Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan 100 NX?

Options
  • 14-08-2004 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

Considering getting this car, it's got a t-bar roof - which is pretty cool. Aside from that, I couldn'y seem to find any info on the car aside from pictures. Has anyone had any experience with this car? Or does anyone know anyone who has?

Here's a list of questions:
    Is it a two-seater only?
    What's the performnace like?
    Is it known to have any issues?

Thanks.

Ps: Failing that, what about the Honda CRX or the Honda Integra (Is that a two seater?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Spike wrote:
    Is it a two-seater only?
    It's got a rumble seat in the back, but you wouldn't want to be in it for long. Very uncomfortable.
    Is it known to have any issues?
    Indeed. It's a Honda 100NX. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

the 100nx is a great car!!
    a couple of mates of mine have had them and no complaints!!
    it is a 4/5 seater but back seat is not really a very comfortable place to be for a v long time!!
    it's a nissan though, and unless you're goin to buy one off a "boy racer" who (if they can get insurance on it) will prob have the nuts drove out of it, aint goin to be a bad car!! good signs (as with any car) are a dry engine now I dont mean just steam cleaned but a dry dusty engine!!
    I've had 3 sunnys and their the same car basically underneath it all!!
    1.3s are carb and slow and hard on petrol,
    1.4s are usually injection and are v quick and reasonably ok on juice,
    the 1.6s are also injection and are serious quick and very good on petrol!!
    I've now a 1.8 primera and it's animal quick and reliable as any nissan I've ever owned I'd deffo go for one unless you really need rear seats but with the other 2 cars you've mentioned here you're not goin to get much more space in the back!!

one last bit of advice though choose your car wisely and don't think "I want that one and I won't get another the same" you will!! theres loads of em out there and you're the one buyin!!

dahamsta wrote:

Indeed. It's a Honda 100NX. :)

adam
    think you'll find it's a nissan!!

Sorry, I was getting mixed up with the NSR 80. ;)

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

it's a nissan sunny a.k.a. datsun cherry ffs

the Honda CRX and Integra are infinitely better in every way, or if the tbar roof is most appealing, get an early 90's MX5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its not a cool car if such things bother you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

I saw a 92 one before and it had the worst orange respray I ever saw!
    flaky and coming off in places, it had rust underneath where it was coming off :rolleyes:

If you want something with a bit of shape to it thats not going to be skyhigh on insurance try the (92 -98 methinks) mazda mx-3 - doors are as light as anything, but all those kinda sport coupes (even the 100) suffer from that to save weight (available in 1.3 / 1.5 as i recall, not sure bout a 1.6)
    also goes under the name Autozar mx3
    heres a linky to what it looks like ->
    http://www.tuningsource.nl/members/mx3v68.jpg

Or you could try a 1994 1.6 integra (electronically limited to 100) 0-60 in SFA time
    yeat another linky ->
    http://www.peternixon.net/albums/integra/Mvc_001.jpg
    the type R is 1.8 and a lot more scary but theres a lotta power in that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

of course those really nice alloys don't come with the mx3!!!
    just had a look at your public profile, born in '89?! the only car you'll be able to insure would be (possibly) the mx3, not a hope of insuring an integra, 100nx or a crx! also most reasonable (is there such a thing?? :eek: ) insurance companies won't insure cars over 10 years old! so your limited to 1994 up...

Also its handy to note parts for the integra don't come cheap....
    And a 1.5/1.8 crx? keep dreaming! :) (and yes we all know its a bodykitted cut down civic!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Hmmm. Thanks for the info anyway. I'll keep looking around.
    Oh and daggeredge, I'm not looking to insure the car right now, it'd just be a project thingy to do I suppose. Actually, does anyone know what the Rover 216 is like? It's got a Honda Vtec 1.6 engine in it which I've heard are very good....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I currently have an NX for sale, anyone interested pm me.

1994, black, 1.6, t-bar, NCT, 84000 (i think cud b less), lowered 40mm, 16" wheels, changed to a black interior which is spotless, cars going 100%

if ya want pics or are interested pm me.

Farlz

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

daggeredge wrote:
    insurance companies won't insure cars over 10 years old!

how did you come to that belief? Its daft, insurance companies will ensure cars of any age, unless you are 19 and trying to get insurance on a 92 Nissan 300 twin turbo or some such.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Some insurance companies won't insure cars over ten years old. Quinn Direct is one of these companies - if your car is over ten years old they won't even give you a quote if you are a new customer. If you are an existing customer and your car becomes over ten years old I presume that they would continue to offer cover.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This 10 year business is mad - if its road legal it should be insurable. Allianz insured my car okay (13 years old at the time) and I got a quote from AXA too.

Mike.

every time I change car I have the same hassle if it's over the ten year thing cos it needs to have nct ect!! where as with a 95 car it doesnt need anythin to be insured!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

my mother used to have one back in 1994-95... shag all room in the back...i seem to remember the boot was big enough though

what i do remember is the rigmarole you had to go through to get the roof off...you then had to put the 2 panels into the boot in these special bags to protect them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Wouldnt go for it, its an ugly car, (Partcularly the front headlights) Nissan had some blub out once that this was an entry lvl sports car (but try that comment on the lads and u'll get laughed off the block) not a patch on its bigger brother the>> 200zx <<

Only plus point is the TBar.

