Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wet mobile phones...

• 10-06-2001 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

anyone have any tips on getting a mobile phone to work again after it gets wet?
    i put it in some wet grass the other day and now the buttons dont work.
    i know someone who spilt beer on his and the same thing happened. but he hit his off the wall until it worked again.
    Anyone have any other tips (hitting off the wall doesnt seem to work) smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

take it apart.
    get some kitchen towel if theres any wet patchs and dry them up.
    if there isnt any just leave the bits in the sun or something... should be ok after an hour or two.

probably just bit of damp underneath the key contacts or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well my freind dropped her phone in a river. She left it for bout a week and then it worked fine.

(Insert quote here)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Puck

Well if it's just water the old hair dryer might work. Stand it upright and allow the air to blow up into it.

John (yes THE John!)
    john.filetap.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

take it apart - as much as you can without using a screwdriver and put it somewhere warm for a few days. when mine got dumped in a pint of larger I left it on the radiator for 3 days and it started working again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yep, I'm a big believer in opening electrical products up and leaving to dry out. I accidentally tipped a huge vase of flowers filled with water down the back of a TV. Lets just say everything got a good soaking. I opened it up, left it to dry, with a bit of help from Mr Hairdryer, after a few days it was working again. Happy days. This TV has since been replaced with a nice Sony 32" Wide Screen and DVD player smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Discoballpaul

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by WhiteWashMan:
    does it matter? or is there a special 'this phone will work 3 hours after a good beer soakage' features phone?</font>

Yup, I work for Ericsson and some phones are designed with better seams which minimise water damage. e.g. splash a Nokia 3310 with water and you're buying a new phone however splash a 5110 and you're laughing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Discoballpaul:
    Yup, I work for Ericsson and some phones are designed with better seams which minimise water damage. e.g. splash a Nokia 3310 with water and you're buying a new phone however splash a 5110 and you're laughing</font>

i think we can safely say that he got his phone wet.
    not may have got wet. he wouldnt put up a post that said, 'i might have got my phone wet, but im not sure, how did you get your phone dry after it got wet, just in case i did get it wet, which of course im not sure'

no....
    i think it got wet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Yup, I work for Ericsson </font>

where do u work?
    i work for them too

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You could of course be like me and get a waterproof phone...
    WAN DA ERICSSON R310s!!!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Points to ponder:

Do you have phone insurance (it's OK I'm not selling)?

Professional repairs can be costly £20+.

Un-Professional repairs can short out your circuit board.

Get a case (it will also protect the button and screen from wear and tear).

Of course the concept of designed obselesence (designing a product to have a limited working life) comes to mind.

Changing call sign to SIERRA PAPA OSCAR OSCAR FOXTROT.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Discoballpaul

What type of phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

What type of phone?</font>

does it matter? or is there a special 'this phone will work 3 hours after a good beer soakage' features phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

LOL WWM, Same thing happened to my phone, pint of water got poured on it, left it dry out and it worked fine (siemens C25 for those that care)

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭rumpelstiltskin

cheers for the info lads, i'll give it a shot.
    and anyway, its a siemens c35

/me begins to pull phone apart...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

My siemens M35 can get fairly wet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

ok here's what you do..

bring it back to the shop.. let it dry out a bit first and stuff.
    tell them you left it on your windowsill for a few days and you've no idea why it won't work.

mine was left out in the rain all night and they said there must have been moisture on the window i left it beside (ahem) so they replaced it for free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

What up Micro
    I work in Beech Hill in Dublin
    But with any luck i'll get the sack soon
    </font>

have a look @ http://erichat.etm.ericsson.se

My M35 was supposed to be shock and water proof. I have hit that phone so hard off the wall that paint cam off on it but one day it just rolled off the bed and fell at most 3 feet and the screen broke! Story o' my life!
    It'll cost me 60 quid to get it fixed!

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

[This message has been edited by Puck (edited 14-06-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

put it in a microwave AND RUN!!!!! biggrin.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

my m35i seems fairly resistant, i droped it, thrown it! biggrin.gif and even droped it in the bath once n it still works fine! smile.gif

"just because you're not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after you!"

• Advertisement

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by irishguy:
    put it in a microwave AND RUN!!!!! biggrin.gif</font>

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Microwave chips just ain't the same as the real ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Gerry

I thought my siemens c25 was quite invincible. It was a football at witness for a while, then ended up in a pint of guinness. It still worked, although it did switch off a bit. This eventually sorted itself out, then one night I went to hit the buttons, and broke the screen instead. Hmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

Hope no-one minds if I change the subject slightly but while we're on the topic of phones, maybe someone can help.. smile.gif

I have an ericsson t10 at the moment and the problem with it is that lately I can barely hear whoever's on the other end of the line. I can't find an option to turn the volume up.. maybe there's none.

Damn annoying. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">My siemens M35 can get fairly wet</font>

Oh can it now? And how did you experiment how much wetness your phone can handle? smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kharn:
    You could of course be like me and get a waterproof phone...
    WAN DA ERICSSON R310s!!!

</font>

Can also be used as a spreading device wink.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by androphobic:
    Hope no-one minds if I change the subject slightly but while we're on the topic of phones, maybe someone can help.. smile.gif

I have an ericsson t10 at the moment and the problem with it is that lately I can barely hear whoever's on the other end of the line. I can't find an option to turn the volume up.. maybe there's none.

Damn annoying. smile.gif
    </font>

I thought there was two little buttons on the side of T10s that can control the volume.

John (yes THE John!)
    "Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rosie posie

leave it on a radiator with a towel under it this worked for me!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D-Generate:
    My siemens M35 can get fairly wet</font>

Just watch out for scratching the screen - it is too soft for my liking. I now use the case from my old phone on it.

[This message has been edited by Victor (edited 23-06-2001).]

Advertisement