Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave Matthews Bad (Think im converted to listening to rock)

Options
  • 12-08-2004 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I generaly listen to Rap/Hip Hop all the time but with a friend staying over i have started to listen to Dave Matthews i think he has me converted!
    Never had any thing againts Rock music in general (Some of it is a little to much but credit goes out to the artist for what he does) just never really got into a band.
    Thats all really. What you's think of them?

Jozi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've only heard of them, in the States I belive they're huge or at least judging by some of the message boards they are. Bet they're awful middle america bar rock*...

Mike.

*could be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

I think their bland MOR rubbish but what do i know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Dave Matthews crept into me subconsciously - a friend of mine used to play him non-stop, years ago when we were in university. Years later, i (re)discovered him and just cannot get enough of it.

To me it's musical mastery of the highest form - mindblowing musicianship, unique compositions, brilliant lyrics, overall vision and (since they're primarily a live band) it's flawless execution in concerts - it's so much more than a band churning out songs. You cannot get much better than this.

Just listen and relisten to the buildup, tension and release of a tune like Two Step - it's out of this world.

You should also read a few interviews with Dave Matthews - ranging from his influences, to his compositional style, to vocal and guitar playing style - he really stands out from the crowd. A true talent, in short.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Ancient1 wrote:
    Just listen and relisten to the buildup, tension and release of a tune like Two Step - it's out of this world.
    Yeah your right, heard it today om one of my mates cd's class track and even better live.

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

I think their bland MOR rubbish but what do i know

clearly you know just as much as me if not more!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 ColoradoGal

mike65 wrote:
    I've only heard of them, in the States I belive they're huge or at least judging by some of the message boards they are. Bet they're awful middle america bar rock*...

Mike.

*could be wrong

*you are ;)

I used to listen to Under the Table and Dreaming CD a lot - definitely recommend it still though. They used to play in my town of Boulder, Colorado all the time at these little venues, in fact their first big video was filmed at one of me "old stomping grounds". Gen-Xer reminisces....

Dave & David Grey are old friends back when they were struggling in the music scene. Grey's White Ladder CD is under Matthew's label, still bros! Is David Grey still very popular in Ireland? I heard somewhere that he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, David Grey was very popular altogether at one stage... It was an embarressing time for all involved. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Great to see a thread about DMB.

They are amazing! Under the Table and Dreaming is a great album! It's the last one I have got of theirs and I can't stop listening to it. It's excellent for the car. I just can't stop singing along when I have it blasting! It's so good to sing along to! Their other albums kick ass too. And they sound great live. I just hope they come here one day, although I would prefer to see them in the US probably. I'm sure the vibe would be much better. I have "The Videos" DVD and I just want to be at that tripping billies gig. Everyone just boppin the sh!t out of the place.

It's such an original style of music. The lyrics are great too. It all forms together perfectly.

I heard of them off Counting Crows fans. I had a listen and was like that's sh!t. Then I gave it another shot and have been loving them since. I started listening to "everyday" first. Got me hooked.

Here are some songs to get to get a view of their material:
    Crash into me
    Typical Situation
    Jimi Thing
    I Did It
    Bartender

Battery on laptop is low. Gotta stop my ranting but seriously... DMB are the shiznit! Here are my other music tastes so you can get an idea of what kind of music I'm into and relate that to DMB:

Leonard Cohen
    Counting Crows
    Joan Baez
    Tom Waits
    The Wallflowers
    Ennio Morricone
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Django Rheinhardt
    Dire Straits
    Ryan Addams
    Powderfinger

Then there are the obvious ones:
    Dylan, Young etc

I also like bands like Tool and other "good" bands

Then Dj's such as Gigi D'Agastino, Felix Da Housecat and I love underground Dance, the kind you used to get in Red Box before student nights took over. Daft Punk etc is all good.

Also some hipity hopity. NWA are great, DMX is cool too.

Also stuff like Miles Davis, Joni Mitchell, and classical music too. Country music can kick ass! Albert Lee oooh yeah! I've over 3,000 albums by various Artists and DMB are amongst the top. Just to let you know they kick ass;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Shred

DMB are absolutley fantastic, they just blow me away. I go through weeks of rotating each of the albums from day-to-day completely engrosed in them. There's so much going on yet at first it all sounds rather simple.

Under The Table And Dreaming is an excellent album, but Before These Crowded Streets is miles ahead. It's one of those albums that takes ages to get into I found, but once you do get into it you're hooked.Busted Stuff is like that too and it's between both of these for their best album. Truly inspirational stuff and every one of their albums is worth having.

