Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT problems - Azureus - Port Forwarding?

Options
  • 13-08-2004 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Please Help,
    I have recently been suing Azureus as my BitTorrent client. But i only get a crappy yellow face and really want the green one !!
    How can I fix this "NAT problem" ?
    or does anyone have a link to a 'very simply put' Port Forwarding FAQ'S ? I suspect this is part of the problem, but I've hit a wall!!
    Any help would be great,
    Thanks.

P>S>
    I've set up 1 port for Azureus which it seems to like :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Are you using an Eircom connection?

doodle's definitive guide to port forwarding an Eircom Cayman 3341 router

1) Open a DOS prompt, and type ipconfig, hit enter.
    2) Get the Gateway IP address (it should end in .254) and enter it into a browser window
    3) In the side navigator bar, click Expert Mode, and hit ok when warned.
    4) Click Configure.
    5) Click Advanced (near the bottom of the page).
    6) In the table marked NAT, go to Pinholes.
    7) Click Add.
    8) Give the Pinhole a name (I suggest BitTorrent).
    9) Set the External Port Start to 6881, and External Port End to 6889.
    10) Set the Internal IP Address to your current IP address (the same as the gateway IP, changing .254 to .1).
    11) Set the Internal Port to 6881.
    12) Click Submit.
    13) Click the yellow Alert button in the top right.
    14) Hit Save and Restart. The router will switch itself off and on again. It will take a few minutes for it to re-sync, and the page will refresh when it is ready.
    15) Open Azureus, and begin the downloads. If you still have problems, enter the configuration and disable the UPnP plugin.
    16) Enjoy the smiley green faces as you look at downloads flow.

As an aside, something detailed like this (also detailing how to do it on Esat and other supliers) should be stickified for future newbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

newbie2 wrote:
    I have recently been suing Azureus

Good luck with the court case...! :D

Seriously though, it depends on the gear you're using. The general principle is this:

Your PC's actual address is something private e.g. 192.168.1.5. Your connection's actual address is something public e.g. 212.32.135.64 (this is totally made up, by the way). You need BT machines on the internet to see Azureus on your PC as if it had the public address, so you need to connect the required posts on the router to the same ports on the PC - this is port forwarding. Each router will have a different way of doing this.

If doodle's post doesn't help you, post some details of your setup, and we'll get you sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

First of all, thanks for the help,
    I tried doodles way of port forwarding and did the whole restart thing but i'm still getting a poxy yellow face :mad:

Pinhole Name Bittorrent
    Protocol Select TCP
    External Port Start 6881
    External Port End 6889
    Internal IP Address 192.168.1.1
    Internal Port 6881

I'm connected to 37 seeds and 28 peers but only getting a max of 20kbps

It says I don't have a remote connection !!!

Am I doing something arse-ways ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Did you turn off the UPnP plugin? This can cause problems...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Try apening ports 6881-6999.

• Advertisement

Opening those ports conflict with Real Audio ! - Although I did delete Real Player off my machine - and everything to do with real player.

The plug n play is de activated.. I dunno what the problem could be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

firstly, Azureus uses only one port, no need to go opening more than one for it.

Start up Azureus, and flick open the Configuration wizard. Then, choose the connection that matches your own, and keep hitting next until you get the the port selection screen. Here choose a random port, such as 4592 (use that if you want), and type that in. Before you do anything else, open/forward that port in your router. Then click on the "test" button. This will check to see if its set up correctly.

When you run the test, it'll tell you if its ok, or if there is a NAT error. If you get an error, double and triple check your router settings. If it says everythings ok, then just continue onwards, and once you close the conguratuion wizard, you're all set up.

Thanks for all your help
    It was the PlugnPlay in the netopia configuration. I had to disable it.

Again thanks to everyone for their help

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Hi all. Um, I have the exact same problem as Newbie2, except that I didn't understand the answers. I'm pretty new to this broadband malarky. I've got IOL BB 512kps dsl.

