Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

User logging Question

Options
  • 13-08-2004 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've got a small domain in a school with a Windows 2003 domain controller. In the Event Viewer applet I can see what time various users logged on and off. The information I'm after is what machine they logged on from in the domain. Anybody any ideas where I could get this information. I've looked through some of the documentation but it hasn't given me too much help.

Cheers
    Rory

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

rmacm wrote:
    Hi

I've got a small domain in a school with a Windows 2003 domain controller. In the Event Viewer applet I can see what time various users logged on and off. The information I'm after is what machine they logged on from in the domain. Anybody any ideas where I could get this information. I've looked through some of the documentation but it hasn't given me too much help.

Cheers
    Rory
    In our place, each user's logon script executes a prog or sends data to a process which takes it and appends it to a text file containing a list of all logins for that user - i.e. date, time, and machine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If the users are running NT/2K/XP etc then you can use environmental variables
    to dump time to a file on a shared drive UNC\
    echo. |time |find "is">> UNC\%username%.txt
    echo. |date |find "is">> UNC\%username%.txt
    echo  %computename% >> UNC\%username%.txt
    echo. >> UNC\%username%.txt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Windows does this automatically on the DC in Event Viewer.

Advertisement