Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Tribes 2..

Options
  • 14-05-2001 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hello there, I recently found Tribes 2 hanging around the house and decided to play it - Could anyone give me a few pointers on how to play it? Pleeeeeeeeeeease.

(serious points as well, i know what you lot are like).

Non.

Lucy la morte.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

Gluck in your quest for domination.
    The gameshop server is nearly always empty (plz say what time most ppl go at) so you can practice there without looking foolish wink.gif

Its a mobile game, you adjust your playing style to what is happening right then.
    i.e. I love that adrenaline rush you get when you realise some sneaky guy managed to destroy everything and its a mad rush to repair the base. 5 minutes later the tables might be turned and everyone is trying to fit into a havoc.

Just remember as long as you dont TK you cant go wrong.

Some say the end is near.
    Some say we'll see armageddon soon.
    I certainly hope we will.
    I sure could use a vacation from this....
    bull****

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

hmm pointers...
    well press the num pad enter
    and you'll get a list of kinda different type of people with different guns
    you seletect which one you want.. or you can change around the guns and stuff
    and then go to a station generator
    and you'll get those type of guns
    another thing is to jump and then press fly..
    get's you a higher boost
    and see if there's also a manual lying around the house too, it helps biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

1. Play the tutorial.

2. Read the manual.

3. Don't speak in French. Some players have problems with English. smile.gif

4. Don't walk on the flag, as it's probably mined.

5. Don't steal vehicles.

... Ok they probably weren't that helpful.

Here is some important rules for someone new at the game.

1. Pick a task and stick to it. For example, on certain rounds I may say "I'm defending the flag". At which point I will stay there (even if it's boring me out of my tree). You don't have to do a set task, but at least stick at it or tell people when you change what your doing.

2. If you don't know how to fly, stay the hell out of the pilots seat. This really applies to ships that carry other people. There is nothing more annoying getting a fully loaded Transport and then have the pilot drive it into a wall.

3. Same kind of applies to tailgunning too. If you don't know how to tailgun, stay out of the tailgunner seat (bombing is more fun anyway).

4. Don't shoot people on your own team, regardless of how much a moron they may be. Better to vote to kick them.

5. If you can't see the persons IFF (triangle above head) then someone is jamming. Give them a friendly tap shot, if you get a message saying you harmed a teammate then don't kill them. If you don't get the message, waste em! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭[-Morpheus-]

Hobbes,
    You have way to much time on ur hands biggrin.gif all i do it play T2 and CS and jack off all day and i still haven't the time biggrin.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

The last tip help me there..
    I've never played Tribe 1 before.. so I was totally new to Tribes

PS. [-Morpheus-] could you please change your advantar smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭Jug-A-Lug

trust the shocklance and the cloak pack they are your best freinds....watch out for mines, quoting hobbes "if in doubt shoot it, you can always apologize later".

good luck lucy :P

what's with that shocklance ?
    it shoots out electricity but it does not harm the enemy's or their ships ??
    so what does it do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Originally posted by Hobbes
    5. Don't steal vehicles.
    </font>

Yeah getting your vehicle nicked by one of your team mates is one of the most annoying things, whats more annoying is when an enemy does it. So don't be shy if you see an empty enemy vechicle sitting aroung on the lauch pad or anywhere else, its a laugh when you either jet off or smash it in to the people camping on the pad.
    Originally posted by Hobbes
    5. If you can't see the persons IFF (triangle above head) then someone is jamming.
    </font>

If your close enough you can see the armour colour then the IFF doesn't matter too much, I've walked right past a few people with a jammer on my back and they didn't even give me a second look.
    Originally posted by OJ
    what's with that shocklance ?
    it shoots out electricity but it does not harm the enemy's or their ships ??
    </font>

Oh it does harm them quite alot, just you have to get very close and its best to insert from behind, if you get it right you should have a corpse infront of you after. I don't think it works too well on anything other than players.

Does it work on heavies or do they need an extra prod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vialli

ummm right...pointers....ok..here is....

VIAALLIS AMAZING TRIBES 2 L33T SKILL0R'Z

ok point one...me being the pilot I found this out....assault armer is the best for any turbograv or tank,ya'll survive any explosion...

2)repair pak's ar a must..

3)mmmm flare's are handy for showing you location to pickup's

4)if a person needs a bomber the best thing to do is go find a person who need's a pickup on the battle field...ya can kill two bird with one stone that way

5)always go in pairs....is safer wink.gif

that is all smile.gif

oh yeah gimme yer name so I can add ya to the .ie team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

OJ i think that you are thinking of the ELF gun, which also looks like it shoot electricity. What it actually does is drain the energy from nme players as well as vehicles/turrets/sensors etc. Anything shielded.

The schocklance does work on vehicles, get under a shrike with one and bang smile.gif Works on heavies too, just doesnt kill em instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Lucy, as hobbes said, the best thing you can do is Play the tutorial, read the manual, and play a couple of lan games with bots. Then be prepared to die a lot as you learn gradually smile.gif

Shocklance is one of the most tricky and most deadly weapon in the game.

It is basically a cattle prod, but if you hit the person in the back it kills them instantly (despite what Dustaz says, it will kill a heavy wearing a shield). So with the cloak pack it is quite fun to use.

It doesn't really damage ships, but it does throw them all over the shop, so one good whack can cause the pilot to flip over and die. no effect on tanks or Jericos.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 14-05-2001).]

