Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Critique?

Options
  • 12-08-2004 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Hey all
    Just wondering what you guys think my site. I know its not great, but any tips or advice would be great. http://www.dundalktown.com

Thanks in advance,
    Paul Mathews

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Maybe Consider Having links down the bottom of all pages, instead of just the default page.

"alot" isn't a word. You have it in the spiel about E100 being 'alot' less than competitiors

"Important Phone #'s" Looks sloppy, specifically having "#'s" instead of numbers.

The links on the side of the default page are displayed in a funny way, is that on purpose? (three in one column and then two in the next)

I like the overall look of the site though, the (frugal) use of bright colours on the white background is nice. Very Google-ish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

have a navigation bar or something other than that its nice

by the way is this your own business venture, if it is nice one is it hard to get clients to sign up for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

Thanks for the help people, i changed a few things around!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Run your pages through MS Word, if you have it, and it'll pick up grammar blips:
    there are a few apostrophes going astray; thats a lot less - that's a lot less
    P&B Mathews Web Design's - P&B Mathews Web Designs
    and some spelling mistakes - lecures (lectures), accomodation (accommodation),
    and some grammar errors - There are an excellent range of restaurants (there is (because it's one range)), but there is all kinds of accomodation (there are all kinds of accommodation). It takes away from the professionalism of the site to have errors scattered around. Apart from that, it just needs a navigation bar/panel on the pages leading of from the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

• Needs consistency (total change of layout from front page and inside pages)
    • Needs more presence.. by that i mean it looks as its just a couple of images and a small bit of text just dumped in the middle of a big white space! It needs to to have a much stronger shape/layout to it.
    • The nav bar looks out of place
    • Back link/button is JS History based, which doesn't always make sense.
    • Lacks content.
    • Breadcrumbs offer no way of navigating back, so not much point to them
    • Needs a bit more of a professional touch to attract more €100 customers.

.cg

• Advertisement

cheers lads for your opinions! I'll take a long look at it and maybe change the layout altogether!

Not saying you should change it, just build it up a bit more. It'll make it easier to sell the advertising, which in itself will be a task!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

I was considering building a site like that but best of luck to you. Some comments below.

I agree with the suggestion that you need a nav bar. I had to click the back button too often.

How close do you live to Cu Chulainn's castle? :D Note the spelling.
    Needs more presence.. by that i mean it looks as its just a couple of images and a small bit of text just dumped in the middle of a big white space! It needs to to have a much stronger shape/layout to it.

Not sure that I agree. Personally I like clear and crisp site styles, like Google.

You should probably note that Louth Co Co is looking at http://www.mobaile.ie/ for Louth so you may have a strong competitor there.

I suppose with a site like that you have a bit of a catch 22. You need listings to attract visitors and you need to attract visitors to get businesses to pay for listings. Perhaps you might consider giving basic business listings for free and then selling advertising or sponsored listings.

Is this site a part time venture or are you planning making a business out of it?

Henri wrote:
    Not sure that I agree. Personally I like clear and crisp site styles, like Google.

Yup, as do I. But Google invariably fills the space, and when it doesn't it has a nice simple, but consistent and styled interface.

In the case of this site, it doesn't (yet!) have the content to afford that comfortable position, and so appears to be amatuer, and not the "simple" a lot of people like. Once quick solution would be a fairly neutral background, allowing the content area to be come much better defined.. common navigation between the content and background would complete the site, and make it a lot more attractive to business types who decide on where the advertising budget go. Do it well, and you have a simple site that looks well and loads fast, and appeals to the masses!

.cg

I live just down the hill from the castle. . . .

Thanks for the comments lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement