Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Contract Phones??

Options
  • 12-08-2004 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭

Whats the deal with Meteor contract phones. I heard there is free line rental which doesn't seem economical as everyone would just buy a contract instead of a pay as u go. Is there any catches like u ave to spend a certain amount a month or summit?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭jonathanbuc

blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

Depending on what way you look at it, line rental might (or might not) be free. For example, if we look at the Meteor 200 plan, you could say that each minute costs €0.20, giving a cost of €40.00 for the 200 minutes. However, you could also say that each minute costs €0.15, so therefore 200 minutes would cost €30.00, and the remaining €10.00 could be a charge for line rental. It doesn't have to be a fixed charge per minute, you could say that peak rate calls are €0.20 and off-peak calls are €0.10 or whatever. This would give you different figures for calls and line rental.

Either way, it's really cheap, especially when compared to the other networks (Vodafone's €50.00 for 100 anytime minutes plus 150 Texts, or O2's Choices 20 for €45.00 with a flat-rate and inclusive €20.00 free call credit).

The only catch is that there is no carry-over of minutes, so people who use somewhere in between 75 and 200 minutes aren't really catered for.

Hope this helps
    Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I always thaught that their claim that line rental was free was misleading. Line rental is not free on the meteor minutes 200-2500 packages but is good value for the large number of minutes that you get.

Having said that line rental is free on the meteor leisure time bill and meteor meteor anytime bill. These have the same same tarrifs as pre-paid, free line rental and you get a much cheaper phone than PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

heres the thing though. if I go for their 1250 minutes package. It says its a committment to spend a minimum of 125 euros. Does that mean that if I make no calls and send 100 text messages I only have to pay 125 euros. Not 125 euros plus 9 euros for the texts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Akula wrote:
    heres the thing though. if I go for their 1250 minutes package. It says its a committment to spend a minimum of 125 euros. Does that mean that if I make no calls and send 100 text messages I only have to pay 125 euros. Not 125 euros plus 9 euros for the texts?

My understanding is that you would get charged €125 (line rental) plus €9 for the texts if that was your bill. Only Meteor 75 has an inclusive text allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ferryman

Yeah...As Fungus says, the only plan with inclusive text messages is the Meteor 75 plan, so anything other than calls to ROI or UK numbers i.e. SMS, WAP or special rate numbers are chargeable, and aren't included in your monthly commitment, so you will certainly end up paying more than the basic flat-rate charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

Was just on the phone to meteor yesterday. Said they were "probably" launching a new plan in between the 350 and 1250 plans to fill the gap. Details would be out soon.

Advertisement