Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheap web hosting

• 13-08-2004 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

maybe not the best forum for it but it is cheap at $48 . company has very good tech support too.

http://www.myqth.com

1000MB Disk Space
    40GB Per month data transfer
    100 POP3 E-mail accounts
    CGI-BIN
    2 Mysql Databases
    PHP
    Control Panel
    Daily Backups
    SSL Secure Server
    Frontpage Extensions
    Pay annually for $48 per year

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

I've been wondering about this...

Apart from paying the host guys, you've to buy a domain - is that everything? Does the price vary on domain names depending on who you buy it through? I thought networksolutions had a monopoly on .com .net and .org but by the looks of things I'm wrong or things have changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

domain is separate. i paid $15 for .com through them but seen prices as low as $9. this is on top of the hosting plan.

they take paypal which is handy

entire process took 45min before i got all the details and could upload. and one day for dns servers to replicate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

ok thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

I used to live in Canada so I'm not sure if international customers can use the company.

its www.canaca.ca

it has $20CAN .ca domain registration and $10US .com .org and .net

My webhosting costs $3.95CAN a month about Euro 2.50

I get 5GB Webspace
    5000 email addresses
    50 GB bandwith a month
    frontpage extensions
    php support

might be worth checking out

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would a website not be a bit slower to load though, when using US-based servers?

Also noticed you can't host multiple domains (making it harder to use up all available space) and it doesn't have ASP (not sure what that is)

• Advertisement

boo4842 wrote:
    I used to live in Canada so I'm not sure if international customers can use the company.

its www.canaca.ca

I get 5GB Webspace
    5000 email addresses
    50 GB bandwith a month
    frontpage extensions
    php support

sounds good,

in regards to server speed , i can't complain about http://www.myqth.com speeds which are much better then some irl/uk servers

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

boo4842 wrote:

its www.canaca.ca

I get 5GB Webspace
    5000 email addresses
    50 GB bandwith a month
    frontpage extensions
    php support

Not bad though the $3.95 package doesn't contain MySQL database so no good for running forums etc. The $7.95pm package does offer 5 SQL databases though.

Gmodified, do you actually have a Myqth account? How reliable are their servers?

byte wrote:
    Not bad though the $3.95 package doesn't contain MySQL database so no good for running forums etc. The $7.95pm package does offer 5 SQL databases though.

Gmodified, do you actually have a Myqth account? How reliable are their servers?

yes, i do have account with them and can't complain, also know few people using this hosting and no problems yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

byte wrote:
    Would a website not be a bit slower to load though, when using US-based servers?

Also noticed you can't host multiple domains (making it harder to use up all available space) and it doesn't have ASP (not sure what that is)
    Speed should not be a problem; we host a pretty high usage .ie site (~4.5m page views/month) in the US.

With shared hosting it is completely standard for only a single domain to be allowed - each domain is a new account. They do not expect most people to actually use up 5gb. What do you expect for €2.50 per month!

ASP is Active Server Pages - it's Microsoft's application server. This offer has PHP which is equivalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

I use www.soidrack.com, i find them good and cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

Jorinn wrote:
    I use www.soidrack.com, i find them good and cheap.

404 on that. Bad link ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I assume he means www.solidrack.com

or maybe ratemyrack.com ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Good quality and very cheap: http://www.doteasy.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sposs wrote:
    You can get domains from an Irish hosting company for cheaper - €8.95
    https://www.register365.net/

Don't you work for that Irish Hosting company ? Surely in the interest of being fair and transparent you should mention this ?

Sposs wrote:
    You can get domains from an Irish hosting company for cheaper - €8.95
    https://www.register365.net/

it's not cheaper, it's normal price $10.80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

damien.m wrote:
    Don't you work for that Irish Hosting company ? Surely in the interest of being fair and transparent you should mention this ?

i think most people like yourself know i do,this is bargains isnt it? im simply trying to get people the best price i not trying to pimp business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Sposs wrote:
    i think most people like yourself know i do,this is bargains isnt it? im simply trying to get people the best price i not trying to pimp business.

Most people being the 10,000+ members, or most people that use this forum ? It's very unprofessional for a staff member of hosting365 to mention their product in such a way as to try and make themselves appear impartial. There's a sticky about pimping. There's a site-wide charter about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

No problem i will edited my post, sorry if i have offended anyone.

And for the record i was not pimping i was letting someone who was spending $20 on domains in the states that there is cheaper alternatives in Ireland.

see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

While not coming down on one side or another for any particular hosting package - cheap does not always equate with best. Make sure that the tech support is as stated. You don't want to wait till you have a problem to find out that 24/7 support actually means "some time in the next couple of days". I am speaking from experience here :/

You will need to evaluate the overall package with a view to what you want and how mission critical it is.

That being said, there are some attractive packages here ;)

(and NO, the company I am speaking about has not been mentioned in this thread)

Bio

Advertisement