Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help....Norton Sabotage!!

Options
  • 12-08-2004 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭

A family member has a computer which runs Norton as its anti-virus software. Recently, the Norton icon on the task bar disappeared and none of the Norton programmes would run through the START/PROGRAMS route. Worringly, even the symantec websites were not accessible on the web although all other websites were. We retored the computer's settings to a date 8 weeks earlier which got us back the programmes and the icons but Liveupdate won't run and says that the definition list cannot be accessed and that there seems to be no link to the internet (even though there is). We tried to restore it to a point further back but it can't for some reason be restored to the one remaining restore point.

What's going on here? I am a relative novice and the people who own the PC know next to nothing about them. They are afraid to use the computer at all in case someone is hacking into it or using it remotely or whatever other fears have been pumped into them. I have tried getting on to symantec myself from my own computer but its automated and will only deal with the computer you're actually on.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Gee, Norton died and it took your system with it? I don't think any of us here have heard that before. :p

I'd say the odds are fair that Norton just spontaneously decided to die on you. Its happened to a hell of a lot of people running the Internet Securities 2004 package (Compustore and all DSG stores are pushing it with laptop/desktop packages). It dies randomly and kills your system in the process.

The problem with Norton is that it twines itself deeply into your system, so it can be nearly impossible to fully remove it short of a reformat. And on that note...

Two things I've noticed from your post: You use System Restore and you're fairly new to PCs.

I personally avoid system restore like the plague. A lot of trojans/spyware plant themsleves in it and when you rollback windows they come out to play. This basically means if that a virus caused Norton to die, rolling back to an earlier time won't fix it. I find it far easier to stick in a Windows disc and wipe my system if it comes down to it.

Anyways, can I assume you bought your PC from a retailer somewhere and you're using the "restore" discs that came with it?

If its still in warranty and you don't know what you're at, the simplest way is to bring it back to where you bought it, explain your situation, and if they offer in-store repairs (if you got it from Dixons, Currys or PC World, just bring it into PC World as its all the one company) ask the engineer to back up your key files and then reformat the system.

If you know how to burn files to DVD, pick out key documents, put them on disc if you have a burner and if you know someone who has a windows xp cd, bum it off them and then reformat your system. Its fairly easy to do. PM me with any more info you might have. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Thread moved to more appropriate board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

The computer was purchased thru Dell. We restored using the 'system restore' facility in 'system' on the control panel. They use Win XP. These guys really only use the PC for internet access and e-mail. They don't have a lot to lose in terms of files etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Myksyk wrote:
    The computer was purchased thru Dell. We restored using the 'system restore' facility in 'system' on the control panel. They use Win XP. These guys really only use the PC for internet access and e-mail. They don't have a lot to lose in terms of files etc.

go here and download stinger for them. Then put it on a floppy disc and bring it to their computer and run it.

Some viruses change some of your windows settings so you can no longer access anti virus websites. Liveupdate not working for Norton is a classic symptom of this. Stinger should take care of it, but if not, come back and I'll talk you through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Thanks max ... I'll try that. BTW, i presume i can burn it to cd (i don't have a floppy drive) and run it from that. In fact can i copy it to a disgo memory stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Myksyk wrote:
    Thanks max ... I'll try that. BTW, i presume i can burn it to cd (i don't have a floppy drive) and run it from that. In fact can i copy it to a disgo memory stick?
    Sure - although depending on how in bits their computer is relying on USB discs might not be the best option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Fenster wrote:
    I'd say the odds are fair that Norton just spontaneously decided to die on you. Its happened to a hell of a lot of people running the Internet Securities 2004 package (Compustore and all DSG stores are pushing it with laptop/desktop packages).

pushing it?, Pushing It??, it's preinstalled by most manufacurers before we even get the machines (HP, Packard Bell, Fujitsu-Siemens etc).

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

tribble wrote:
    Fenster wrote:
    I'd say the odds are fair that Norton just spontaneously decided to die on you. Its happened to a hell of a lot of people running the Internet Securities 2004 package (Compustore and all DSG stores are pushing it with laptop/desktop packages).

pushing it?, Pushing It??, it's preinstalled by most manufacurers before we even get the machines (HP, Packard Bell, Fujitsu-Siemens etc).

tribble

That's just Norton AV on its on. Its the whole all-in-one package that causes the real problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭MickyJoe

Did you get this sorted out ?

The reason you could not access the Symantec site is probably due to a virus writing to the 'Hosts' file on your computer. For XP I think the location is in the %WINDOWS%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC directory (where %WINDOWS% is the location of windows XP). Right click on this 'HOSTS' file and 'Open With' e.g Notepad. For most users the only line that is not remarked out (line starting with a hash '#') should be as follows

127.0.0.1 localhost

If I am right you will probably have a number of lines starting off with 127.0.0.1 and the site names of virus related sites which basicly tells Windows to look at your machine itself when you type in any of those web site names in internet explorer instead of going out onto the internet to find them.

Delete all the lines not starting with the hash symbol except for the above with localhost in it. Save this and you should be able to access the Symantec site again. I then suggest that on the Symantec Site under 'Downloads' you select the 'Symantec Security Check' and follow this down and do the online virus check to check for viruses against the latest definitions file.

Advertisement