Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Cannabis be made legal.

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

adjodlo wrote:
    Educating people wont help anything. In fact, it would probably just lead to more young people using it.
    Education is bad!
    Down with education.

We've already seen how educating teenagers on sex has led to more teenage pregnancies.

Lets pretend drugs don't exist, then nobody will use them.
    [/sarcasm]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

Well in my school at least, I was "educated" about drugs just as much as about sex and that didn't stop anyone. Whenever anyone came into talk to a class like that about drugs everyone would just use it as an excuse to doss.

And if you're going to reply to my post at least try and fricken counter point it rather than just spouting sarcastic dribble.

Well in my school at least, I was "educated" about drugs just as much as about sex and that didn't stop anyone. Whenever anyone came into talk to a class like that about drugs everyone would just use it as an excuse to doss.

I think what he meant about the eduicating of Drugs, was that by telling students the wide variety, and their affects, they could make a reasonable choice, that Cannabis is safer. In comparison with just about every drug out there, (including Alcohol) the affects are more pleasent, and has less of an impact on their lives. Sure some people will ignore the subject matter, but the majority will have an interest because its forbidden. At least it was that way when I went to school, and that was when Athlone has the largest amount of drugs passing through it, as opposed to any other large town in Ireland.

Students will be aware of the existance of drugs, becaue more likely than not they will have seen some friends use it, or comment on it. It would be better by far, to learn such info at school, so they could make a informed decision on whether to use it or not. God knows, I took "speed" before I knew anything about it.
    Educating people wont help anything. In fact, it would probably just lead to more young people using it.

Doubtful. If they weren't already interested in Cannabis/drugs, they're unlikely to take their Teachers opinions any more seriously than their own. However, what the edcuational services can do, is give students the knowledge to avoid drugs that are physically dangerous, and inform them which drugs are extremely illegal. Rather than the Urban Legends that float around most schools.

And if Educating people doesn't help, then how have you gotten a job or achieved anything? Cause obviously school/college must have had some impact on you otherwise you wouldn't be able to speak/write english or use a computer.
    ronanp wrote:
    You may find they really started out by using bad language, smoking ciggarettes, and skipping mass. Almost every cannabis user i've ever met did all three of those before ever smoking cannabis.

LoL. spot on. I'm serious. I did all that prior to trying cannabis. Or speed.
    I'm sorry, but cannabis is a nasty piece of work and I'm fed up of people romanticising it as something harmless.

Its not harmless. It does have psychological affects that can be quite serious. However, I'm tired of people scaremongering into placing cannabis up there with Coke or other Hard drugs.

Which would you prefer? people using cannabis or using pills... I for one would prefer Cannabis. And lets face it, most people are offered one or the other at some stage of school/college.
    PH01 wrote:
    Also, if you want to legalise cannabis you have to legalise it all over the world. This is the only way to stop the funds from the sale of cannabis getting into the hands of crime and terrorists.

Why does it need to be legalised all over the world? It has worked in Holland, despite being illegal in most other countries. And we're talking about Cannabis, not where terrorists/Crinimals get their funding.

LoL. spot on. I'm serious. I did all that prior to trying cannabis. Or speed.

haha me too.
    Its not harmless. It does have psychological affects that can be quite serious. However, I'm tired of people scaremongering into placing cannabis up there with Coke or other Hard drugs.

Which would you prefer? people using cannabis or using pills... I for one would prefer Cannabis. And lets face it, most people are offered one or the other at some stage of school/college.

Exactly. But if I had the choice of people using heroin or pills, I'd choose pills. The lesser of two evils tbh.

Why does it need to be legalised all over the world? It has worked in Holland, despite being illegal in most other countries. And we're talking about Cannabis, not where terrorists/Crinimals get their funding.

Decriminalisation, maybe, but it shouldn't be allowed in public (as with alcohol). Legalisation, definitely not. I don't want to have every knacker south of the border running around with spliffs 24/7. It would become the new knacker drinking(And I don't mean kids knacker drinking, I mean all the knackers who drink outside in town).

Besides, if I ever want some hash I'm happy to pay 100 for 28 grams. Legalised it would be at least 10 a gram over here. And thats being optimistic.

Exactly. But if I had the choice of people using heroin or pills, I'd choose pills. The lesser of two evils tbh.

Lesser of two evils? Pills? You would count an E which has the chance of killing someone outright, and in many cases causes violent tendacies as being safer than Hash?
    Decriminalisation, maybe, but it shouldn't be allowed in public (as with alcohol). Legalisation, definitely not. I don't want to have every knacker south of the border running around with spliffs 24/7. It would become the new knacker drinking(And I don't mean kids knacker drinking, I mean all the knackers who drink outside in town).

Strange. You see, I have never seen a violent Stoner. Nor a stoner that can remain angry for longer than 1 minute. From going to school with knackers, I would prefer to have knackers and the poor with access to cannabis rather than alcohol. Make society a much safer place. And the thing is, its virtually impossible to remain stoned 24/7. The person would sober up from smoking too much, just as you can with alcohol. The difference is that with cannabis its possible to build up such a tolerance that you're almost immune to teh substance. Alcohol can still affect you regardless of the amount you drink normally.

