Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best App to move files between 2 remote pc's

• 12-08-2004 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

Hi I was trying to do the above to move some files to my mates pc. I thought starting an FTP server on my machine would do the trick, but the transfer rate was lousy. I assume its an issue with either our firewalls or routers. Even though I think we've got the right ports opened and forwarded.

I was wondering if any of the p2p clients (the non spyware ones) allow connection to a known IP? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

I use winmx for this. I set a private chat room in it, my mate connects, browses my shared files then downloads. Has the advantage that he can search for other sources as he's downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If you're on dsl, you are taking into account your lower upstream bandwidth when you say your ftp connection was lousy, right?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Obviously depending on your DSL connection your either looking at 256k or 128k upstream, so as long as your not using bittorrent or something else that would satuate your upstream you'd be looking at upto 15kB/sec or 32kB/sec downloads from the other PC.
    Not great but as long as there not massive files you should be fine.

kin9pin with regards to your sig, it seems people are never happy, your stuck with dialup for years and all people do is bitch and moan now you get DSL and you bitch and moan.
    Your sig image is certainly not the best way of being productive with your problems.
    click1.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote:

kin9pin with regards to your sig, it seems people are never happy, your stuck with dialup for years and all people do is bitch and moan now you get DSL and you bitch and moan.
    Your sig image is certainly not the best way of being productive with your problems.
    click1.jpg

Unfortunately his sig image is a simple statement of fact. Do you not think people are entitled to bitch and moan when they are not getting what they are paying for. On UTV's own admission they have not got sufficient bandwidth to meet their needs. Do you think we should be grateful that bb is there and not be worrying about speeds or quality of service?

Cabaal wrote:
    click1.jpg
    I'm sorry Cabaal, but I'm paying for a Broadband service so I expect to receive a Broadband service. When/if UTV fix speeds and pings I'll change my sig.
    Would you be happy if you paid sky digital€60 a month for the extra 150 odd channels and you could only actually watch 20 of them? Or would you say "Hell, it's still better than the 4 channels I had 5 years ago"? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if its was Sky, heh yeah :p
    who the feck wants 150 channels?

Anyway imho the sig is hardly productive, yes I've read the thread and I see UTV have admitted it to be there fault (well more so on the delay on there order for extra bandwidth) but tbh the sig is hardly very productive and is not very supportive considering who lucky you are to even get contact from UTV staff on boards.
    I advised that it would be the end of the month, why not give them that atleast?

Cabaal wrote:
    who the feck wants 150 channels?
    It was an example, nothing more.
    Cabaal wrote:
    Anyway imho the sig is hardly productive
    It's not meant to be, it's my (accurate) view of Clicksilver at the moment.
    Cabaal wrote:
    not very supportive considering who lucky you are to even get contact from UTV staff on boards
    ROFL. Sorry, last time I checked I was paying a subscription to this company for Broadband. Lucky is finding a tenner in the street, not reading apologies for my "inconvenience".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

kin9pin wrote:
    Would you be happy if you paid sky digital€60 a month for the extra 150 odd channels and you could only actually watch 20 of them?
    20? Are you using picture-in-picture? I can only watch 1 at a time on mine!

Ripwave wrote:
    20? Are you using picture-in-picture? I can only watch 1 at a time on mine!

He does not actually refer to watching them simultaneously does he?
    Originally Posted by Cabaal - not very supportive considering who lucky you are to even get contact from UTV staff on boards

When that contact includes the MD describing the present situation as 'inconvenience' its not worth much.

Some people (mostly non customers of UTV mind you!) have extraordinarily good will towards UTV for some strange reason. Mostly I guess because they are not Eircom. However if Eircom had insufficient bandwidth to serve their existing customers and continued to sign up new ones can you imagine the outcry there would be? and here we have someone who is not a customer of UTV telling those of us who are to put up with the mess!!!!!!!!!

Ain't it better that the MD is posting on boards then everyone having to ring UTV and get some 1st level tech telling them it, I couldn't see Eircom doing it.

Yes its not fair that there is a bandwidth issue, but problems happen

No provider promises 100% uptime, I've seen people without any DSL for 1 month straight and still not get anything back from companies, yes its not a very fair situation but it really depends where the fault lies.

If UTV put in the request for extra bandwidth with Eircom or another provider and they are delaying the order then its that providers fault and although it looks extremely bad on the part of UTV its not 100% there fault as they did place the order.

My point is rather then using some stupid non-productive image in your sig, how about you have a talk with UTV with regards to some credit on your account.

