've given no status on the order it and have given up on them.
    As far as I'm concerned, they can now shove my order up their arse now, I don't want it, I'm taking my business elsewhere despite the fact I'll probably have to wait another few weeks for it to be done.

Also - what's with this limited time online and limited download restrictions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

must have a read through this thread, but heres mine anyhow, i rang up esat at the end of august to order a phoneline and their 2meg package, the guy told me i'd be quicker ordering the line with eircom, so i went up to my local 3g store, filled out all the forms etc and was told by the guy there that it would take 10-15 days for them to install the new line, a month and a half later and 6 phonecalls to eircom (i stayed polite and courteous even though i was getting really impatient) they finally sent a man out to do a half an hour job
    right so then i called up esat to order the broadband, and they said that they need to call eircom to do a line test and that they'd call me back the following day.. no phone call
    so i went onto eircom.ie and looked up the line test, and mine failed

im in the middle of sligo town, well within the exchange, i know people all around me that have broadband

anyway just after ringing esat there and am waiting for a callback, hopefully they can help, if not then i'll be calling eircom and i won't be one bit as couteous as i have been up till now

edit:// eircom said to give it another couple of days..hrmm..well fingers crossed
    edit:// just reading through the thread, my expience seems pretty tame compared to others

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

The line pass database wont have been updated with your new line yet. So it will fail until they do a test. Looking at other posts here that can take a month.

thanks shadow, christ could be looking at another month so? well at least once the line test is done that should be the last of my dealings with these slow shower of fu*kers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭MrShadow

did you try fastcom for wireless access? 2meg each way if you have los

nice find, connection is a bit steep, but if dsl doesn't work out then yeah ill probably go for that, 25 stephen street.. that only a few numbers away from where i am atm, didn't know it was there :o

yep, apparently even in a broadband enabled area you can't get broadband, finally after emailing eircom they confirmed that a line test had been carried out and the line failed, pathetically slow f*****s, thats two months wasted holding out on them for broadband, screw that, ill never have anything to do with them again and ill never recommend any eircom product to anyone ever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tooley

I just came across this thread now, here is my horror story from September 2004

Subject: Eircom the muppet factory

Below you'll find a letter I sent off to Eircom Customer Compliants last week. If you are getting broadband at home and Eircom give you some cock and bull story about getting a second line in DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!

Read on and check the link below and you'll then see what the problem more than likely is...

Having been informed by Eircom that our existing line (12345) failed and could not take broadband we had a 2nd line (67890) installed. We then awaited the result of the tests for broadband on the 2nd line. Previous to this we had performed the online test on the internet and also had an Eircom Engineer perform a test from the Exchange or so I was lead to believe. Either way I was "explicitly" informed that the 1st line (12345) could not take broadband hence the reason for getting the 2nd line installed. However, on receiving the results I was informed that the 1st line (12345) had passed and the newly installed 2nd line (67890) had failed!?! Huh?!?

Regardless of this the person who gave me the results on the 2nd Sep informed me that a technician would be required as we have PhoneWatch on the existing 12345 line, this is understandable. The same person phoned me again on the 7th Sep to inform me that our 1st line had passed (bless him, I think he forgot he'd already spoken to me). Anyway he informed me that the broadband order had been placed and the 2nd line would be cancelled and the technician would be in touch. On ringing Eircom on the 9th of Sep I was informed that NO broadband order had been placed and the 2nd (failing) line still had not been cancelled!!

I have to admire Eircom's tenacity in doing everything putting me off getting broadband installed, nevertheless no matter what obstacles you put in front of me I will overcome these!! Do you guys really wonder why your existing customer base is being cannibalized by the likes of Esat BT and Smart Telecom? Apart from the said mentioned competitors offering cheaper calls (which reminds me this is something I must look into), taking the above customer service into perspective it's not hard to understand why people are jumping ship. Rather than sponsoring the weather reports on RTE maybe Eircom should consider moving into the meteorological service as providing a 'reasonable' service to existing customers seems to beyond your capabilities. Don't get me started on that 1901 automated customer service number ... "round and round you go, where you stop only Eircom knows". Looking forward to the next chapter in this epic adventure (yawn).

Now read this ... http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?uid=thumper&sid=YfQzIas9&storyid=single3792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Here's the bit I don't get:- you bang your phone number into countless "is your line suitable" tests from the various ISP's. The answer always comes up negative. Now you're saying that a properly worded letter to this Nolan chap of Eircom can resolve the issue? Either the line is junk or it isn't. Right?.....???!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

yep, apparently even in a broadband enabled area you can't get broadband, finally after emailing eircom they confirmed that a line test had been carried out and the line failed, pathetically slow f*****s, thats two months wasted holding out on them for broadband, screw that, ill never have anything to do with them again and ill never recommend any eircom product to anyone ever

And that is the exact root of my issue: people in my estate can secure Broadband as their lines are "suitable" yet I am told either:- 1. That my line isn't suitable or 2. That the exchange isn't enabled {which must be patently untrue if the chap across the street can get it}

In the mean time people are talking about getting the line tested...so what if its tested!!! IT WILL FAIL THE TEST AND THEN WHAT?? Does a call to Phil Nolan fix everything....

REGIONAL BROADBAND- THE ONLY WAY FORWARD

Advertisement