Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And so it begins...

Options
  • 28-04-2001 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

HUD's **** me off. Why can't people just play the fuking game the way it's supposed to?

I was just playing on a server and about 6-7 people had some kind of werid script which was telling them all kind of **** ranging from telling them when the flag will return to the nme base to being able to sniper someone outside of visible range.

When people were complaining about it, he mentioned that he had HUD's which linked into cameras they had thrown around so they could watch the cameras while fighting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

i lost my nick in a stupid bet

http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/Forum20/HTML/001188.html

but my response

The Dev team are already working on the patch to make a pure server option, it will disable any extra client side scripting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Im pretty sure that Pure server option is for serverside scripting. What was happening was people were changing the rate of fire of tanks and mortars, stuff like that and still keeping the 'base' in the server type.
    i dont think theres any easy way the server could tell if your running a hud or not.

Oh yeh, this is why imho Tribes is more 'realistic' than counter strike. gasp you say?
    Tribes came out, skiing was found,DJing to catch fast cappers, HO evolved, m/d evolved as a counter to it. Thats an organic game for you.
    In CS bunnyhopping is an EVIL CHEAT. I dont really play cs, and cant bh, but ffs, learn to do it and find a counter.
    Evolution is more 'real' than enforcing static procedures.

PS. Jug-a-lug - rofl smile.gif
    [This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 28-04-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dustaz (edited 28-04-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Scripting sucks a-rse.Why do people always have to try and get the edge by increasingly dodgy means? Its like those Dads who push their kids so hard to be winners,that they eventually blow up in an orgy of violence smile.gif

Death to scriptology.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bugler:
    Scripting sucks a-rse.Why do people always have to try and get the edge by increasingly dodgy means?
    Death to scriptology.

</font>

Why? give me an example of how the things above affect gameplay. Im the first to say the stuff like happymod and shiva is cheating. but having a script that tells you when the nme flag is coming back? please.
    I dont have any scripts installed in tribes2 atm, cos i have enough problems without making them worse with 3rd party stuff. But with time and testing, ill have a config, just like i did in t1. They didnt really make me any better, but they did help me enjoy the game more (didnt have to slam the space bar, didnt have to press tab to see whos on my team, oh yeh, and didnt have to hold down the mine key for a full force mine smile.gif )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

i have crunchys tabhud script and fpshud script, the tabhud gives you a tribes 1 style tab window, and the other is just a pretty way to show your fps.

both of these make the game a lot easier for me as i dont have to fiddle with console commands to get the fps working, as for the tabhud thats doubly helpful as i dont have to press escape to get score/ping/pl/player list

it also allows me to use the admin functions without dropping from the game.

there are a lot more scripting ideas i have had which i think should be scripted.

i think sing scripts as an excuse to accuse people of cheating isnt really fair.

this guy probably could view the cams, but with them on his screen his FOV is cut down so hes more of a target, so it would only really be of use to commanders/defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

One of the most serious problems with tribes 1... as we all know (or should by now) T1 was tormented by scripting. It was so heavily scripted that you could run the game, connect to a server, and go away and eat your dinner, confident in the knowledge that when you came back, you would be winning. Ok, not quite so scripted as that, but if T2 is starting already, that will be the ultimate goal... I sincerely hope that scripting is controlled somehow, because it ruins gameplay.

A

ah jaysus, this is starting already? WTF is wrong with the flag return timer? that was in tribes 1. it hardly upsets the balance of a game.
    As to sniping outside visible range, i honestly dont believe that, prove me wrong tho.
    Guys , when they were dev'ing T2 , they said thewy were building stuff in to help scripters, you should have known this was coming. As far as im concerned, as long as they prevent stuff like happymod and nofog, then bring on the scripts.
    Look at the stuff that is in tribes 2 that came DIRECTLY from t1 scripters, Jump.cs/ski, fast favorites, the flag/score hud, the inventory hud (mines,grens,health,beacons). Yep, they just ruined the game for me:P

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I was playing the game eariler today, people were talking about script's

are they essentialy needed?
    like are there any basic one's that can help you like in communication wise? or do they only give you an advantage to your team-mate's

if they are good communication wise and overall goo, but not cheating I would be intrested in getting them, as I am new to the game and its better to get to learn a script too, if you think that you should give me a Link then please post below, thanks wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

well all i have is the fpsHUD and the flag timerHUD but i may have one that makes you all cringe im not sure. Its a script that makes it easier to jet its called jumpandjet it make you jump and jet at the same time in one button.

