Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in College?

• 14-08-2004 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

I'm about to go back to college in sept... i'm going to be renting a private house and i want to get broadband... here is the pickle...The house has a telephone line but it's never been connected. AFAIK it'll cost me €135 to connect the line before i can test whether it's suitable for broadband.. If i connect the line i also have to commit to a 12 month contract.. If the line ain't suitable after that then i'm stuck paying for something i don't want cause I won't be making any callls on it..It's stricly just for bb..

Am i right in what i say above and is there anyway i can get around this..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

im in the same situation mate, the house we're movin into has a phone line which isnt connected, so it wil cost a fortune to get the broadband setup, and then the problem of a 12 month contract while we'll be only there for 9 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 820 ✭✭✭qBot

it's ridiculous isn't it.. i don't mind the 12 month broadband part as i'll be doing my thesis come the summer so i'll have to be around anyway. but i can't take advantage of that 3/4 months free connection either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Rather than have everything done in your name, see if you can get the landlord to set it up under his, and have the cost added to your rent as a divided payment, rather than the €135 bulk payment.

i suppose when u divide it by the 4 people that wil be in the house, its not as bad as it looks, and then its what 10 euro a month from then on

Well, there is only 2 out of 4 in the house that will use it... so we'll be dividing it in two anyway... but it's pointless paying 25 a month for something i won't use... plus were students were eternally broke :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Any idea if you'd be able to get NTL?

yea i kno the student life is a hard one, specially the no money bit! just tell ur parents that u need a new book that costs 25 euro every month, problem solved! where u in college as a matter interest?

Not 4 me anyhow.. i just rang em.. they won't be doing the limerick area at all..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

qBot wrote:
    AFAIK it'll cost me €135 to connect the line before i can test whether it's suitable for broadband.. If i connect the line i also have to commit to a 12 month contract.. If the line ain't suitable after that then i'm stuck paying for something i don't want cause I won't be making any callls on it..It's stricly just for bb..

Am i right in what i say above and is there anyway i can get around this..

Ah the realities of life eh?
    If you activate the PSTN line and it won't take DSL then cancel it, yes it'll be a loss of 130 euro but thats life! :)

as for students broke, suree.....
    :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote:
    Ah the realities of life eh?
    If you activate the PSTN line and it won't take DSL then cancel it, yes it'll be a loss of 130 euro but thats life! :)

as for students broke, suree.....
    :rolleyes:

Sorry... been away for a few days...

That's brilliant if i don't have to sign up for a contract.. i don't mind losing out on the 135..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I presume from your post that you won't be on-res in College, I stayed in Kilmurry Village in UL for most my time in college (95-99) and had free internet access/network access, it was fantastic getting 120K downloads all the time pity there wasn't as much to download back then as there is now!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The surper fast connection in college not good enough?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

you can't run fun things like bit torrent on most college connections... plus, that would mean having to drag your ass into college to use it.

I'm in the same boat - moving back to carlow in September, just had the PSTN installed and can't even apply for broadband yet as it hasn't appeared in eircom's line test database yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

hehe I know plenty of people who downloaded plenty of stuff at college in the UK (Linux ISO's of course!)

As for checking your line for BB the eircom site updates quick or atleast it did for me anyway, esatbt.com still says I can't get DSL yet they gave it to me :)

Eircom.ie updated within 2 days, it took a further 2 weeks for iol.ie to update, funnily enough once eircoms site updated I phoned EsatBT and they said I was good to go, strange really...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stephen wrote:
    ...plus, that would mean having to drag your ass into college to use it.

One thing I'll never understand is why so many people apply for college if they have no intention of attending... Talk about kicking the person who was interested but didn't get it...

Its always pissed me off as well, I think if people do it and they are getting grants then they should have to pay back every penny at the end of the year because they wasted a college place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

i'm not talking about skipping classes and **** like that, i mean if you want to use the net in the evening you'd have to go into college, rather than doing stuff from the comfort of your student dump.

Advertisement