Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing vibration

Options
  • 12-08-2004 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey all,
    My house is 16 months old, its duplex in Swords. My problem is that when I use any tap that is fed from the water tank in the attic I get a seriously loud drilling vibration though out the house that lasts for roughly 10 minutes. I believe its an air-lock in the pipes any suggestions as how I got about fixing Im a fairly Handy Andy. This happens on both hot or cold taps.

I heard of one fix which means getting a hose and taking a feed from the mains sending it back up the pipes via each tap until I hear bubbles, there has to be an easier way.

The on site plumber came over and said is was a fault with the ball cock vibrating, he fixed it, a fix which latest about 3 hours until the water was back on for some time.

All I know about plumbing is that ****e sinks to the bottom.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Fuiseog

Howya AidoX.

I have the same bad buzz going on in my new house in the past few days and I think I have it sorted out last night. All it is (in our case anyway), is the copper pipes beside the tank vibrating as the tank is refilled. If you can manage to track down exactly which pipe is vibrating then it is just a case of getting a piece of aeroboard/rubber/wood and wedging it against the pipe to prevent the pipe resonating as the water goes through it.

Hope this helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sounds like water hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭tapest

Hi
    I had a similar problem with a wc cistern After flushing the ballcock vibrated for up to 1/2 hour. Changing complete ballcock and valve assembly twice had no effect. Only when redecorating did the answer reveal itself. I changed the supply pipe as a temp arrangement, while working in that area and noise dissapeared, refill time shortened significantly. Original feed pipe was very short (3 or 4 inch) and with small offset. As simple as that. So there's another possible for your list.
    Regards
    t

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭pipers

fit an equilibrium ballcock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you'll know you have an air lock if the water is spluttering out of the taps rather than flowing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 AidoX

Thanks for all the tips. Fitted an equilibrium ballcock seemed to solve the problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭gary_s

AidoX wrote:
    Thanks for all the tips. Fitted an equilibrium ballcock seemed to solve the problem :)

I live in an apartment and usually get noise from the pipes after flushing the toilet. Turning on the cold tap in the sink beside the toilet stops the noise (as does lifting the cistern lid and lifting up the "ball" so that the water supply to the toilet is cut off for a second). Checked with Google and replacing the equilibrium ballcock seems to be the most suggested solution.

I've no DIY experience, so just wondering roughly how much a plumber would charge to do this (i.e. how much for the new ballcock fitting, and how much for the work)?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I appear to have "water-hammer" in my house.
    If I turn off the hot supply from a couple of taps I get mad vibrations.
    I have noticed however that if I wedge a bit or wood (or anything) between where the pipes come up from the mains/kitchen sink it stops it.
    (until the bung comes loose of course)
    any ideas as to what I can do?

Advertisement