Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about broadband.gov.ie DSL location test

Options
  • 12-08-2004 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I regularly check the list of enabled exchanges here and also check my phone number on the eircom.ie site to see if I can get broadband. It's unlikely that I ever will be able to, but I'm an optimist.

Anyway, on the eircom.ie site, when I type in my number, it tells me my Location is BERRINGS (which is indeed correct, I'm on the Berrings exchange in Co. Cork).

However, on the broadband.gov.ie site, when I check for broadband availability by location, there is no Berrings exchange for Co. Cork. The nearest exchange seems to be Coachford. Interestingly, it seems that Berrings is a sub-exchange (?) of the Coachford one (just another local that claims this) and the Coachford exchange is on the trigger program.

But when my location fails the test on the eircom.ie site, it tells me that there is no trigger level set for the Berrings exchange (i.e. doesn't mention Coachford), so presumably this is an exchange in it's own right (albeit one that eircom doesn't care much about).

Is the government site just inaccurate or am I really a trigger level scam AND a sub-exchange away from broadband? :rolleyes:

Also I've contacted some wireless companies but none of them seem to have much interest in Cork, and the one currently operating in Cork only does the city and south/south-east suburbs. Seems as hopeless as ever. :( :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Morgoth wrote:
    But when my location fails the test on the eircom.ie site, it tells me that there is no trigger level set for the Berrings exchange (i.e. doesn't mention Coachford), so presumably this is an exchange in it's own right (albeit one that eircom doesn't care much about).

Is the government site just inaccurate or am I really a trigger level scam AND a sub-exchange away from broadband? :rolleyes:

Also I've contacted some wireless companies but none of them seem to have much interest in Cork, and the one currently operating in Cork only does the city and south/south-east suburbs. Seems as hopeless as ever.

Hey, can you pm me your no and I'll try and find more information about your exchange.

As for the Government site. Right now it looks to be a crock of ****. I don't think it works by exchange but just general area. I've contacted them via the displayed email address and will give them 3 working days to get back to me. If they don't I'll start ringing around and harassing people until an answer is given about how it works and all that.

Now lastly, can you detail for me who you contacted about wireless and what they said. If you can pm me the email conversations with these people I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks,
    Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

As Damien said,

That site is aload of ****, if you look at the broadband forum serveral people have complained about the fact that you can register interest in your area and when you do that in my example there were 69 people registered interest, i checked last week and it was 2 and i re-registered again on wednsday and i was the only one.

Also Apparenly Ammocom Provided Fixed Wireless in Kilcoole, Co.Wicklow however they are based in cork!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭neXus9

Blitz wrote:
    Also Apparenly Ammocom Provided Fixed Wireless in Kilcoole, Co.Wicklow however they are based in cork!
    Yeah, like what has this got to do with wireless broadband! :p

Advertisement