Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

42" Plasma - Daewoo or Hitachi?

Options
  • 12-08-2004 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Was seriously considering a projector for a while but am now swinging towards a big plasma instead, mainly because I'll want to use it during the day-time (natural light conditions) and for general tv use as well as home-cinema.

Richer-Sounds have what seems to be a pretty good deal on the following;
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/Viewproducts.asp?CatID=42&ProductID=3923
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/ViewProducts.asp?CatID=42&ProductID=3952

Is the Hitachi really worth almost a grand and a half more? I'm splashing out here a bit (or 'investing in myself' as my better half likes to describe it :D ) but if it's reasonably good for sky+, dvd and xbox use I'd be happy with the Daewoo at ?2400.

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

I'd go for the Hitachi. Firstly because I don't like Daewoo plasmas. I've yet to see a Daewoo that doesn't have problems with colour saturation and bleeding, but in fairness, models are constantly evolving and they could be fine now. I'd choose almost any plasma over a Daewoo, but that's just me.

Secondly, the Hitachi model you describe has received good press and online support, although I've never seen the picture on one in the flesh. A grand and a half is a big difference alright, and it boils down to how much you love your TV. If you watch a lot of TV, you will appreciate the difference and be glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

In general the Daewoo gets awful reviews in the UK Home Cinema mags, and the Hitachi 5200 gets great reviews.

However the Plasma that Richer are selling is not the one of the home modela (5100, 5200 or 5300) rather the business model (5000). This does not have any speakers (you'd be surprised how much they cost) and Richer have fitted the tuner board themselves. There have been some reported problems with Red/Green separation on flesh tones.

pH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Oh well :rolleyes:

Had googled with little success for some positive reports for the Daewoo but was hoping for some good independant news here, guess it was too good to be true.

Should be up that way in a few weeks anyway and will try to compare side by side. Thanks for the feedback though folks.

Any better offers around Dublin for 37-42" decent screens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Bluehair wrote:

Any better offers around Dublin for 37-42" decent screens?

I too was looking at some large screens. Cant really afford a plasma screen :rolleyes: so was looking at some rear projection TV's. This is a excellent looking TV. Picture is good for a RP. And at €1999 (Sony centre limerick, €2200 in Dublin :D) it isnt too exspensive.

Only thing i found while viewing it is the "viewing Angle" isnt comparable to any LCD/Plasma screen. Still a nice TV though...

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I have just recently bought a plasma screen and i did a lot of research the only screens i would touch at the moment are the new Pioneer and Panasonic ones. If money was no object it would be the new pioneer with the HDMI inputs seriously cool. If you want quality with a plasma screen you have to pay for it dont waste your money on a cheap one they are crap

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

I'd stay away from Daewoo at all costs. Bought three different things from Daewoo and all three had to go back to the shop, serious issues with all of them. Granted, none of them was a plasma screen, but my faith in the company and their products is non existent. :)

There's a reason why they're so cheap!

Advertisement