Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friday the 13th!!!

• 13-08-2004 1:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

Is this day unlucky for you or just another friday?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

thats mad, its like tall buildings leaving out the thirteenth floor.
    Just another friday for me (and I love fridays)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Chonaic

Normal for me aswell, but if something does happen it goes down as friday the 13th bad luck.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I think its a load of crap tbh, but then, ya never know. Superstitions and coincidences and whatnot....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I was born on a Friday 13th, so it's supposedly my lucky day... or I'm the anti-christ.. I forget which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

just another friday - I didn't even realise it was friday or the 13th tbh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

funnily enough friday 13th has always been a lucky day for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ah ****.... tommorow's the 13th. I'm going to Canada's Wonderland tommorow. That's plenty of opportunities for my seat restraints to come lose and me fall out. Fantastic :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭voltamadan

there were two accidents where i work today-one guy got electrocuted and another guy suffered a heart attack-freekay! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Peewee_lane

Im in work and crazy stuff has been happnin all night, people keep sayin that they'll be "right back" all night,and no sign of them! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

It will be the best day so far this year if doom 3 is droped through the letter box later on today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Just another day...

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Not worried, like bizmark waiting for my copy of Doom 3 to be dropped through the door. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭ArthurDent

Nah -All Fridays are good - now Mondays - Thursdays can be a bit of a
    Ba$%&*d! But Fridays- ahh sweet! Off to the Shannon for the weekend ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Thanks, I had forgotten what day it was. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It's Friday Woohoo! That means drinkies :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Today is a good day to die.

Today is a good day to die.

F*cking klingon's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Just another day. Hate all that superstitious bollocks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Friday the 13th and The Knights Templar

One theory holds that it came about not as the result of a convergence, but a catastrophe, a single historical event that happened nearly 700 years ago. The catastrophe was the decimation of the Knights Templar, the legendary order of "warrior monks" formed during the Christian Crusades to combat Islam.
    Renowned as a fighting force for 200 years, by the 1300s the order had grown so pervasive and powerful it was perceived as a political threat by kings and popes alike and brought down by a church-state conspiracy, as recounted by Katharine Kurtz in "Tales of the Knights Templar" (Warner Books: 1995):
    "On October 13, 1307, a day so infamous that Friday the 13th would become a synonym for ill fortune, officers of King Philip IV of France carried out mass arrests in a well-coordinated dawn raid that left several thousand Templars — knights, sergeants, priests, and serving brethren — in chains, charged with heresy, blasphemy, various obscenities, and homosexual practices. None of these charges was ever proven, even in France — and the Order was found innocent elsewhere — but in the seven years following the arrests, hundreds of Templars suffered excruciating tortures intended to force 'confessions,' and more than a hundred died under torture or were executed by burning at the stake."

so Friday the 13th came about cos the Pope tried to take all the knights out in one swoop - hence it became an unlucky day....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

i was born friday the 13th... and whata lucky day it was then for the world..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lisa.c wrote:
    i was born friday the 13th... and whata lucky day it was then for the world..
    Friday 13th heh!! Thats Freaky

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Anyone else feeling an itch to don a hockey mask, grab a chainsaw, and get rid of a few teenagers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

ixoy wrote:
    Anyone else feeling an itch to don a hockey mask, grab a chainsaw, and get rid of a few teenagers?
    Ya but but I felt that yesterday as well!

Some useless facts.

According to the bible there were thirteen people at the Last Supper, including the double-crossing Judas Iscariot.

Friday was execution day in ancient Rome -- Jesus was crucified on a Friday.

The ill-fated Apollo 13 lunar mission left the launch pad at 13:13 hours and was aborted on April 13 (Friday?)

The RAC did a survey a survey a few years ago and found that the risk of hospital admission as a result of a transport accident could have been as much as 52 per cent higher on Friday 13.

Both Friday and the number 13 were once closely associated with capital punishment. In British tradition, Friday was the conventional day for public hangings, and there were supposedly 13 steps leading up to the noose.

More than 80 percent of high-rises lack a 13th floor.

Many airports skip the 13th gate. Airplanes have no 13th aisle.

Hospitals and hotels regularly have no room number 13.

Italians omit the number 13 from their national lottery.

On streets in Florence, Italy, the house between number 12 and 14 is addressed as 12 and a half.

Many cities do not have a 13th Street or a 13th Avenue

In France, socialites known as the quatorziens (fourteeners) once made themselves available as 14th guests to keep a dinner party from an unlucky fate.

If you have 13 letters in your name it is said that you will have the devil's luck . Jack the Ripper, Charles Manson, Jeffrey Dahmer, Theodore Bundy and Albert De Salvo all have 13 letters in their names.

And no I don’t suffer from triskaidekaphobes (fear of the number 13) and I love Fridays!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭lisa.c

ioxy what teenagers exactly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Flashraziel

I was also born on Friday the 13th. It was a great day. next year my birthday is on a friday too. Its sure to be a good one.

Oh and Beruthiel, did that actually happen or was it just from The Da Vinci Code? Its very hard to tell whats real and whats fiction in that book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

yeah that quote seems lifted straight from the book.

How much of it is actually true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

DivX wrote:
    like bizmark waiting for my copy of Doom 3 to be dropped through the door. ;)
    Prepare yourself for BOREDOM after the first 2 hours of WOW :confused:

• Advertisement

Shh you :p i know what to expect from doom 3 and am looking forward to it....In fact im off down town now to buy my copy seeming my copy from play.com didnt come :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Oh and Beruthiel, did that actually happen or was it just from The Da Vinci Code? Its very hard to tell whats real and whats fiction in that book.

I know
    but if you google it, other sources come up, so I believe it did happen

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

lisa.c wrote:
    ioxy what teenagers exactly...
    *Shrug* Whatever wander into my path. I'm particularly interested I guess in promiscuous ones, who don't hold their virginity for the right person. I'm also after the sporty jock types. Anyone got directions to Crystal Lake?

bizmark wrote:
    In fact im off down town now to buy my copy seeming my copy from play.com didnt come :)
    Got an email from Cdwow saying t'was shipped, hasn't arrived today though...

Can't cancel now, will just have to wait till next week for it to arrive :rolleyes:

Maybe its the curse of Friday the 13th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pretty lucky for me, Naomi Campbell just ran past my window holding some fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Just another day for me , that is unless I get injured playing soccer tonight .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Just another day. Bad things have happened on Friday the 13th, but worse things have happened on other days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

had to sort out a few computers for a guy today in the middle of rural limerick. He had two computers blow up (including a server that all the accounts data is on), the hub bit the dust, a modem went south and two printers shuffled off their mortal coil; all within the space of ten minutes. Guess he must be a believer in the ol' Fri 13 thing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Beruthiel wrote:
    Friday the 13th and The Knights Templar

One theory holds that it came about not as the result of a convergence, but a catastrophe, a single historical event that happened nearly 700 years ago. The catastrophe was the decimation of the Knights Templar, the legendary order of "warrior monks" formed during the Christian Crusades to combat Islam.
    Renowned as a fighting force for 200 years, by the 1300s the order had grown so pervasive and powerful it was perceived as a political threat by kings and popes alike and brought down by a church-state conspiracy, as recounted by Katharine Kurtz in "Tales of the Knights Templar" (Warner Books: 1995):
    "On October 13, 1307, a day so infamous that Friday the 13th would become a synonym for ill fortune, officers of King Philip IV of France carried out mass arrests in a well-coordinated dawn raid that left several thousand Templars — knights, sergeants, priests, and serving brethren — in chains, charged with heresy, blasphemy, various obscenities, and homosexual practices. None of these charges was ever proven, even in France — and the Order was found innocent elsewhere — but in the seven years following the arrests, hundreds of Templars suffered excruciating tortures intended to force 'confessions,' and more than a hundred died under torture or were executed by burning at the stake."

so Friday the 13th came about cos the Pope tried to take all the knights out in one swoop - hence it became an unlucky day....

you are absolutley correct..and I assume you have read the DaVinci code as well ;)

I love fridays, strange today though that I had a 'heart-attack' like episode when i woke up and will be seeing the doctor today...but I know it hasnt anything to do with today being the 13th ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

in japan 13 is considered a lucky number. i think the whole ''friday the 13th'' mularkey is just a western thing...and i think even by just giving in to the superstition, that bad things probably will happen, because everyone expects them to.it's like... we expect the reality to be altered and therefore it is.what the phuck did i just say? i can't explain it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

"i think the whole ''friday the 13th'' mularkey is just a western thing."
    brainwashed by the illuminati.
    THey want you to think its bad.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

Chonaic wrote:
    Is this day unlucky for you or just another friday?

Never believed it unlucky but i think i've changed my mind. Over 4 years driving and never a scratch - Friday i drove up on rocks (don't ask) and damaged all the front of my car.

I dunno if someone has extended Friday the 13th but this morning i reversed into a friggen wall. Ten minutes before that i skidded on a wet road but hit nothing.

Christ!

Although i think this morning was due to an almight all night session with no sleep and straight to work for 8

Hope there's no more Friday the 13th's for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Friday 13th was very lucky for me, got my pc back from the uk after being repaired. Got DVD's I ordered. Oh and I got a new job in the BBC.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭littleninja

Funnily enough, Friday 13th went ok, work was bit of a headwreck, but all in all nothing bad/unusual happened at all YAY!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Never believed it unlucky but i think i've changed my mind. Over 4 years driving and never a scratch - Friday i drove up on rocks (don't ask) and damaged all the front of my car.

Well that is just it, there were lots of other Friday the 13ths in the past 4 years, but you were fine on them. I am sure lots of people had bad luck on Friday, but lots had bad luck on Thursday and Saturday too. Think of some of the worst things that have happened in recent years and you'll find they were on days other than Friday the 13th. It is just another day, no better or worse than any other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Let's see. Got called to a "meeting" at the place I work (really just an oppourtunity for an angry fat man to shout at me down the phone for doing stuff A which contradicts stuff B, when it should have been the other way round) to hear just how close I am to being (rather unjustly, but nothing to be done) fired. This takes up most of the day, so I have about enough time to walk home, grab a coffee, and head back in to work. I come home to find that my girlfriend is breaking up with me.

Yup, just another day.

Advertisement