Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please

Options
  • 13-08-2004 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I need to know the main difference between:

Pentium M 1.7GHz 2Mb 400FSB FSB and a

PENTIUM 4 3.2GHz 1MB 800GHz FSB

The woman from dell told me that the 1.7 Pentium M out-performs the Pentium
    4 3.2
    is this correct or does she just want me to spend £200 more on a special
    laptop processor? She says the processor has a larger on board cache which
    makes the difference!

Will you look at the spec for both systems and give a quick opinion please
    as im about to order the P4 3.2 offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

True it has a bigger L2 cache 2 MB- mobile cpu-

But the other hand 400 FSB compared to 800 FSB 1.7Ghz versus 3.2Ghz

were as the looks at the Prescott p4 3.2 800FSB 1MB cache - what are going to use it for????? if just messing around i would not pay the extra 200 euro's what they are asking for- dell pffff :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 honkyhorn

I quoted this query from a friend's email. I think he is paying over 2000 euro.
    If your foolish enough to part with 2000 what's another 200 eh..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

The M processors are made for laptop usage. They have lower power needs so are much better for saving battery life. They also dont run as hot. Due to slightly better architecture they perform better than the equiv P4.

I would think the 3.2ghz would be the better performer in almost all cases, but has its dissadvantages (as above).

If battery life is very important then the M is the way to go. If you want power and are going to be plugin it in from point to point (and the extra heat isint a prob ) then the 3.2ghz mite be better especially since its cheaper.

Are they actually putting prescotts into laptops ?? (i might have underestimated the actual level of heat...... hot chips)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The new steppings are about 10c cooler bringing them to about Northwood temps.

I can't see them running in a laptop though. They really do need a big heatsink.

BloodBath

Advertisement