Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To bag or not to bag

Options
  • 13-08-2004 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going touring in Portugal with a 58cm Specialized Sirrus; I'm considering whether to get a bicycle bag to put it into. I've done this before to Spain without the bike in a bag (think it was in a plastic sheet on the way over). It got a slightly bent chainring on the way back, but this was almost certainly due to the way it was treated in Barajas on the way home (thrown onto the luggage belt.) Thinking of getting a basic Scion bag (flexible, lightly padded) from Cycleways for €120.

Now note that Aer Lingus don't require the bike to be in a bag, just pedals off/inverted, handlebars twisted and the front wheel off, and that I don't plan on getting any public transport (e.g. train) while there.

Does anyone have an opion on whether a bag is worth it?

Pros:
    Protection?

Cons:
    Have to buy bike bag
    Need somewhere to leave it in Lisbon when I get there
    Bike can't be wheeled about by baggage handlers anymore
    Maybe they will just treat it like any other bag
    Need to take the back wheel off also

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

when I travelled with my bike I stuck in a box that most bikes originally come in. Padded the frame, put axles between the forks and at the rear to resist any unusual pressures and lobbed it in no bother. Bit more hassle though cos you've a huge box. the lads all had bags, only slight padding, won't prevent damage in a major incident, but these things are built sturdy enough, so if you can prevent scratches and support the forks and rear triangle using axles or something equiv. (braces come with new bikes normally that shops should give you) then the bag is certainly better than a sheet!

Advertisement