Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More false 'advertising' ??

Options
  • 12-08-2004 11:53am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

So myself and a buddy were thinking of spending a weekend in beautiful Kinsale to meet up with some old friends. Came across the Guardwell Lodge Hostel with a rather snazzy looking website that looks very fresh to me (relevance of which to be revealed anon).

Prices seemed reasonable -

"Guardwell Lodge contains Family, Double, Twin and Single Rooms and also Hostel Type Dormitories (each occupying 2 - 4 guests). We provide all the bed linen and fresh towels.

Prices range from 15 Euro to 25 Euro p.p.s."

- so I was guessing maybe 20 Euro for the twin room. Sent off my email and got this reply yesterday -

"We have a twin en suite room available on this Saturday night at a special rate of 55 Euro for the room.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information or to make a booking."

Huh?!? Even at 25 Euro p.p.s that did not compute! And this was a *special rate*?!? So I sent off a second email making that exact point and got this response this morning -

"Our website has not been updated unfortunately in two years.

In 2002 our twin rooms were 25 Euro per person sharing.

This year, 2004, they were supposed to be 30 Euro per person sharing,
    but we
    have reduced that rate to a special offer of 27.50 per person sharing
    (55
    Euro per room).

This is still the cheapest and best quality accommodation in Kinsale"

Great! I'm sure it is but exactly how long do you intend keeping misleading prices on your website?

Now I know a website doesn't exactly equate to 'advertising' but I was wondering if there is any obligation on business to keep up to date pricing information on their virtual shop window?

-Jim.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You could probably place a complaint to the Kinsale Chamber of Tourism, but it’s arguable what that would achieve.

TBH, were there a significant disparity between the quoted and actual prices then any complaint would probably be taken more seriously, but € 2.50??!! Come on! Indeed, in your shoes, I’d probably have offered to fix their Web price in return for a contra deal on accommodation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Well the €2.50 differential is only after the *special offer* remember, €5 normally. But I agree that the price is insignificant, it's more the principle of the thing that annoys me. I mean will they still be advertising the same price in two years time again when the real prices has gone up to €40? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

In a way, you shouldn't rely on any advert for any rate in any hotel, because (no more than airlines) they'll quote prices as being 'FROM €x', which tends to mean in any 100 room hotel 99 will go at full rate and the remaining one - the one with the funny smell - will go for the cheap price. :D

at best, rely on hotel website prices as a 'guide' and work from there. Oh - and always ring to book - there's more chance of you getting a special rate offer from a human at the other end of a phoneline...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I took you up on your suggestion Corinthian and offered to update their website free of charge on the night of my arrival (I'll have my laptop with me) but they responded by turning me down and telling me that they have their own developer. One wonders then why they can't get them to update the website :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In a way, you shouldn't rely on any advert for any rate in any hotel, because (no more than airlines) they'll quote prices as being 'FROM €x', which tends to mean in any 100 room hotel 99 will go at full rate and the remaining one - the one with the funny smell - will go for the cheap price. :D
    Tehy do however say:
    Prices range from 15 Euro to 25 Euro p.p.s."
    So, they can't charge more that €50 for a twin room.
    trap4 wrote:
    "Guardwell Lodge contains Family, Double, Twin and Single Rooms and also Hostel Type Dormitories (each occupying 2 - 4 guests). We provide all the bed linen and fresh towels. Prices range from 15 Euro to 25 Euro p.p.s."

- so I was guessing maybe 20 Euro for the twin room.
    I agree with your point, that their website is sloppy, out of date and misleading. However, seeing as in this case a twin room is the most expensive to rent out of the selection, surely your expectation should have been at the high end of the range, not mid-range?

Advertisement