Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks Locations

Options
  • 13-08-2004 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any idea of the planned locations for Starbucks in Dublin. Currently I'm scouting out some locations for a restaurant/cafe investment. While there is no plan for direct competition, obviously it would be worth factoring in the proximity of a Starbucks on the local given the effect they had on surrounding businesses in US.

Since the announcement back in Feb, the trail of info on the launch seems to have gone stale. I know they had consulted a firm of Dublin Architects (who I dont know) but any info appreciated.

David

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No ideas. I suspect they have been sacred off by Subway. Both had said they would open 100 locations (critical mass) and Subway have opened some, but I haven't heard anything further on Starbucks since, well, months ago.

You could pose as a builder and phone their architects, saying you might be interested in doing some work. Or pose as a wannbe franchisee and phone Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Everyone in the industry is scared witless when they think about it. It is sad for you because it may make it more difficult for you to raise money from the banks. The whole story about it has gotten people worried.

I wouldn't say that Starbucks is too bothered about what Subway might do.

Starbucks would not open 100 stores. I read in the paper that they were talking about 30 stores or so. This sounds plausible, but high. It is approximately the same as the number of stores in Singapore.

The other issue is how would Starbucks get thirty stores at appropriate rents? Rents are high in Ireland for busy areas. Leaseholds for the kinds of property Starbucks would want (wide shopfront, prominent location, close to other Starbucks locations) just aren't easy to come by. They could obviously push in the cash to do that, but would they really get a good return on it?

One possibility that is whispered about is acquiring an existing chain. Starbucks acquired the Seattle Coffee Company in the UK to get started.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

One possibility that is whispered about is acquiring an existing chain. Starbucks acquired the Seattle Coffee Company in the UK to get started.

There really is no other way for Starbucks to get started here. They would have to butt in on another firm. Probably not even a Cafe chain as there isn't many in this town.

I could see Starbucks buying over alll those small and disappearing independent newsagents. Like the two on Damn Street opposite the Central Bank(and down a bit), The recently sold shop on Exchequer St, The small newsagent next to the antique jeweller at the back of Trinity Lane.

When Starbucks arrive they will buy for the location and not the take over. Much like a Airline merger acts for the Landing slots and not the marketshare...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

As far as I do know they are not going down the takeover route- mainly becaue theres no serious coffee franchise in Dublin.

As regards the existence of Subway - there not really in the same market so not a perceived threat- All you have to do is go around Manhattan to see the happy co-existence of Subway and Starbucks!

IF I knew the architects firm I might employ some underhand tactics but I dont :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GoodVoice

Hi all,

I'm a store manager for Starbucks in the UK.

Starbucks is already in Ireland. Junction 1 in Antrim and Belfast City centre.

The total planned for Ireland is 30, not 100. 2 down 28 to go.

Starbucks is NOT a franchiser. So there is no investment opportunities there.

There WAS a report that an architect firm was involved in the Dublin planning. This is also NOT the case. Just newspaper reports I'm afraid.

You're right about the coexistence of Subway and Starbucks in NYC though. No probs there.

Can't wait for the Dublin stores to get going...................................2005

Hope that helps clear up a few things for ya.

GV

• Advertisement

Cheers for the Info.

So its likely to be 2005?

Is there anyway you know of or could find out some prospective locations for the Dublin City area?

--
    BTW, as an aside do you stock the Komodo Dragon Blend in uk :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I cannot wait for Starbucks to open up here. Was in the UK at the weekend and headed straight to a starbucks for a frappuchino! Their drinks are nicer, the food is nicer, and the staff are much nicer and courteous than those you experience in coffee houses in Dublin!

I'd put money on them opening in the IFSC pretty soon, I think someone just closed a deal recently on a store beside Zaps steakhouse, would be an ideal location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I believe that there is in fact there is already a Starbucks in the Republic of Ireland (in Microsoft in Sandyford).

Mind you Starbucks does sometimes franchise. For example, the Singapore stores are franchiesed (a company called Bon Cafe Pte Ltd as I recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I believe that there is in fact there is already a Starbucks in the Republic of Ireland (in Microsoft in Sandyford).

Mind you Starbucks does sometimes franchise. For example, the Singapore stores are franchiesed (a company called Bon Cafe Pte Ltd as I recall).
    You would be right in your assumption, there is a total of 3 starbucks out here in Microsoft, where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

eth0_ wrote:
    I cannot wait for Starbucks to open up here. Was in the UK at the weekend and headed straight to a starbucks for a frappuchino! Their drinks are nicer, the food is nicer, and the staff are much nicer and courteous than those you experience in coffee houses in Dublin!

I'd put money on them opening in the IFSC pretty soon, I think someone just closed a deal recently on a store beside Zaps steakhouse, would be an ideal location.
    Thus nowt to suggest that the staff when Starbucks open here will be any nicer. :D I'm a havin' visions of our indiginous surly spotty youths complaining at Joe Public for having the temerity to order a half caff skinny latte to go and then spitting in the froth...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

eth0_ wrote:
    Their drinks are nicer, the food is nicer, and the staff are much nicer and courteous than those you experience in coffee houses in Dublin!

Nail, hit, head.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I meant to say, I heard that Starbucks had bought/are going to buy Bewleys. Anyone else hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Akula

Bewleys don't exactly have a lot of locations. Just a few massive ones which really isn't what they are after. But I did also gather that bewleys are in the market to sell their stores. They are running at a loss and are only being maintained now just to keep the brand in peoples eyes.... not that its helping imho.

As for Starbucks... for those of you suffering waiting for them the best alternative I can suggest is Gloria Jeans. Another US franchise.... a hell of a lot smaller... but their chillers are fantastic and they have had them longer than starbucks.... nicer... but harder to find... unless you are in Cork where there are two central ones. Yet to find one centrally located in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

eth0_ wrote:
    I meant to say, I heard that Starbucks had bought/are going to buy Bewleys. Anyone else hear this?
    Y'mean the two premesis? Jesus - I hope not. There's a hell of a lot wrong with Bewleys, but for some strange reason it's one of those places thats *uniquely* Dublin, and there's nowhere else like them. There's nothing wrong with the coffee/snacks in Starbucks, but to be honest, the 'sameyness' of them and their general ubiquity (currently in other cities, and presumably soon in dublin) makes me think that in their case, less would be more.

I'd find it hard to see 'em taking on the Bewleys outlets - surely they're far too big to manage...obv they could put retail outlets in, or whatever, but presumably that would be on upper levels and that wouldn't suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

Akula wrote:
    Yet to find one centrally located in Dublin.

there's one at the powerscourt townhouse, right near the fcuk store. Its pretty mingin though, their coffee is not a patch on Starbucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Johnny Versace

My money is on "the bagel factories" which suddenly appeared everywhere in Dublin being turned into Starbucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

My money is on "the bagel factories" which suddenly appeared everywhere in Dublin being turned into Starbucks.

Those bagel places are too small though! I believe Starbucks is looking for premises with enough room to put a few chairs and tables in.
    I would have said they may look into buying the Cafe Sol chain, as they have quite a few stores catering to the business-people in teh city centre, but then again their stores are also quite small...

fwk wrote:
    Those bagel places are too small though! I believe Starbucks is looking for premises with enough room to put a few chairs and tables in.
    I would have said they may look into buying the Cafe Sol chain, as they have quite a few stores catering to the business-people in teh city centre, but then again their stores are also quite small...

Yep, starbucks is generally a sit down experience. They have a few Kiosks near Bryant Park/Times Square in manhattan but thats it.

Advertisement