Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Offline Survey

Options
  • 12-08-2004 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

A new survey has been created here for Ireland Offline. :D

This survey has been designed to collect relevant data to allow us present hard facts and figures to politicians, telcos and the media as well as for our own information.

Not all the questions are mandatory, but we would appreciate you taking the time and effort to fill it out as completely and honestly as possible.

There is no requirement to give contact details, the survey is anonymous, but you can leave contact details at the end if you so wish.

Any problems with the survey can be PM'd to me, posted here or mailed to chairman at irelandoffline dot org :o

Regards

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Take the survey Take the survey Take the survey Take the survey Take the survey Take the survey Take the survey Take the survey.

Folks, we need every single person that views this forum to take this survey. Send the link on to all your friends too. Email anyone in your address book. This is really really important and in the end will be used to help benefit anyone with or wanting broadband and affordable internet access.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Done.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

/me mimics seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Done.

Off topic stuff split off here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

did it ages ago. .... (hours like, after adams post to open)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

done also

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Done ...

Should we not name and shame the ISP's ?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Strangely so far : :confused:

29 people are unhappy with service provider

12 neither happy or unhappy and

36 are happy

So I'm not sure what to make of that, I'm suprised

However later I am going to post a link to the survey on UTV support newsgroup :D

John

• Advertisement

More revealing may be the links between satisfaction of service and the type of internet connection they are using.

Moriarty wrote:
    More revealing may be the links between satisfaction of service and the type of internet connection they are using.

Missus uses some dead handy stats software to analyse survey results so I'll probably use that to extract some meaningful information, (or more likely I'll ask her very very nicely to do it for me :D )

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Done,

you should post this in the broadband forums.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Done,

you should post this in the vroadband forums.

We held off announcing it everywhere for a while to see if there was any glitches in the forum.

Couple so far which I'll fix after midnight, but nothing that will skew the existing results.

once thats done then we go mad telling everyone and anyone :)

John

We've asked the Admins to make a site-wide sticky about this. Fingers crossed they'll do it.

There's going to be a proper press release about this and a mailshot to the membership too.

Again I'd also like to enocurage everyone here to mail the link to all their friends and get them to fill it out. Please note you do not need to be a memeber of IrelandOffline to do the survey.

damien.m wrote:
    Please note you do not need to be a memeber of IrelandOffline to do the survey.

But it helps.........oh sorry thought you said something else :p

John

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Yep done and dusted by me

Cheers

Shinzon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Done..but my score was lousy ;)

Mike.

Just for info, the survey is adaptive, so if you answer yes to having broadband you get asked questions about broadband, if no then it doesn't ask you about caps etc.

Equally if you are unemployed etc it doesn't ask you about a work internet question.

If you are attending the EGM then no question about using a proxy vote :D

So if you think the questions are a bit skewed towards your connection, thats because the irrelevant questions are ignored.

I probably should add something to this effect at the start of the survey :(

John

Right

Added a note at the start stating that the survey is adaptive and gave an example.

Added a question "Have you heard of Ireland Offline"

If no then don't bother asking questions about the EGM etc

Added comment box for questions where the answer was "Other"

Added bit text re the EGM and link to the thread

None of these will affect the current data and I have a copy of the results up to that point so we can allow for the changes.

If anyone wants to test the logic you can do the survey again as often as you want; just either close out without hitting the finish button or at the end hit quit without saving.

Thanks

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Done :)

Just a bit of feedback tho..I sent it round to the guys in work, and the first question I got back was: "what is Ireland OffLine and why am I answering a load of Q's on it??"

From what I'm being told, it might be better to adjust the order so that the Internet-oriented questions are first, before the EGM stuff - particularly for people who aren't aware of the group as I had to convince him that the "relevant" BB questions were there if he persisted.

Just an opinion anyway :)

jwt wrote:
    Added a question "Have you heard of Ireland Offline"

If no then don't bother asking questions about the EGM etc

So that cuts out the IOFFL questions, I Hope :) but that was only done at about 1:00 am this morning.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

[*] Which of the above is the most important?
    Reason
    Price
    CAP
    Speed
    Service

Shouldn't ping be there too? I mean, wouldn't speed technically cover both bandwidth and ping, and those are completely separate issues. Especially to our UTV Clicksilver customers. I mean, I get good download speed at over 50 kilobytes per second, but I get a terrible ping of like 250 - 300 and thus I can't game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

exiztone wrote:
    [*] Which of the above is the most important?
    Reason
    Price
    CAP
    Speed
    Service

Shouldn't ping be there too? I mean, wouldn't speed technically cover both bandwidth and ping, and those are completely separate issues. Especially to our UTV Clicksilver customers. I mean, I get good download speed at over 50 kilobytes per second, but I get a terrible ping of like 250 - 300 and thus I can't game.

Good point....

Changed do you have broadband?
    to
    Do you have broadband at home or are you responsible for and have broadband in work?

Changed "have you heard about IrelandOffline"
    to
    "Are you a member of IrelandOffline ?

Some issues with the expiry set to 24 hours (1440 Min) and the session expiring inside 30 min.
    Have set the time limit to 10 min pending Adam coming up with a super duper techie resolution to the problem (set the cookie expiry to 1440 min perhaps?)

Bandwidth V ping as a function of speed.......

Yeah I thought about that as well, but given that a lot of people who will use the survey probably won't know what ping is or why its important. So the question became do I put it in and loads of people either ignore it or pick an answer at random or do I leave it out.
    Given that I am getting loads of comments such as what is a cap, i think adding ping to the equation is going to be messy.

However if people think its an important question and want it in let me know.

Thanks

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think the EGM and IOFFL related questions are too black & white. I might go to the EGM, but selected no because it's likelier I'm not going than going, but my reason for not going is not one of the available options which are all very negative. I have an interest in somebody pushing for the cause, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think I will have anything to contribute to your EGM.

You may also want to keep the current results quiet until you're done, or you will probably affect the outcome.

jwt wrote:
    However if people think its an important question and want it in let me know.

If you want to vent about pings please add it into the comments section at the very end. If this Survey is a success (and it appears it will be) we can create more surveys tailored to everyones needs. This is our first survey and John is having fun playing with the software and we're getting a great insight into the state of broadband in this country.

Blaster99 wrote:
    You may also want to keep the current results quiet until you're done, or you will probably affect the outcome.

Good point.

Someone mailed me asking why I was posting the changes on boards as it made us look bad.

In a word Transparency.
    If an independent third party wishes to analyse our results its important that they are aware of any changes, in order for them to compensate accordingly.

By posting any change made there is a public record of the modifications. All time stamped. The data from the survey is also date and time stamped, so its easy to see relate the two.

I personally think its good form to show people that someone is listening and responding. It’s the new motto around here.

Iwas thinking of updating the results nightly, but you are right. Se we'll keep quiet till we are all agreed that the survey is done.

One of the big problems with this survey is that originally it was supposed to be strictly about IOFFL, the members feelings etc. Then it morphed into a few extra questions about broadband and then it morphed again into its current state.

There will be more surveys and although coding up the answers to questions late at night isn't my idea of fun it is cool to see the overall results changing and rechanging hour by hour.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

jwt wrote:
    I personally think its good form to show people that someone is listening and responding. It’s the new motto around here.

Here here, and long may it continue.

.cg

Advertisement