Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which networking course?

Options
  • 13-08-2004 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭

I interviewed for a job yesterday. Looks like I might actually land it :D Half the job involves knowing about computer hardware and software. 2nd nature to me at this stage. The other half is networking. I have no networking experience but the company may be willing to give me a shot as I said I would be willing to get some networking certs on my own time. I would have about 2 weeks in the job before the guy I'm replacing leaves and then it's up to me to look after a few small networks and be able to set up a few networks. What courses or certs should I aim for: MCP's, Windows 2003 Server, Cisco? I have most of the Cisco CCNA covered but that was about 3 years ago and we had very limited hands-on experience. Where would I do them - online, evening courses? How much? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Has anybody got any advice on the above? I know a similar thread was posted a few months back but I can't find it. Could do with some ammo to help me land this job!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

If you need get some basic knowledge in networking have a look at Network+.

Theres a good few training centers around Dublin that do it

BCT
    BIC
    FÁS also do online couses.

As I said it'll give you a basic grounding in networking and how things work, not necessarily how to set up servers. Have a look at some of the books for it around town and you sould be able to tell if its right for you or not. Server+ or windows 2003 server might be a better option if you've learnt most of it from the CCNA.

Would you be able to get in contact with the guy your replacing and have a chat with him? Find out what ya need to know and do and match it up to a course and get some practice at home.

Cheers for the advice. I talked to the guy I'm replacing. He has no certs or any real formal training in networking. I suggested the A+ cert to him and he agreed that it might be a good starting point so I might do that and then the Network+. I wouldn't really have to know too much about servers from the off but I would like to build up to that. For now, all I need to know is how to network 8-10 computers and allow them to share a broadband connection.

Also, what's the story with that Fas Netcollege. Do you have to be eligible (as in unemployed) to be able to do those online courses becauses most of them are €120 which is extremely cheap compared to all other training institutes? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I don't think you do but I'm not 100% sure. Since it's online they don't have to pay lecturers so that could be it. Also the exams are set and organised by someone (and you even do the exam somewhere else) else you might have to pay for that separately. The other training institutes would include the cost of the exam.
    7. How does On-line testing work?

Exam fees are paid to the test centre, generally in advance or on the day of the exam

So you've kind got a hidden charge there, took me a few minutes to see that. You'd have to ring some of the exam centers for a price in order to get a cost on the whole lot.

It looks like I'll be doing either the A+ in IT Blanchardstown (€750 + close to home) or BCT (€500 for A+ core + €550 for A+ OS side of it). Am interested in the FAS Netcollege courses for €120 but you obviously won't get hands on which is what I am after really. All of those prices above exclude exam fees as you have to take and pay for the CompTIA exams externally. I'll probably do the Network+ course after Xmas. Want to get the basics first

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

You would want to be insane to spend that kind of money on the Network+ or A+ certifications! You say computer software and computer hardware are 2nd nature to you so just go into eason or somewhere and get the books for €35 quid each complete with practice exams, I did.

I recommend the following books
    Faster Smarter Network+ Certification
    Faster Smarter A+ Certification

I found both of the above excellent books covering everything you need to know to pass the exams without a hitch.

LoGiE wrote:
    You would want to be insane to spend that kind of money on the Network+ or A+ certifications! You say computer software and computer hardware are 2nd nature to you so just go into eason or somewhere and get the books for €35 quid each complete with practice exams, I did.

I recommend the following books
    Faster Smarter Network+ Certification
    Faster Smarter A+ Certification

I found both of the above excellent books covering everything you need to know to pass the exams without a hitch.
    Well, I started my new job today and was talking to them about courses and it turns out they might pay for the whole lot or even 50-50. I reckon a hands-on course would be better surely. I might consider doing the A+ on FAS-Netcollege and then I reckon I'd need to do hands on Network+. Did you sit the exams?

Advertisement