Hmm, vehicle fliping sounds quite nice and nasty, perhaps it could be used to discourage those annoying vehicle stealers among other things > smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mantel:
    Hmm, vehicle fliping sounds quite nice and nasty, perhaps it could be used to discourage those annoying vehicle stealers among other things > smile.gif</font>

how do you think i found out wink.gif

also i use it to push havocs out of the way when they are not needed, and if yer inna tank and it gets hung on the terrain you can jimmy it loose with the shocklance, use it like a tyre iron biggrin.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Erm havent really read the above posts so if im repeating then HA! wink.gif Anyways Pointers Include:

1 biggrin.gifont Team Kill (Im sure its been said before)
    2:Learn what your good at and become an Ace at it thats what i did in T1 and it made the game great fun eventually of course you will learn everything but stick with your fav position(Excuse the pun) until you know it like the back of your turd.
    3:Most Basic and probably the Best Inventory Config is Energy Pack Disc Launcher Grenade Launcher and Chaingun. Oh and of course mines and grenades wink.gif But that is the #1 Loadout and should be your Primary loadout if your learning to play in Light Armour.
    4:Just play as a Team dont rob vehicles or **** people off on purpose. It makes the game SSOOOOOO poop(****in censors) and boring to play.
    5:Learn to Ski. Its a matter of practice thats all i can say oh and hold space on the hills down and then Jump with space and Jet on the way up the hills you slide down onto biggrin.gif That one takes practice to get speedy at. But once you get it you can Cap the flag like a Bird wink.gif
    6:Erm? Whats left OH Clear mines from your flag if you see your team mate with the enemy flag because It always ends up pear shaped when the capper lands on a friendly mine on the flag!!! So Always disc the flag just to be sure theres no little presents smile.gif

Of course there are more pointers but you will just have to learn in game by watching others and learning from others. Cya on the servers. If You need to contact me at all IN tribes 2 just do a warrior search in the browser tab for SpiraL and i am the only SpiraL there wink.gif then you can add to buddy list or email me or look at my player page etc. Anyways Im off wink.gif Bubbye.

Citer le Cordeau "JennyRooba"

[This message has been edited by SpiraL (edited 15-05-2001).]

Oh and do a search for ".ie" tribe and request an invite. It's the Boards.ie people.

Currently 43 people in it and 3 outstanding invites (Hecate, Tasselhoff, Mantel).

Wow didn't realise we had gotten so many.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 15-05-2001).]

I assume that to join when your invited all you have to do is click a button or link that appears somewhere. The only thing I've gotten so far is a CC of my request for an invite frown.gif

I've been waiting a few days now to see what pops up but I have a fealing that it has gotten lost in the post, any chance of a re-invite Hobbes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

I can't seem to find an .ie tribe. I think I'm just being typical me and missing something totally obvious that I should be doing, any suggestion? All I seem to find is alot of tribes with the word 'Die' in their names.

I'll be under the alias 'Autumn' I should think.

Non.

Lucy la morte.

[This message has been edited by Lucy_la_morte (edited 15-05-2001).]

do a search for boards

the only tribe to appear will be boards crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭El Marco

Well
    Theres one good thing to do with a sniper rifle which is very helpful.

If youve a slightly high pin and find it hard to snipe. Use the rile at lond distance to knock out defences (like turrets and sensors) around flag n stuff.

• Advertisement

go to the boards.ie tribe, go to the invites section. Right click on your name and it should have accept invite.

It should also have it in the mail? someone who got invited here should know.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mantel:
    I assume that to join when your invited all you have to do is click a button or link that appears somewhere. The only thing I've gotten so far is a CC of my request for an invite frown.gif

I've been waiting a few days now to see what pops up but I have a fealing that it has gotten lost in the post, any chance of a re-invite Hobbes?
    </font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy_la_morte:
    I'll be under the alias 'Autumn' I should think.</font>

There is an "autumner" and "Autumns child". Any of them you? smile.gif

Might be easier to send an email (in the game) to "Hobbes^^" and I should be able to add you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

Someone already registered Hecate so I signed in as DeathFunkMcNally and created an alias under it, do a search for DeathFunkMcNally and try sending out the invite again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Vialli

well im the only Vialli in Tribes from what ive seen....so YEE HAW

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Hecate:
    Someone already registered Hecate so I signed in as DeathFunkMcNally</font>

biggrin.gif ROFL - great name Rob biggrin.gif

All the best!
    Dav
    curlydav.gif
    So I turned around to Jack Charlton and said: "Well of course it's not a football Jack, it's an '86 Chardonay!!!"
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    Tribes 2 Goodness
    The Dawn of the Beefy King approaches...

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 16-05-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I bought it today, so will be on tomorrow to confuse and annoy smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭SPACE COWBOY

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    I bought it today, so will be on tomorrow to confuse and annoy smile.gif</font>

Me too smile.gif

[All Goo Things...]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Hobbes, that 'TwoShedsJackson' that requested to join boards.ie is me, in case you were wondering.

Also, what servers are you guys normally on - is there any active in Ireland?

yea there are loads of invites popping up recently and I have no idea who they are. smile.gif

I only play on Gameshop + Barrysworld. No idea where everyone else hangs out, but I do see a lot of ".ie" people from time to time on BW.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 17-05-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Yossarian

usually play on barrysworld, unless theres people on Gameshop.
    cyas around..

Advertisement