For one, how do I disable PnP?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Nevermind, I worked it out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭popey21

pulling my hair out here. i still keep getting Testing port 6881 ... NAT Error
    have tried everthing suggested. what should the Internal IP Address be

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

What if your Default Gateway doesnt end in .254. mine ends in 1?
    Im using bitspirit & im have the same problem, any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 4000Holes

I'm having similar problems: trying to play PES4 online but can't connect to people when I'm the client. It's fine when I host though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wishon

Opened a filterset and fixed NAT for port 6881, but still I get errors when starting Azureus. "UPnP: Mapping 'Incoming Peer Data Port (TCP/6881)' failed" is the message. My router is an Netopia Cayman 3357W, and I'm stuck. Anyone who can help, appreciate it a lot! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

reenable upnp on the router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wtfer

a HUGE BUMP

can anyone help me with this problem?
    thing is I get the damn yellow NAT problem face, BUT I DO NOT HAVE A ROUETR like the other ppl who have this problem!

I am using my DSL modem directly to my computer
    & disabled UPnP & but that doesn't change anything

I also disconnected my DSL & turned on my AOL dial-up connection & SAME THING, the face that keeps telling me I have a NAT problem

can ANYONE HELP?
    what can I do to check to see if I can fix this considering i don't use a router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wtfer

P.S.

anyone know how to fix NAT problems when someone is NOT USING A ROUTER?
    because all the problems I hear are from routers & I only have a DSL modem connected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Anarchist

I have a netgear and I too am a noob at pc stuff, plz anyone help me as I too only get yellow on my bittornado which in turn = to crappy d/l speeds
    help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 ladida

Dump Azuerus and use Bit Tornado.

NAT is provided by the router, and unless you got some form of device capable of translation, you won't have NAT. Disable any UPnP in the BT client, not the router itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 timstro

There must be some other reason I'm getting NAT errors with Azureus. Like the many you, I only get yellow faces, and none of my files are coming from remotes. When I go to config wizard to test the listening port, it always comes back NAT error.

After double and triple checking my port forwarding I finally gave up and just bypassed my router and plugged the dsl modem directly into the computer.

Surprise, surprise, still getting the NAT error, no matter which port I try.

There must be something else going on. Is azureus just busted? Has anyone solved this problem by switching to a new bit torrent client? I'm using Mac OS.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spyrojyros_tail

Hey, im getting a bit lost here, im following the doodle's guide but...

1) Open a DOS prompt, and type ipconfig, hit enter.
    2) Get the Gateway IP address (it should end in .254) and enter it into a browser window
    3) In the side navigator bar, click Expert Mode, and hit ok when warned.
    4) Click Configure.
    5) Click Advanced (near the bottom of the page).
    6) In the table marked NAT, go to Pinholes.

when i get to this point im stuck! im just recently got broadband and im wondering if they updated the sofware. Because at this point all i can see is

NAT(Games and other services)
    "Define Custom Service" btn and "Static NAT" btn where the hell is the "add" btn?

If you do go into "define custom service" there is no place to put your IP address

So im stuck! Anyone else have a problem like this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 spyrojyros_tail

Ok just to clear things up for people that have just recently got broadband and have a Eircom Netopia Router (3347NWG) follow Doodles guide but when you go to the NAT section on your router you should see this

http://members.boards.ie/kdjac/nat.JPG (less the *PES thing)

click on define a custom service and define one like this http://img15.echo.cx/my.php?image=nat7au.jpg

Enter port 6881 in each of the 3 boxes and press next

enable static NAT to your machine ( same page ) and set the firewall to low. This will allow the pinhole to be used by Azureus

Now this worked for me, hopefully it will work for you too, and you will have a nice surprise when you see a green face on Azureus!

Many thanks to aidan_walsh for the guide and KdjaC for his help

• Registered Users Posts: 16 baconsoft

Hi
    I had similar problems with the Eircom Netopia 3347wg but eventually got green smileys on Azureus. My download speed is awful. I followed the advice on portforward.com ie:

1. Set up static IP address for pc outside range of DHCP server
    2. Changed listening port for Azureus to 49153
    3. Forwarded UDP/TCP port 49153 in the Netopia router config
    4. Disabled uPnP in Azureus.

