Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance bizarreness, free upgrades(!)

Options
  • 12-08-2004 4:59pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Bit of background - 25 male, full license 2 years, 2 years insured as a named driver, got my own policy back in May on a BMW 316 for 1,400 TPFT with QD.

I rang them there to just suss out some other cars, and here's what it would cost for the remainder of my policy:

'96 318 IS Coupe - 229 Euro
    '97 520i - 229 Euro

'96 320i - FREE

They didn't have a '96 320i coupe on their system (?)..

I was pleasantly surprised by the 318IS quote (what I'm thinking of getting), but surely there's some mistake with a free upgrade to the 320?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No thats plausible, remember the market is in a fluid state right now with prices falling sometimes quite a bit. While May may not be that long ago its
    4 months so some movement is not beyond the bounds of possiblity. The fact the 318IS model is a coupe is what is bumping the premium as its more likely to get nicked. I'd go for the 320 (6 cylinder purr).

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

WRT the 320i being free compared to the increase with the 318iS - I had a different experience whereby an E30 320i (4dr) was much dearer to insure compared to an E36 318iS. The 320i had a bigger cc and was worth much less but has less bhp, so I assume they decided the risk purely on engine size. It is interesting that you got the opposite.
    Incidentally, which ins. co.?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

He said QD so I think he means Quinn Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

Heh, I had the same kinda experience with Eagle Star.
    I'm still on a prov, 25, with nearly 3 yrs NCB on my own policy and 1 yr named driver experience. I have fully comp on a 02 1.2 16v Clio (ins cost was bout €850) and was thinking of getting a 02 Megane coupe - 1.4 16v - they wouldn't quote me. So outta interest I asked them for a quote for a 02 Lexus IS200 (something I'm prolly never going to actually own) - I think it's a 1.6 or something - and it was €200ish extra to my premium!

It depends on your insurance history/desireability of the car etc. Of course the old thing of where you live is always a factor. Maybe Meganes are more coveted then Lexus down my way? Sometimes I wonder though :rolleyes: I woulda thought it'd be harder for me to get insured on a Lexus then a Renault! I had some fun after that finding out what I can and can't get insured on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The IS200 is 2.0 straight 6 pushing out 160bhp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mudflapgirl

The IS200 is 2.0 straight 6 pushing out 160bhp

Even more wierd then that they'll quote me on it and not a 1.4 Megane.

Advertisement