Oh and I want Carter Beauford's babies also:D

Shred wrote:

Oh and I want Carter Beauford's babies also:D

Dont get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Hhhmmm
    ìts a bit of a stretch to put this in the rock/metal category! :D Most of his studio stuff is bollocks but I recommend the live acoustic album, Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Luther College. There's none of the horrible over production, and some class guitar playing. I'd give it 3.5 out of 5

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Crash into me and Say Goodbye are amazing songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭9lives

An American girlfriend got me a DMB album back in 1998 and i saw them in concert in Virginia the same year. I actually only became a convert after the concert.

I think they are a terrific band but certainly the type of band who you will love or loathe. Their musicanship is exemplary and Dave's lyrics are often intriguing and introspective.

As mentioned above, "Under the Table and Dreaming" is their grand opus but "Busted Stuff" and "Crash" are top notch too. If you want something slightly more mainstream then maybe "Everyday" is a good place to start (although it does have a few real stinkers).

There is a huge back catalogue to investigate so check out their music on ebay or play.com or something.

But definitely a bit of a stretch to include this on a rock/metal board - "world rock" might be as close to rock as they will ever be described.

- 9L

brocklanders, I disagree. DMB are not bollocks. They have great material and their studio versions sound great. I have the CD with Tim and it's also pretty good.

9lives, I am very jelous of you, their concerts look amazing! I wish I could go to one its just a bop fest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

hello, how are you doing today? i hope i find you feeling healthy =)
    woohoo! so happy to read a thread about the great dmb in ireland, as u can see from my name and sig perhaps ya can tell im one crazy davehead =) ive been lucky enough to see them a few times, D&T once and D&F once.. simply amazing. (oh yea, im from the us.) i hope that anyone here who wants to see them gets that chance, its only right. hopefully one day we'll get dmb to do a europen tour .. with the flecktones .. stink, thatd be sweet.. they are unbelivable together (ever hear a #41 when they both play? or for that matter.. any song?)

yea, can't speak enough of these guys, always put me into a great mood, gets me dancing round the floor .. attempt some little dave steps here and there, hehe =) and never fail to blow my mind musically and lyrically. =)

for those of ya who havn't yet enjoy, check it out, cool stuff.. yet its quite true bout one being a fan or not, and then there are some real crazy ones who attend every show per tour across the country.. (havn't reached that point yet.) but ya know what they say.. to each their own.

jozi, congrats on the conversion =) welcome to the club
    ~beth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Okie

Can't say I know a lot about the Dave Matthews Band but I did read this on www.nme.com

yeah! DMB fans unite! I can imagine they would be the type of band to tour with. I know I went to Counting Crows 3 nights in a row when they came to the Olympia. I'd love to bop out to DMB. Yeah, his moves are sumthin else, in the ants marching vid and all that. Why the hell can I never meet DMB fans my own age in real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

40crush41 wrote:
    .. attempt some little dave steps here and there, hehe =)

that's funny - a true fan huh... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

think i should share -a site called antsmarching.org, great place, u can find all the shows there and dl. u'll have to dl some stuff before hand and register then go to tour central and enjoy =) id suggest to get some D&T, b/c im biased id say get the oakdale show 3/19/03 b/c i was there and theres some classic davespeak, really funny stuff -indeed dave could have been just as successful as a comedian, much happier that hes a musican though with a joke here and there =) then of course id say look for those flecktone shows - suggestion, April 20, 2002 a very sweet #41, just bout a half hour... its awesome.

cormie -ur title for the first post -some funny stuff.. said it out loud and thought .. hmm, sounds familar, ahaa, pnp! =) some funky scat out of that man's mouth .. any of u get the central park show? oh man, that jimi thing outro is the best,

sorry -can't help myself, but if u know these guys u know what i mean.

yup -i know im crazy, "but crazy is alright" ;) ~beth

Nanagagatcha schtikapoy one sweeeet world.. oooh yeah

hey crush, ur a gal. u actually in ireland?

• Advertisement

thanks for link by the way, I went to it, downloaded everything, registered etc.. Now... how do I actually download a show?

yahoo... just copped it now:) im downloading the one with half hour 41:) exciting stuff:) sharingthegroove.org(could be .net .com or other) has same sort of concept for looooads of bands:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 amarc

Gotten into this band very recently, must say I'm enjoying everything immensely so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ll=llannah

Just to add to the chorus of praise....

DMB is fantabulous. They've got talent, dave is a fantastic lyricist, they're a great live band (which is what it's all about, tbh, not all the doctored studio stuff, though i do love their cds with a fiery flaming burning passion.)
    Their music also has really really amazing associations for me, so it always brings happy times to me when i hear it. But, just listen to some of their songs. I'm always transformed into an open mouthed, gaping puddle of ecstasy when i hear their music.

in short: yay!

Advertisement