Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Clay Pigeon Shooter at Olympic Games

• 12-08-2004 6:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, many of you may know that Derek Burnett is representing Ireland in the Olympics for the Olympic Trap clay pigeon event. Target.ie has been tracking his progress, and announced today that RTE are due to show his qualifying shoot at 0730 on Saturday, where he's going up against Sydney Gold and Silver medallists Michael Diamond (Australia) and Ian Peel (UK). So set your video!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sparks wrote:
    many of you may know that Derek Burnett is representing Ireland in the Olympics for the Olympic Trap clay pigeon event

i didnt know that, thanks for sharing it with us all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Its good to know that, at least even though I've as good a chance of getting a medal as he has:) RTE aren't by passing our shooters this games as they may have done in other games. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Mossy Monk wrote:
    i didnt know that, thanks for sharing it with us all

He was on the RTÉ just yesterday, he's our only shooter (as far as I know) representing us this year.

I think we really ought to have an Olympics forum where we can discuss these things! There was a thread about it that was immediately locked, I PM'ed ecksor and got a rather cryptic response about 'ulterior motives', I hope that means an Olympics forum :cool:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179437

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

TIPPTOP wrote:
    Its good to know that, at least even though I've as good a chance of getting a medal as he has:) RTE aren't by passing our shooters this games as they may have done in other games. :cool:

Yeah nice to see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Let's hope he does well. I tried Clay Pigeon Shooting once and it is great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

Its a pity Dave Malone didnt qualify. He hit a rich vein of form late on and won a major competition a while back. There was talk of trying to get him in on a wildcard but that musnt have materialised. Good look to Derek. The likes of Diamond will be very hard bet though. I wonder has he got an email address that we can send our best wishes to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

excellent. I look forward to watching it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Sparks wrote:
    RTE are due to show his qualifying shoot at 0730 on Saturday, where he's going up against Sydney Gold and Silver medallists Michael Diamond (Australia) and Ian Peel (UK). So set your video!
    My video is broken:(

And I'm unlikely to be awake at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning. Hope he does well though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He got wished well on radio today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

even though I've as good a chance of getting a medal as he has

Why TippTopp are you an olympic level skeet shot or something?
    Why are you not out there representing your country then?
    If you can't support the athletes please don't try to knock them.

I have seen Olympic level Clay Shooters and their reaction times and accuracy, nerves of steel, are inhuman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Actually TippTopp might be interested in knowing that Derek Burnett has won the European Championships, was on the team that won the World Championships and took team bronze in several World Cups in the past year, all while shooting against Diamond and Peel. David Malone also went and won a World Cup in the individual event in April, beating both Diamond and Peel. So it's most assuredly not a case of olympic tourism - these lads are amongst the best shotgun shooters in the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I have seen Olympic level Clay Shooters and their reaction times and accuracy, nerves of steel, are inhuman!
    Not inhuman Musashi, just very good :)
    But target shooting's one of those sports where you can see just about anyone take on anyone else without handicapping and have a fair competition - Min Ho Cheon, for example, is a 17-year-old korean lad who came out of nowhere to win the Athens World Cup in Air Rifle a few months ago. No handicapping needed, he just walks in and takes on guys who've been doing this sport for twice his lifespan...

Advertisement