Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16gb iol customers, how much do we pay ?

• 13-08-2004 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

It says 47euros on the website, but i remember it was a bit cheaper, have our(people who signed up a few months back-dec?) rates gone up ?

thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Na it's €47 it used to be one single service which was €45 but then the two services spilt one €47 the other something else...... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

If you avail of their home phone service aswell, it only cost €39.95 per month. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Does it not total to 54.45 incl VAT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

now its €47 inlcusive of vat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

chump wrote:
    Does it not total to 54.45 incl VAT?
    €54.45 is what eircom used to charge for broadband, before they brought the Home Starter base price down to €40 a few months ago. ESAT/IOL matched that price for the basic package (with twice eircoms 4G cap), and priced the Plus package, with 16G cap, at €47.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

As far as I know if you use IOL's all round package - line rental and say broadband plus it will cost you 130 euros every two months. That is to break it down, 25 a month for line rental - two months 50 euros, - and broadband 16 gig package is 40 euro a month - two months 80 euros...Now I rounded up these figures...

I think, as already stated, that if you go with their line rental package the cost of broadband goes down to 40 euro a month and the signup fee of 80 euro is waived.....

Please correct me if I am wrong, of if there is anymore info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,400 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Don't think Esat do Line Rental?

Sure you dont mean Advantage Plus for €25 which gives you 'free' calls up to 1 hour long?

Not your ornery onager

Well all i know is I signed a change of ownership so I pay Esat only..I dont get any more bills from Eircom...

The fact that I want nothing to do with Eircom, after having to wait a month for a broadband test, is my real goal here...

eircom suck and always will..Communications company? I dont think so......

Fluck the lot of them..

Jokah wrote:
    As far as I know if you use IOL's all round package - line rental and say broadband plus it will cost you 130 euros every two months. That is to break it down, 25 a month for line rental - two months 50 euros, - and broadband 16 gig package is 40 euro a month - two months 80 euros...Now I rounded up these figures...

I think, as already stated, that if you go with their line rental package the cost of broadband goes down to 40 euro a month and the signup fee of 80 euro is waived.....

Please correct me if I am wrong, of if there is anymore info?

ESAT have a number of bundles that give you a discount off IOL Broadband if you subscribe to one of ESATs call packages.

This is the bundle that you are describing:
    http://www.iol.ie/bundles/bbplus_adv_plus.htm

The other Bundles are listed here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

The other option is to have ESAT mess up your billing and give you the 16 GB cap for the same price as the basic package. :D

• Advertisement

Get this,

So i go with IOL and switch everything over and low and was told all signup fees would be waivered and things would be hunky.

Get a letter stating that I have to pay a 125 euro deposit in order to get the line set up, and I will get this deposit at the end of the 12 month contract.....

Now where does that deposit go? into a nice bank account to make interest no doubt......

Any suggestions..I am thinking of ringing up IOl and just cancelling the lot..

Also does UTV waive the signup charge if you move everything over to them( line rental and broadband?)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

im just wondering has anyone ever been charged for the service ?

im awaiting my first bill and i think ive had bb a year now .

and my credit card details have changed as of this month so i dont know exactly what they are going to do ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Unfortunately (or fortunately) their accounting system is diabolical, it has essentially taken them a year to set up a direct debit that has worked only once. At least the final demand letters stopped after I complained it was their fault for not taking my money. God only knows when they'll debit my account again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I know a guy working in Eircom and another in IOL - both swear that nobody has ever or will ever be charged for going over the cap....they say that the only action taken will be against people who continually abbuse a cap....for this reason i have the lowest
    When i asked why it exists so - the answer was the same - to stop people reselling....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

egan007 wrote:
    I know a guy working in Eircom and another in IOL - both swear that nobody has ever or will ever be charged for going over the cap....they say that the only action taken will be against people who continually abbuse a cap....for this reason i have the lowest
    When i asked why it exists so - the answer was the same - to stop people reselling....

rubbish, not that I'm attacking you personally, just saying that your mates don't know what they're talking about.

1. If you go over the cap with Esat you are cut-off for the rest of the month

2. It isn't in place to stop people reselling, it's in place in order to protect the integrity of the service for all users. If you have 48 or 24:1 contention and 2 users are constantly online and downloading information then they reduce the quality of the service that everybody else recieves

3. Eventually providers will start charging for going over the cap because it's to big a revenue stream for them not to, and if you look at other european markets you'll see that a number of providers now have a broadband service where your entire monthly charge is based on your usage. I expect that Ireland will follow the same route at some point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Sarn wrote:
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) their accounting system is diabolical, it has essentially taken them a year to set up a direct debit that has worked only once. At least the final demand letters stopped after I complained it was their fault for not taking my money. God only knows when they'll debit my account again.
    What bugs me, is, they, a couple of times now, have taken TWO bills at the same time out of my account because THEY forgot to take the last bill when it was due!!

Basically, apparently, with direct debit they can take as much as they want!
    My account has usually barely enuf to cover one bill when its due, nevermind two at once! Its ridiculous, imho, if THEY forget to take it, YOU shouldnt have to suffer.!

:mad:

Jokah wrote:
    Now where does that deposit go? into a nice bank account to make interest no doubt......
    Interest? You've got to be kidding me! They'd be lucky to earn €3-€4 on €125, and the administration cost of handling the deposit would cost them more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I opted for the 16GB and lower contention ratio too. My problem is - how do I know I have a lower contention ratio, could they be BSing me?

Just to put things into perspective, I have a friend in France who has just signed up for 2Mbit BB for €15 p/m !! :eek:

ZEN

Advertisement