Well i put back FPShud and FullForce grenade into my config and no probs, so looks like they are staying.
    OJ, scripts do loads of things and they can be a help or a hinderance, best thing to do is go to
    www.tribalwar.com
    and look at thier t2 scripting section. Theres no essential ones yet , like jump.cs was in t1, so just have a browse and see if theres any that would make yer life easier (like fpshud).
    Personally i dont like the Jump&Jet script. I jump before i jet anyway, and i dont like automating it, also theres a bug with one of those scripts that makes you jump out of vehilces when you afterburn biggrin.gif
    Bugler, get a grip. Im not familiar with NoRecoil, but it sounds like that script REMOVES a feature of CS, ie recoil. None of the scripts mentioned remove anything.
    TBH, i find it rich that someone is comparing CS to Tribes. The REAL cheating in tribes (happymod, nofog) that went on was NOTHING like the widespread cheating that went (still goes?) on in CS with model hacks and those quit bugs.
    Lastly, Id say if you dont like scripts, dont use them but please PLEASE dont suggest that someones scripts somehow give them 'mad skillz'.
    God sorry, now im ranting smile.gif Last thing, i promise. If a footballer wears predator football boots (which help with putting curve on the ball) Is he cheating? These boots are freely available to anyone who wants them, they arent banned (patched out) and they dont give him the instant ability to score every time. Is that cheating?

• Advertisement

Well I'm sorry but thats the kind of thing I'm talking about.I don't see how that is any different to a no-recoil script in CS, it has the same fundamentals.

If you were meant to always jump and rocket at the same time then they would have made it so.Sorry,but I can't approve of this kind of thing.FPS etc then fair enough,but anything that gives you an unfair advantage(other than good old fashioned skill tongue.gif) IMO is little more than cheating.I saw a certain script on fileplanet that had that feature,and I think maybe some more,but I went to it just now and it was gone it seems.Dunno. What I do know is that there is no way I'll be using any scripts that effect actual gameplay.

Eh Dustaz,don't be a b|tch.an elitist b|tch at that. CS no-recoil script makes your mouse move down just a tad as you hit the fire button.In theory you can do it unaided(pulling down as you fire).So no,in respose to you it doesnt "remove" a feature.If you would care to tell me how it differs from the jump + rocket in tribes2 then please do,seeing as how they both merge two achievable actions together by way of a script,not human effort or skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Well just to sell my soul... tongue.gif

I installed the FPSHud and Pilot Hud. The rest are no use to me.

All the pilot hud does is boost my sensitivity x3 (or up to x6) when I get in a ship. Helps make faster turns, but took absolutly ages to get used to.

Sorry, i didnt mean to get at you personally.
    OK, heres my reasoning on that particular script. its a completly irrelevant script. Most ppl do it naturally and it doesnt really gain you any advantage (i cant see any really).
    Sorry, as i said i didnt know what the norecoil script is, but it sounds like it getting close to an aimbot. Even so as you say, most ppl do it anyway and it doesnt actually aim for you so *shrug*, i dont care , i dont play CS. The last time i played on a european CS server , all i heard was shouts of cheater (at some bloke who was killing a lot of ppl), maybe that doesnt go on the irish servers.
    It comes down to this, I have no problem with any scripts that give me information, or affect non essential gameplay issues (jump&jet, full force grenade). I have a huge problem with model hacks (happyflag, redmines, chain sparks) and serverside cheats.
    I KNOW that the makers of the game agree with this because i read all the prerelease interviews and there was a lot of talk of making it easier for scripters on certain levels. Hell, last night on the ingame news, qix had an article about a tutorial for scripters.
    Someone please tell me how any of the scripts mentioned (T2 wise) so far would give me an unfair advantage.

Don't worry bout it.
    But:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hobbes:

being able to sniper someone outside of visible range.
    </font>
    Well if this one exists then i think its safe to say it gives an unfair advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

From what I can gather from what somene was telling me, some ppl have a script allows them to monitor cameras they have placed while outside the cc, and they are using this to snipe outside the visible range. Would be tricky to get the hang of, but a pretty neat trick (even if it is cheating)

Redesigned

Advertisement