UTV may suggest that they will deal with refunds or credit when the issues has been resolved, this in itself is perfectly exceptable.
    Have you tried going down this road yet even?

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    Ain't it better that the MD is posting on boards then everyone having to ring UTV and get some 1st level tech telling them it, I couldn't see Eircom doing it.

Yes its not fair that there is a bandwidth issue, but problems happen

No provider promises 100% uptime, I've seen people without any DSL for 1 month straight and still not get anything back from companies, yes its not a very fair situation but it really depends where the fault lies.

If UTV put in the request for extra bandwidth with Eircom or another provider and they are delaying the order then its that providers fault and although it looks extremely bad on the part of UTV its not 100% there fault as they did place the order.

My point is rather then using some stupid non-productive image in your sig, how about you have a talk with UTV with regards to some credit on your account.

UTV may suggest that they will deal with refunds or credit when the issues has been resolved, this in itself is perfectly exceptable.
    Have you tried going down this road yet even?

This is not about fairness its about a company failing to provide what it is being paid for.

Companies know they have to order bandwidth in advance. UTV promised a bandwidth upgrade which took place last month and did not even dent the problem.

There is another one scheduled for today. They are not sure how succesful this one will be in dealing with the problem.

They have continued to recruit new customers knowing that this will affect existing customers and not provide a good service for those new customers. When the issue of refunds or release from contract was raised in the support group UTV were very quick to quote the relevant terms and conditions (which effectively absolve them of any responsibility towards their customers - I am sure other ISP's have more or less the same T&C's)

The poor service now being received is directly related to UTV's failure to provide sufficient bandwidth for their existing customers and to their continuing to recruit new ones.

And as for contact with the MD if all it is is patronising PR blather which describes his company's failure to deliver as 'inconvenience' then I for one can do without it!!! Although it is revealing as to how he regards his customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Don't you have anything else to do with yourself dub45?

Cabaal, maybe you should start a new thread headed "kin9pins non-productive sig".
    I was merely posting a reply to a question and you've completely hijacked this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

secret_squirrel,
    Is your chum far away geography-wise? Might just as easy to visit his house with your rig and a cross-over ethernet cable.

If that's not an option you could try uploading your files (zip and encrypt) to a public FTP site somewhere and then he/she could download? Maybe do it a file at a time? You might also be able to ZIP everything up, split it into 1MB chunks and mail them. Don't know how much data you're talking about but I thought I'd suggest it anyway.

Finally, if there's no urgency you could just burn a CD/DVD and mail it (if you had a CD/DVD burner).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

My advice would lie in the FTP route, i use GuildFTPd as my FTP program, and i find it easy to use, and has everything i need in it. Tis also free (i think). Give that a shot.

If you are experiencing abnormally slow FTP speeds, then just use a non-standard port. Default ftp port is 21, so just set that to something completely different in GuildFTPd.

(the port option is available in the accounts, if you know what i mean. Each user can be specified a port. You should spot what i mean).

kin9pin wrote:
    Cabaal, maybe you should start a new thread headed "kin9pins non-productive sig".
    I was merely posting a reply to a question and you've completely hijacked this thread.

Really did I now?
    I gave advice of the subject of this thread and then added a side note nothing more,

In this case you are as much to blame as I am for making most of this thread off-topic
    It takes two to tango after all...

On-Topic:
    Regarding file transfer
    Do yourself and your friend have a gmail account?
    You could use winrar to rar a very large file to 10MB rar archives and then e-mail them to him using the gmail account (it allows 10MB attachments)

Google may not like it but it should do the trick nicely and you'll have 1GB of webspace to play with...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Cabaal wrote:
    Regarding file transfer
    Do yourself and your friend have a gmail account?
    You could use winrar to rar a very large file to 10MB rar archives and then e-mail them to him using the gmail account (it allows 10MB attachments)

Google may not like it but it should do the trick nicely and you'll have 1GB of webspace to play with...
    e-mail is not a great way for transferring files, because binary attachments will automatically be encoded as UUE or Base64 files, adding at least 30% to the file size.

But if you do want to use e-mail, get a free eircom.net e-mail account - 50MB of space in your mailbox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Thanks for the reply's folks (the on topic ones at least). When I said lousy xfer rate I meant around 1kb/s for a standard 128/512 IOL adsl line. Have also experienced the same problem trying to share files with him via msn. Have no problems d/l & u/l on DC++.

Its serveral 30-60Mb avi's so email/rar's not really a runner.

Will try the non standard ftp port (im using cerberus ftp server) and maybe the winmx solution.

Advertisement