Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCP connections fix/patch for SP2

Options
  • 13-08-2004 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

I found a patch on this website http://www.lvllord.de/index2.htm which supposedly fixes a problem when using eMule with SP2.

Supposedly, SP2 limits the number of TCP/IP connections per second to 10, as a security feature, and the patch on the website above returns it to the pre-SP2 setting.

The site looks like it could be dodgy, should I install the patch?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭zt

PlazzTT,

The description states that accepting TCP connections is slowed to 10 per second. This means inbound connections to your machine. (At this usage the machine would be a busy little web or mail server).

Do you have a web server or other server that accepts inbound connections?

From the description OUTBOUND traffic should not be affected.

Some networking software has patches that limit the number of connections in a specific state. This is to prevent DOS type attacks.

Have a look at Microsoft.com if you are worried about a specific performance issue. I would avoid installing this type of patch.

plazzTT wrote:
    I found a patch on this website http://www.lvllord.de/index2.htm which supposedly fixes a problem when using eMule with SP2.

Supposedly, SP2 limits the number of TCP/IP connections per second to 10, as a security feature, and the patch on the website above returns it to the pre-SP2 setting.

The site looks like it could be dodgy, should I install the patch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

echoed as well by me - friend did something similar and had an infected computer the next day! (also a dialler from what i remember, after that little virus prob was cleared up! could be unrelated...)

Advertisement