Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garcia to anfield too!

• 12-08-2004 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

$ky

Liverpool are believed to have agreed a deal to sign Barcelona winger Luis Garcia, according to reports emanating from Spain.
    Spanish radio claims Barcelona have agreed to the sale of the Spanish international after signing Samuel Eto'o from Real Mallorca

:cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Yeah there was rumours about that a week or 2 ago but then it went quiet. Is he a right midfielder or what's the story?

< edit >

Read the article:

Garcia, who is predominantly a left-sided midfielder, can play in a variety of positions and would add options to Benitez's team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Personally I welcome our new Spanish Overlord...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He plays on the left.
    This guy is like the fastest person ever, you should have seen how Barca used him last year. Whack the ball and he'll catch it, hes ****ing great, brilliant buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

kewell on his way out? :p

eyerer wrote:
    kewell on his way out? :p
    Nah - that wouldn't make much sense. We usually play either Kewell or Riise on the left Riise is better in a defensive position - also he's needed back there if Carra is going to be playing in the centre. Kewell may not be 1st choice but he's a necessary part of the squad at the very least.

Also we all know he's capable of better...

• Advertisement

i wasn't serious

eyerer wrote:
    i wasn't serious
    good for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Actually, he played on the right most of last season. I'd imagine Benitez will be using him there, since he's got nobody attacking-minded to play there at the moment.

p.pete wrote:
    good for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

PHB wrote:
    He plays on the left.
    Whack the ball and he'll catch it, hes ****ing great, brilliant buy

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM..

i'm surprised houllier didnt spot him so.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mr_angry wrote:
    Actually, he played on the right most of last season. I'd imagine Benitez will be using him there, since he's got nobody attacking-minded to play there at the moment.
    Probably the best right winger at Liverpool for the past few years, a former Liverpool youth team player of the year and Irish young player of the year, the one and only, Richie Partridge!!! I am 90% sure if Houllier gave him a chance 4/5 years ago he would be just as good as Duff. If Owen leaves he'll be the longest serving Liverpool player in the current squad AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its just been said on Spanish radio that Liverpool have bought Garica.

Source - Matt Williams on BBC Five Live.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Despite rumours of a possible transfer to Rafa Benitez's Liverpool appearing in the press, Luis García was quick to dismiss any talk of a move: "The Club wants me to stay".

From here

I guess thats that then. With Finnan reputedly on his way out the door i can only assume that rafa has another RM ready to join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

eirebhoy wrote:
    Probably the best right winger at Liverpool for the past few years, a former Liverpool youth team player of the year and Irish young player of the year, the one and only, Richie Partridge!!! I am 90% sure if Houllier gave him a chance 4/5 years ago he would be just as good as Duff. If Owen leaves he'll be the longest serving Liverpool player in the current squad AFAIK.

Man you gotta get over your love affair with young Ritchie..

Man you gotta get over your love affair with young Ritchie..
    If he gets his chance you'll see what you've been missing. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    If he gets his chance you'll see what you've been missing. :D

ya anyone who's seen him at Coventry(on loan) will know what you're talking about .

He scored one brilliant goal for them where he picked up the ball outside his own box , beat 8 opposition players before arriving at the opponents box to fire the ball into the top corner from 20 yards .

so talented.............such a waste of a brilliant player .

Give him a chance. Rafa is far from stupid, if Richie deserves to play, then he will play.

So we have tabled a new bid for him. Well its the 6mstg buy out clause so its just personal details that need to be sorted.

The agreement for the crossing of Luis Garci'a to the Liverpool is total, although the Barcelona and the agent of the azulgrana player do not want to make it official. And it is that the negotiations between the implied parts have arrived at good port and only reduces to find the mode of payment that satisfies both clubs. An obstacle that, without a doubt, will be saved in the next days and that will suppose the march of a player who the last season shone in the square culé under the baton of Frank Rijkaard.

Luis Garci'a will be, therefore, the fourth Spanish player with whom the club of Anfield Road for the 2004-05 is reinforced, after closing the incorporations of Josemi, Núñez and Xabi Alonso. The case is that the arrival of Rafa Benítez to the bench of the Liverpool is ' españolizadó the policy of hirings of the Anglo-Saxon organization. And, peculiarly, the one that has been the ship standard of the Liverpool in the last years, Michael Owen, has finished in... Real Madrid.

The march of Luis Garci'a is a misfortune for Rijkaard. The azulgrana interior, that yesterday returned to demonstrate his was worth writing down one of the six goals that to him the Barça to the Villafranca endorsed, made an outstanding campaign the past course. In fact, the Catalan player, who arrived at the picture culé after been to have yielded in the Athletic one of Madrid, played 25 parties in League and marked four morning calls. And to the margin of the numbers, that speak eloquently of their good yield, it is necessary to emphasize that Rijkaard knew to take advantage of with good tino its versatility.

