Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which firewall to use?

Options
  • 12-08-2004 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

So far I've used the Zone Alarm firewall, granted I felt it was bloated, but it did the job well. I tried out the Sygate one last night, its far more minimal but half the time it won't detect a program that's trying to connect to the internet and for the life of me I can't find any way to add programs manually. Plus I think it killed IE on me.

What other firewalls are out there to try? I need something with a small, secure and which gives me full control over what programs I add and remove to it.

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭dogs

Moved to more appropriate board.

...Last days of moving off-topic threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/

Outpost firewall, I've been running it for nearly a year now and had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I'd recommend Kerio. It's the same situation as with ZoneAlarm - get the "trial" version and it becomes the free version after your X days trial. The pro version just ads fancy extras (that I don't need cause of firefox anyway) such as ad blocking, pop-up blocking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Norton FireWall 2004 is excellent. Even though their AV is'nt ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

That Outpost firewall is pretty damm nice. It even saves me from having to install a seperate ad filter for IE. Cheers for the link.

• Advertisement

Yay I win \o/ :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Fenster wrote:
    So far I've used the Zone Alarm firewall, granted I felt it was bloated, but it did the job well. I....

Its bloated? With what?

Zone alarm is a system hog and last two times I tried Zone Alarm, it went tits up and took my system with it. Thats when I gave up on ZA and moved onto Outpost, and I've had no problems since.

I just felt that it was throwing more superfluous options at me that was needed. Like why would I want my firewall to monitor my anti-virus software or securly store my ebay password?

Stuff like that. I'm just not a fan of all-singing, all-dancing software when I just want it to do its job.

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Zone alarm is a system hog and last two times I tried Zone Alarm, it went tits up and took my system with it. Thats when I gave up on ZA and moved onto Outpost, and I've had no problems since.

I must check out oupost never heard of it before. Mind you ZA has never given me any problems on any PC I've installed it on. There was one bad update a while back but I just rolled back to the previous version till their next release.
    Fenster wrote:
    I just felt that it was throwing more superfluous options at me that was needed. Like why would I want my firewall to monitor my anti-virus software or securly store my ebay password?

Stuff like that. I'm just not a fan of all-singing, all-dancing software when I just want it to do its job.

Well the AV probably was trying to update itself from the web, so its prefectly valid. Dunno what the ebay thingy does, I've never used it. Bit odd that its there alright. I like em lean and mean myself. I tried a few myself but I kept coming back to ZA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have a nice little firewall on my router, but if I must I use Kerio Firewall, I used to use AtGuard before symantec butchered it!
    The f*ckers, they should have left a good product alone

What I was going to add about ZA earlier, but didn't get a chance, was that I'm also leery of the "all in one" protection system. We tell everyone to avoid Norton for a reason. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fenster wrote:

Something tells me you downloaded the Pro trial instead of the basic version...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Dun wrote:
    I'd recommend Kerio.

Are you a gamer? I've heard of people getting lag while using this firewall due to the way it uses the CPU.

doodle: It was the basic trial vesion. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I'm using OutPost aswell. Works well, does what it needs to do.

The ZA I downloaded is the freeware and the trial. You choose which on the install.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

I'm not a gamer - but I turn it off when I'm offline doing web development works, as it does slow the connection to localhost (127.0.0.1) a tad, so I guess it might provide a gaming lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Are you a gamer? I've heard of people getting lag while using this firewall due to the way it uses the CPU.
    I get no lag when i use Kerio Personal Firewall, but if you use Winroute firewall, you have to put your game into low priority, or else you will lag badly. Its strange, but once you remember to put games in low priority, you're grand. This only happens with Winroute Firewall btw.

Advertisement