Saying that though, excessive use of Cannabis can lead to socialogical problems, especially those of interacting with people, which can lead to paranoia. Still, much better than the violent tendacies that seem to go alongside with alcohol abuse.

But, Yes, I'm starting to agree with you. Decriminalisation, seems to be the better option, since reading this thread as opposed to my original stance of full legalisation. :p

• Advertisement

Lesser of two evils? Pills? You would count an E which has the chance of killing someone outright, and in many cases causes violent tendacies as being safer than Hash?

Well when I tried pills there was no way I would have started any violence. I was hugging everyone and ended up in a field sitting in a circle holding hands with a load of my mates who had also taken them. I've never really heard of, or seen anyone who started a fight on pills. Maybe on the comedown the next day but that's about it. It's pretty safe to take pills if you're cautious about it and use tester kits. It's rare that you see someone dieing from taking e, but when someone does the papers have a field day.
    Strange. You see, I have never seen a violent Stoner. Nor a stoner that can remain angry for longer than 1 minute. From going to school with knackers, I would prefer to have knackers and the poor with access to cannabis rather than alcohol. Make society a much safer place. And the thing is, its virtually impossible to remain stoned 24/7. The person would sober up from smoking too much, just as you can with alcohol. The difference is that with cannabis its possible to build up such a tolerance that you're almost immune to teh substance. Alcohol can still affect you regardless of the amount you drink normally.

Saying that though, excessive use of Cannabis can lead to socialogical problems, especially those of interacting with people, which can lead to paranoia. Still, much better than the violent tendacies that seem to go alongside with alcohol abuse.

But, Yes, I'm starting to agree with you. Decriminalisation, seems to be the better option, since reading this thread as opposed to my original stance of full legalisation. :p

Yeah I never see violent stoners either, but then again I only really smoke with people who are the college types. I remember seeing a documentary about joyriders and whatnot on primetime and they were all smoking joints. Not that hash had anything to do with it but if the person is generally and angry unsocial fooker then they will still be after smoking hash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

God,

can the original poster not find something original to post about. This place is getting almost as bad as PI's for repetition.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=83786&page=1&pp=20

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Utter, utter tripe.

There have been no recorded deaths from cannabis usage in the world ever. Compare that to the amount of people who die from tobacco related illness. People never get rushed to the A&E room for being too stoned. compare that to the amount of people rushed to the Emergency rooms for alchohol poisoning, and its cost to the exchequer.

can the original poster not find something original to post about. This place is getting almost as bad as PI's for repetition.

I apologise i wasnt a member of Boards.ie at the time you posted that thread. it is also worth noting that i added another dimension to the cannabis debate asking people if they think it should be decriminalised for personal consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There have been no recorded deaths from cannabis usage in the world ever

That's a lovely unsubstantiated figure. Any links, because it seems a tad odd!

• Advertisement

i'm sure what he means is that nobody has ever died instantaneously from cannabis usage, but then again isnt the toxicity level of cabbabis something like half your body weight??

Same can be said for smoking tobacco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

From

http://www.ccguide.org.uk/answers.html
    This quantity is known as the LD-50 rating - that is the dose above which 50 per cent of animals tested have dies. It has never been possible to give enough cannabis to an animal to kill it. It is estimated that the LD-50 for cannabis is around 1:20,000, which means that an average human would have to be given at least 20,000 times as much cannabis as is contained in the average joint or spliff. Based upon the dosage supplied to patients on the NIDA program in the USA, this would mean consumption of some 1500 pounds in weight of cannabis within 15 minutes to induce death. This of course is impossible and cannabis can accurately be described as non-toxic.
    The figure of 20,000, sometimes quoted as 40,000, was based upon research carried out in the laboratory on mice using concentrated THC.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/tobacco/nicotine_data_sheet3.shtml
    LD50-LC50 Mixture: ORAL LD50 (RAT/MOUSE): 50 MG/KG
    Health Haz Acute And Chronic: MAY BE FATAL IF ABSORBED THROUGH SKIN/
    INHALED/INGESTED. EXPOSURE CAN CAUSE LIVER & KIDNEY DAMAGE/ADVERSE
    REPRODUCTIVE EFFECTS/DELAYED LUNG INJURY/CARDIOVASCULAR SYSTEM INJURY/
    RESPIRATORY TRACT IRRITATION/DELAYED ADVERSE HEALTH EFFECTS/NERVOUS SYSTEM
    INJURY. POSSIBLE CUMULATIVE POISON. (SEE SUPP)

5000 Milligrams of nicotine is fatal, but seeing as pure nicotine isnt available in every day circumstaces, 500 ciggarettes in 15 min should do the job, tho the carbon monxide poisioning would probably get ya first.

I dont have a link but its referred to on the 3rd last track of the streets` first album if you wanna check it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I posted links earlier in the thread...

it's nice to know people read before posting

adjodlo wrote:
    And if you're going to reply to my post at least try and fricken counter point it rather than just spouting sarcastic dribble.
    drivel, you mean drivel. :rolleyes:
    adjodlo wrote:
    Decriminalisation, maybe, but it shouldn't be allowed in public (as with alcohol). Legalisation, definitely not. I don't want to have every knacker south of the border running around with spliffs 24/7.