Now the Dutch trainer is with the problem of not being able to have an enabled player to occupy the two bands and that, aside from overflowing, the extra had to see door with relative facility.

Benítez, its main defender
    The one of the basic factors so that he has closed himself draftee of Luis Garci'a is the interest that has shown from a principle Rafa Benítez. It is necessary to remember that in first instance the main obstacle so that reached an agreement was the amount that as much offered the Liverpool to the Barça as to the own player.

Recently, ' Txikí Begiristain, azulgrana technical secretary, assured that Barcelona had Luis Garci'a and the own player showed his will to remain in the condal city. Nevertheless, the insistence of the trainer of ' reds' has finished being determining for the march of the end. The Liverpool has increased its supply by the player and that has facilitated the outcome of the operation.

Translated by google, original report from La Marca.

what a translation :p
    still if he really is on his way, it sounds good
    i like how rafa's determination is the main factor for this and alonso's transfers, looks good

anyone seen garcia play?

eyerer wrote:
    anyone seen garcia play?
    He played both legs against Celtic. Him and Ronaldinho were both played behind Saviola in the first leg. Like most Barca players he didn't do much in that match. If i remember correctly he was played up front in the second leg (Saviola was suspended) and he was probably Barca's best player. He had a few shot saved by Celtic's MOM Marshall.

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote:
    what a translation :p

i have been following liverpools transfer dealings all summer and must have read over 100 of these google translation thingies

speechless-smiley-039.gif

According to reports out of Spain, Luis Garcia is set to become Liverpool's latest signing. Both Barcelona and Liverpool have reportedly agreed on a transfer fee and Garcia has agreed to contract terms with the Reds, all that remains to be determined is if Liverpool will pay the undisclosed fee straight away or in monthly installments.

From here

We should be unveiling these two boys before sunday at the latest :D

Liverpool have signed Luis Garcia from Barcelona for £6m subject to a medical, according to the Spanish club.

From the beeb

It seems as if im talking to myself here! But if anyones interested the deal seems to have been confirmed. Very strong midfield now, the base for all good teams, just look at united in the 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Also on Skysports

Reds tie up Garcia deal

Liverpool have finalised a deal to sign Barcelona midfielder Luis Garcia, according to the Catalan club.

The Reds have concurred upon a €9 million (£6 million) fee, and the transfer will be officially ratified on Friday if, as expected, the player comes through his medical without problems.

Garcia will put pen to paper on a five-year deal, but Barca have retained an option to re-sign him should he return to Spain later in his career.

The 26-year-old flew into England on Thursday night and will become Rafa Benitez's fourth Spanish signing following the arrivals of Josemi, Antonio Nunez and Xabi Alonso.

Garcia spent just one year at Barca - having been loaned out to Atletico Madrid the season before - but made a big impact, forcing his way into the full Spain squad.

However, a busy summer of transfer activity at Camp Nou seems to have persuaded the wideman to move on and link up again with Benitez.

The pair coincided at Tenerife during the 2000-01 campaign, and Benitez then attempted to sign the player during his time at Barcelona.

Garcia is a left-sided midfielder, but has a keen eye for goal which means he can also operate as a second striker.

Barca director of sport Txiki Beguiristain confirmed the deal was all but done, and told the club's official website: "I am happy for him because he is on the verge of signing for a big club."

Excellent stuff :D

Los Conquistadors Rojos ;)

nice one, though i prefer to wait until its official/see them in the red shirt before celebrating etc

about these buy back options, do liverpool have the final word if they want him and the player wants to stay?

I believe the contract contains a clause that barca have first option if the player wants to move back to the continent.

BBC wrote:
    Garcia, 23, plays on the right and could become the third player to arrive at Anfield from La Liga this week.

so does he play on the right or left?
    or both?

I believe the contract contains a clause that barca have first option if the player wants to move back to the continent.

good, i don't want players coming to liverpool becoming successful and going back when we want to keep them

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote:
    so does he play on the right or left?
    or both?

He can play on the left, right and behind the front two.

Here is what rafa had to say about him on the official site:

---snip---
    Benitez said: "We are close to signing Luis Garcia. He is a skilful player with a lot of talent and an attacking mentality.

"He can play on the right or left side or just off the striker. Last season he scored seven goals for Barcelona which was the highest any player in his position scored in La Liga.
    ---snip---

I italicised the important bit ;)

He can play on the left, right and behind the front two.

Here is what rafa had to say about him on the official site:

---snip---
    Benitez said: "We are close to signing Luis Garcia. He is a skilful player with a lot of talent and an attacking mentality.

"He can play on the right or left side or just off the striker. Last season he scored seven goals for Barcelona which was the highest any player in his position scored in La Liga.
    ---snip---

I italicised the important bit ;)

hehe, nice
    i'm interested to see if he can provide width on the right or want to cut inside

Barca fans seem to be rightly pissed off about this, have a look here

Advertisement