Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending SMS msgs to Ireland from US

Options
  • 12-08-2004 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all

I am travelling to US for first time with my mobile which is able to work over there. The vodafone site is useless at telling me how to send text messages from the US on my mobile.

I assume that I will have to put 011353 etc infront of number or will the + sign work?

Also anyone got experience of reliability in receiving SMS's from Ireland and the best service to use?
    Thanks

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I'm in the US at the moment. SMSing works perfect for me. Both with my US number and my Irish number.

I'd suggest sticking to the Cingular network when you get here. For me (with Meteor) it costs €1.29/min with Cingular to call home compared with €2.20/min for AT&T!!! I don't know if thats just the agreement Meteor have with them or what.

It would be worth your while calling Voda before you go and asking the different charges you are going to pay for different services and different networks.

Putting a + infront of numbers is the easiest way to go. If you store all your numbers like that in your phone, you can travel anywhere and it will always work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭pleba

when you send a txt from abroad, you don't need to put a 00353 or +353 in front of the destination number, provided it is an Irish mobile destination. You can send it to 085, 086 or 087. You just need to ensure that your Message Centre number is stored as +3538xxxxxxxx

However when making a call from abroad, the 00 or + prefix needs to be entered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 cuddles_ie

Thanks a lot...off to sort out the contacts list!

pleba wrote:
    when you send a txt from abroad, you don't need to put a 00353 or +353 in front of the destination number, provided it is an Irish mobile destination. You can send it to 085, 086 or 087. You just need to ensure that your Message Centre number is stored as +3538xxxxxxxx.

I was in Belfast in September 2003, roaming via O2 UK, and I had to use the +353 prefix because it just didn't work otherwise. I checked my phone now and the message centre number is entered in the international format. Still, even if I did use the +353 prefix some of the SMS messages never got there. Very unreliable if you ask me. :rolleyes:

Advertisement