Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free transport to visit prisions?

Options
  • 12-08-2004 5:01pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭

On a related matter of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179681

I was watching Prime Time (http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0805/primetime/primetime56.smil) and they interviewed some women who has been doing a study on mount joy prision and they were talking about selling the site and moving it outside of Dublin.

Of course random people don't like this because its alot of hassel for them to visit the prision, anyway... the women doing the study suggests that these people get free transport to visit the prision because €7 per person on a bus is to much and these people are very poor.

In fairness whoever there visiting commited a crime, if the prision is on a island 50 miles off the west coaste then whoever wants to visit it has to make there own way there.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime, its a simple as that.
    Its not like your renting a flat and you get to choose where it is or that you don't like sharing a cell with someone....its supposed to be hard going or atleast somewhat hard going.

Actually forget what I said above I think we should build a multiplex cinema because its hard going when you can't see the latest movies when they come out. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Well,
    The people in prison may be guilty - but their families aren't. Haven't kids the right to see their parents? Part of the idea of a sentence is rehabilitation (allegedly , I know), but if the prisoners are to have any chance back in society surely keeping up family contacts is a step in the right direction.

Just my 2 cents worth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

ArthurDent wrote:
    Well,
    The people in prison may be guilty - but their families aren't. Haven't kids the right to see their parents? Part of the idea of a sentence is rehabilitation (allegedly , I know), but if the prisoners are to have any chance back in society surely keeping up family contacts is a step in the right direction.

Just my 2 cents worth
    True but there is a punishment aspect to it. After all, one could argue that they shouldn't be sent to prison at all because their families would be deprived. All our lives are intertwined, and criminals should learn that their actions have consequences. Besides would the get to do a lot of quality parenting in a visit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I am not a fan of the 'criminal-rights' lobby and their spokespeople (I saw the Prime Time in question and almost had to turn it off as Ivana Bacik annoys me so much - it is strange someone I don't know can anger me to such a degree!) but in this case, State-funding for free transport to the new prison is acceptable.
    If there is to be rehabilitation (however slim the chance for some inmates) the government should jump at the chance to facilitate the convicted seeing their families on a regular basis. It certainly won't cost the taxpayer too much, and the return on investment in social terms may well be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Cabaal wrote:
    On a related matter of http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179681

I was watching Prime Time (http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0805/primetime/primetime56.smil) and they interviewed some women who has been doing a study on mount joy prision and they were talking about selling the site and moving it outside of Dublin.

Of course random people don't like this because its alot of hassel for them to visit the prision, anyway... the women doing the study suggests that these people get free transport to visit the prision because €7 per person on a bus is to much and these people are very poor.

In fairness whoever there visiting commited a crime, if the prision is on a island 50 miles off the west coaste then whoever wants to visit it has to make there own way there.

If you can't do the time don't do the crime, its a simple as that.
    Its not like your renting a flat and you get to choose where it is or that you don't like sharing a cell with someone....its supposed to be hard going or atleast somewhat hard going.

Actually forget what I said above I think we should build a multiplex cinema because its hard going when you can't see the latest movies when they come out. :rolleyes:

Their planning to rip down a prison they just spent millions on doing up and adding a womens prison to, and htis is what you take objection to, prison visits being free? Get a grip on the real issue. How about the additional transport costs involved in moving prisoners to court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Syth wrote:
    True but there is a punishment aspect to it. After all, one could argue that they shouldn't be sent to prison at all because their families would be deprived. All our lives are intertwined, and criminals should learn that their actions have consequences. Besides would the get to do a lot of quality parenting in a visit?

Absolutely agree that punishment is part of prison, but the vast, vast majority of prisoners will be released and how is it going to help anyone if there is no family support, contact for the ex-convicts then - surely that is making them even more marginalised and more likely to reoffend.

The part about quality parenting o a prison visit - hmmm I don't know
    (a) are all prisoners de facto crappy parents?
    (b) surely the spouses/partners and children have some rights here - they aren't guilty of the crime and are entitled to time with their spouse/partner/father

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There should be some supports there for families. The fact they are allowed to visit helps the prisoners and facilitating this in a sensible manner should not be a problem. Everyone is different, so there will be people who will find it harder to visit the prison.

Advertisement