Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polling a db

Options
  • 12-08-2004 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

ive a little issue that you may be able to help mw with.

I have an application that connects to my remote db on my site and inputs data.

However i need to call some php function on 1/2 fields in that database regularily to process the new additions.

does anyone know how i would do such a thing.... polling the db?

Tnx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not sure what you mean by polling...

Maybe you could post a little more info about what exactly you want to do and the programming language and database type...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

if you know what fields are being updated, you can generate a select and throw that into a function

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you mean that your application spits out a couple of bits of information ona regular basis, and that information needs to be automatically inserted into the database on your website?

Depending on what your application is written in, and what access you have to the source - you could try something like having the application use a telnet session to access a page on the site, sending the information (I am assuming it is plain text?) as variables in the URL

e.g. application creates a HTTP POST to:
    www.mysite.ie/mypage.php?Info1=my%20info%20part%201&Info2=my%20info%20part%202

mypage.php can then parse the URL, and determine that:
    Info1 = my info part 1
    Info2 = my info part 2
    and process the data accordingly.

Obviously there are security concerns and limitations on the data size & type etc, but hope this helps....

Eoin_S

Advertisement