Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave improvements

• 13-08-2004 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭

I got my 3.5GHz Ripwave modem on Monday, and wasn't all that impressed - I was only getting 35KB/s downloads from IBBs own FTP server. Tonight I tried to download Firefox from ftp.heanet.ie, and it downloaded at 55KB/s, which is an impressive improvement, as I'm close to the edge of the range shown on IBBs coverage map.

Pings are still at the 100ms mark, but that seems to be inherent in the Ripwave technology, unfortunately, and is unaffected by signal strength, or distance from the transmitter.

I wonder how well it'll hold up under the XP Service Pack2 download (all 267MB of it!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Well its good to hear someone has had some success with the new ripwave.
    I was very hopeful about it being a solution to my BB problems but its not turned out that way unfortunately. Its a shame as ripwave was the last BB option available to me at this point due to Eircon.

I'm probably about 2km away from the Digital hub tower and I get absolutely no signal. Large parts of Inchicore/Dublin 8 seem not to be covered by ripwave despite what the coverage map and their online checker says. Having tried the modem from the second story of a friends house with direct line of sight and in a couple of other locations around the area (0.5km or so away) there appears to be no signal. Having sent it back to IBB they claim that the modem is working fine for them so it must be incredibly poor coverage in the Dublin 8 area I can only presume.

I didn't think ripwave coverage required line of sight but it seems to be a real problem if you are in a built up area it seems.

I haven't heard of anyone else in this area with Ripwave? Is there anyone out there whos had some success with it?

Advertisement