200SX. The ZX was the 300. Both lovely cars.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Spike wrote:
    Actually, does anyone know what the Rover 216 is like? It's got a Honda Vtec 1.6 engine in it which I've heard are very good....
    The Rover 216 uses the SOHC D16 1.6 litre Honda engine alright but it's not a Vtec engine. Some, but not all 216 GSi and GTi have the DOHC 216. These D16 engines were also used in the Honda Civic, Concerto and CRX range.

It is possible to convert these engines to Vtec by doing what's called a "mini-me" conversion where you replace the head with one from a vtec and get a separate vtec controller. This only ever seems to be done on the SOHC unit though. I think the reason is that there's no real gains to be had from converting the DOHC unit.

By all accounts, the D16 DOHC is a very powerful engine for its size, and there's plenty of tuning parts available for it, especially in the States I believe. I've seen footage of a 216 DOHC GTi (with some engine modifications) convincingly beat a 2 litre 140 bhp car of similar weight (just heavier engine) in a quarter mile drag.

IrishRover wrote:
    By all accounts, the D16 DOHC is a very powerful engine for its size, and there's plenty of tuning parts available for it, especially in the States I believe. I've seen footage of a 216 DOHC GTi (with some engine modifications) convincingly beat a 2 litre 140 bhp car of similar weight (just heavier engine) in a quarter mile drag.

you probably seen the rover 220 turbo so!! or tomcat as rover originally called it but insurance companys classed it too high for anyone here or uk to insure so they're rare even though rover changed the name it was still branded tomcat!! it's all because there was some fighter jet out around the same time called tomcat and people started drivin like kamakazie pilots in em!! every year or so there does be one in a max power or revs magazine and they tell the tale all over again!!

still and all a 216 aint a bad car!! it's goin to have honda reliability after all!!

• Advertisement

Yeah, actually now that I think about it, this was against a standard 220 nasp hatch so it was in fact the same car, but different engine (the 220 nasp uses the Rover T16 2 litre DOHC). As far as I remember, one of the modifications the guy with the 216 had was an Integra R type ecu, but I'm not sure if that was the most significant mod he had. There were some other mods too. I'll dig out the specs and the video later if you're interested. :)

As for the Tomcat, yeah - I've got one! :D - A 220 turbo coupe. "Tomcat" was the internal Rover name for the coupe project and I think you are right about the reason why it was branded a 200 coupe when it came to market alright. I have heard that story before that they felt it would make insurance companies look on it less favourably. We all know if you tell them you've got a GTi they don't want to know, but call it something else and they don't balk as much! ;) If they had called it after a fighter plane, it probably would have sold less because most of their target market would not have been able to insure it!

The Tomcat name probably came from the removable panels of the targa roof which are reminiscent of the ejector roof of the F14 Tomcat fighter plane. The shape of the car is also reminiscent of a cat with its back arched too, so perhaps that had something to do with the name as well.

Anyway, certainly I reckon the Rover 216 GSi with the DOHC D16 would be a much cheaper insurance prospect than a Civic or CRX due to the reputation that those cars have earned themselves with insurance companies! ;) Perhaps a Concerto would be easy enough to insure too as it is not as synonymous with boy racers and for the same reason may be a fun car to surprise people with!

The 216 with the Honda engine would be the Mark II by the way if you're interested, as I'm pretty sure most if not all of the MK III "bubble shape" 216 use the 1.6 Rover K16.

we've kinda hijacked a thread here!!!
    I see ya know your stuff though!!
    I would be interested in that vid + specs at least!!
    I'd like a 220 turbo coupe myself!!
    you any pics of yours??
    often taught bout gettin a 1.6 but had a civic so they're kinda the same(ish)
    also as far as I know the mk3 as ya called it doesn't use honda engine and aint half the car the mk2 was!!
    I myself have a nissan primera P10 1.8sr it is a great car and would recommend them to anyone!! I've pics but my lead for camera aint workin!! will sort it and get some up actually!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

BrianD3 wrote:
    Some insurance companies won't insure cars over ten years old. Quinn Direct is one of these companies - if your car is over ten years old they won't even give you a quote if you are a new customer. If you are an existing customer and your car becomes over ten years old I presume that they would continue to offer cover.

BrianD3

Quinn Direct do insure cars over 10 years old, they don't do online quotes though, and they need a copy of the NCT before they will cover them.

smokey2 wrote:
    we've kinda hijacked a thread here!!!
    I see ya know your stuff though!!
    I would be interested in that vid + specs at least!!
    I'd like a 220 turbo coupe myself!!
    you any pics of yours??
    often taught bout gettin a 1.6 but had a civic so they're kinda the same(ish)
    also as far as I know the mk3 as ya called it doesn't use honda engine and aint half the car the mk2 was!!
    I myself have a nissan primera P10 1.8sr it is a great car and would recommend them to anyone!! I've pics but my lead for camera aint workin!! will sort it and get some up actually!!
    Yeah, I know we hijacked it alright. I've got to stop doing that! Anwyay, it seems like the thread was petering out anyway. :)

I'll ask the guy who owns the 216 if he doesn't mind me posting the vid and his specs. (Maybe I'll start a new thread! :D )

I don't think I've ever driven a Primera, but I used to like how they looked in the TOCA races when they took part.

If you have sigs visible, that's my coupe in my sig btw, and if you're interested, I know a guy who may be selling one in the next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 crisis

If you want a really cool one consider a datsun 260Z :cool:

Advertisement