Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone blocked

Options
  • 13-08-2004 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

friend of mine recently noticed that his mobile phone was no longer accepting text messages-after much toing and froing the phone was eventually repaired by vodafone-but the engineer who repaired it claimed that the problem was caused by a text message sent to the phone that effectively prevented it from receiving any further texts-
    has anyone ever come accross this?-i find the story difficult to believe.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭jonathanbuc

blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

the engineer was of the opinion that it was a malicious act rather than any software issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭jonathanbuc

blah blah blah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

What type of phone is it?

That virus only affects NOKIA series 60 phones, and others using the Symbian OS. Fairly rare right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Certain phones can be crashed by sending 'corrupt' SMS messages to them, for example some Nokia phones had issues e.g.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/28/how_to_crash_a_phone/

But I think I remember seeing that some Siemens phones didn't like text messages with Chinese character set.

So its more likely to be something like this than a phone 'virus' - though not impossible...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

this has been discussed previously here:
    Mobile Phone Virus...

the incoming SMS vulnerability has nothing to do with the first 'proof of concept' Symbian Cabir virus, nor the cracked Mosquitos 'Trojan' that turned out to have been a "feature" built-in by the developer...

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i don't recall the exact model but i think it was the sharp gx101 camera phone-my friend bought it from a dodgy source and when he told me about the text problem i was convinced that was the cause of the problem or else his ex girlfriend had found a way to get at him-certainly my impression of what the engineer said was that it was a malicious act.

Advertisement