This was the only way I could get it to work but the the download speeds I am getting are cr*ppy. Hardly ever above 10kbps. Could this be due to the way I have set up or are there other factors here?? Please help taking forever to download stuff!

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Melinge

Douse any1 no how 2 disable nat on a eircom netopia router ive tried every thing and it wont work this is all i got left.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭atheist

Stop trying. Iy you want a static ip adress, you pay for it, like a customised number plate. You may get more milage by googling "noip dyndns" and by explaining your objective

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

How do you setup a Netgear router for this? I've fiddled around with it to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spikedragon2

every time i try to configure the tcp port for azureus i get an ok on the test yet i get a UPnP error message saying mapping incoming peer data port _____ failed. can any one helo me ive tryed every thing. also i have aim if any one can help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

wtfer wrote:
    P.S.

anyone know how to fix NAT problems when someone is NOT USING A ROUTER?
    because all the problems I hear are from routers & I only have a DSL modem connected

Your DSL modem is a NAT router

NAT stands for Wikipedia :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation

Basically it means one iP adress can be split into multipe ips. So u can have multiple pcs connected to the Net at once.

The side effect being that you need to port forward to tell the router what to do with direct connections.
    So basically if someone connects to your ip (Router) on a certain port without port forwarding itll just drop the connection.

What Port forwarding does is exacly what it says on the tin. It opens the port on the router and passes the traffic to the same port on your internal machine(ur pc).

NAT is provided by the router, and unless you got some form of device capable of translation, you won't have NAT. Disable any UPnP in the BT client, not the router itself.

UPNP is a protocall for opening up ports on your router. This is dependant on the software. If it doesnt support UPNP it doesnt use it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP

Usually enabled by Default but not always.

I have issues with this as there is bugger all security built into the protocall and the next generation of MAlware will use this to punch through nat routers to do the usual stuff like ftps and shells open to the world.
    The single degree of seperation that NAT provides makes it worth its weight in gold.

Douse any1 no how 2 disable nat on a eircom netopia router ive tried every thing and it wont work this is all i got left.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilitarized_zone_%28computing%29

Look int DMZs if you want to do something that crazy but expect every worm on the loose to come looking for your PC. Make sure ur fully patched to date have a software firewall running at all times. Iv seen a PC flooded with Malware within ten MIN and needed a re-install.

Heres a simular thread about what can happen without NAT
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054922955

OPENING PORTS:

1. What you need to do is setup a static entry for the DHCP service for your PC
    so you get a fixed IP

2. Open the Pinhole or whatever your Router calls port Forwarding.

3.If u get stuck portforward.com seems to be the bible for router configs on this

PM me if u need more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Following this thread with interest.

I having similar "yellow face" and slow downloads issues (10k-20k/s) with utorrent (which is quite good btw).

utorrent's port forwarding test fails for me despite doing the following on my netopia 3347NWG.

I did the following:
    1. Disabled winxp sp2's firewall.
    2. Assigned my pc with an internal address eg 192.168.1.3
    3. The gateway is set to 192.168.1.254
    4. Dns servers:

5. Ok. Thats the way I had it set up day 1 for surfing and its fine. The following steps were followed for port forwarding.

6. Went into netopia's dsl server page - clicked and entered Expert Mode
    7. Clicked Configure -> Advanced -> NAT.
    8. Clicked Define Custom Service.
    9. Port Forwarding: range of ports (not the trigger ports). clicked next.
    10. entered a service name like utorrent
    11. Global Port Range of say 32460 (recommend close to utorrent default port value).
    12. Gave same value to Base Host Port. Protocol = TCP. Next.
    13. Nat service is done. Picked this service from the list and enabled picking my fixed pc ip address in step 2 above.
    14. re-ran port forwarding test - and still failed. Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Advertisement