Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying stuff from the US

• 13-08-2004 3:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I thought I had seen comments on various boards about buying stuff from the US and getting it shipped to Ireland but my searches haven't thrown up anything useful. Also I'm on the phone to Customs & Excise info telephone line and it's been ringing for the past 20 minutes. Trying to connect me to some internal line. Sheesh, what service!

Okay my question is this: I want to buy a guitar valued at E2500 which is 750 cheaper than here. I want to find out what it will cost me in VAT / Customs duty, etc. I can get it shipped here or to relations in the US and have them bring it over. Option b means inconvenience for the cousin and a delay getting the guitar.

I can buy within EU for about 250 more than US, and that might be the preferable option.

[Customs still haven't answered their fecking phone and just hung up after 23 minutes! Aaargh!]
    -ao-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

Just fly over there and bring it back as hand luggage.

Ask someone to do it for you or ask a friend or relative in the US to "buy" it for you...that way it is considored a present and exempt from tax.

Maybe you could wait until Christmas and then go over and buy a load of presents as well as the giutar. You will save an even bigger fortune and go on a holiday as well ! :)

Its pretty popular to go Christmas Shopping in the Big Apple now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ask someone to do it for you or ask a friend or relative in the US to "buy" it for you...that way it is considored a present and exempt from tax.
    Nope, it has to be well under €50 to be exempt.

Essentially you would end up paying (((cost of guitar+cost of shipping)+import duty)+VAT).

VAT @ 21%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Micheal Wittman

A frend of mine buys alot of stuff over there when he goes over to vist his dad. To date he has bought 2 new pcs over there as well as buy 2 Geforce Ti 4600 s.He then sold them on and made quite the profit :D

He also has bought 2 new guitars over there in the past few years and no one has ever said or charged him anything.

Could be just luck I suppose but he's never had nay hassle.

Advertisement