Me pictures every knacker south of the border lolling around all day smoking pot and laughing at clouds...

Me pictures every knacker south of the border running around beating ppl up, mugging, fighting, stealing, vandalising...

Me like stoned knackers better.

Legal -> Tax -> Regulation -> Quality control -> No soap -> Good

Decriminalised -> No Tax -> No regulation -> Shìte quality -> Profits still go to gangs / terrorists ( :eek: ) -> Bad

Duh!

</sarcastic drivel>

Are you even making a point? You prefer if knackers are getting stoned all day? Well done. Let's legalise it just so every knacker will be stoned and wont annoy us.

adjodlo wrote:
    Are you even making a point? You prefer if knackers are getting stoned all day? Well done. Let's legalise it just so every knacker will be stoned and wont annoy us.
    I was being sarcastic - all the knackers are stoned most of the time anyway, and often not on pot. Unfortunately, even when stoned they are still knackers and feel obliged to decrease the quality of life for everyone else.

There are lots of good reasons to legalize pot. They are listed throughout this thread. I'm not going to restate them.

Try to clear your mind* of pre-conceptions and the propaganda which has plagued honest cannabis users for the last 50 years or so and read the whole thread from the beginning.

When you are finished, please give one reason for de-criminilising as opposed to legalizing. Then I'll argue the point.

* I would suggest some pot to help clear your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Gurgle wrote:
    I was being sarcastic - all the knackers are stoned most of the time anyway, and often not on pot. Unfortunately, even when stoned they are still knackers and feel obliged to decrease the quality of life for everyone else.

There are lots of good reasons to legalize pot. They are listed throughout this thread. I'm not going to restate them.

Try to clear your mind* of pre-conceptions and the propaganda which has plagued honest cannabis users for the last 50 years or so and read the whole thread from the beginning.

When you are finished, please give one reason for de-criminilising as opposed to legalizing. Then I'll argue the point.

* I would suggest some pot to help clear your mind.

I take it you havn't read many of the anti legalisation posts then? There's just as many if not more reasons to keep it illegal. Decriminalize it maybe, but it will just open the drug to a lot more people, a lot of whom will be smoking it who wouldn't otherwise be.

If you had read any of my posts you would know that I was a very heavy pot smoker, actually I've smoked a good few j's/bowls/waterfalls in the last 3 days...I know what it's like. I know what happens when you only use a bit, or when you smoke every day. I know from personal experience, AND from everyone else I've known that's smoked (a LOT of people).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

oh yeah, but you're a stoner so you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about

filthy unmotivated hash-head

• Advertisement

adjodlo wrote:
    I take it you havn't read many of the anti legalisation posts then? There's just as many if not more reasons to keep it illegal. Decriminalize it maybe, but it will just open the drug to a lot more people, a lot of whom will be smoking it who wouldn't otherwise be.

I have read the posts, I just wasn't reading who said what. :o

Its effectively decriminalised already; unless you really annoy a guard, he's not going to haul you in for having a quarter in your pocket.

no but the bástard will take your lump and your pipe :(

adjodlo wrote:
    no but the bástard will take your lump and your pipe :(
    I is a tad bit confused.
    If it was decriminilised but not legalised, won't they be taking your lump & pipe anyway ?
    Also, dealing would still be illegal, you would still be associating with a criminal. Actually, come to think of it, you would be aiding the dealer in breaking the law by buying off him.

This post has been deleted.

Excuse me but what are you talking about? I assume you're trying to take the piss?

BuffyBot wrote:

Here is one

Following the inquest Professor John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College, London, commented: "This type of death is extremely rare. I have not seen anything like this before."

So theres one or two deaths from cannabis recorded so far? Hell theres probably more chance of lightning hitting the same spot three times in a row.

Thing is, the way that cannabis is used by society, there is a less risk of death/illness as opposed to any other form of drug out there. At least to my knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 MucFluck

Hi all, first post. :D

I think ye've all got the argument wrong, altough I didn't really read trough the whole thing (lazy stonner :p ). The argument isn't should cannabis be legalised or should it stay illegal, the argument should be. Is Cannabis dangerous enough to be classed as an illegal drug?

Even tough I support the legalisation I would never say Cannabis is safe, nothing is. Everything harms your body in some way, but I feel the effects cannabis are not harmful enough to the sensible user or the people around him/her. I'll just add to the list of long term smokers (5 years), I have a job, a car don't live at home and like to enjoy a spliff and a cup of tea when I come home. I really don't see what I'm doing wrong.

I don't see cannabis ever being legalised. Neither side is willing to crompremise or even listen to the other but thats common place these days.

I can't even get that monged on it any more I tried some of the harder drugs but there not great ether. Coke has to be the most over rated drug ever! Pills are ok but the people that use them are usually tits and listen to **** music. I kinda liked LSD but got weak ones so would like to try it and shrooms. Over all tough the hard drugs aint all there cracked up to be. I just hang around the gateway with me spliff.

Advertisement