Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Screen Of Death (hard drive)

Options
  • 14-08-2004 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

ok get the following error on a friends computer

ERROR Specifically
    0x000000ED, (0x81FD6900, 0xc000032)

the windows site says its an unmountable boot volume

Am suspecting bad sectors on the drive but wondering could it be something else? failing this we'll just replace the drive -- maybe GHOST over the existing data (a lot of business files)

Cheers

DE

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Boot into safe mode. Is it hanging at Mup.sys?

I had a terrible time with that BSOD...are you running XP Home?

If so you need to run CHKDSK at startup from the Recovery Console....except that XP Home doesnt have Recovery Console only XP Pro.

I had to get a special CD with CHKDSK on it from Compaq....you might try NTFSCHK from Sysinternals.com if you're in a hurry...

This is from the relevant Microsoft Knowlege Base article :
    If the second parameter (0xbbbbbbbb) of the Stop error is 0xC0000032, then the file system is damaged.

If this is the case, restart the computer to the Recovery Console, and then use the chkdsk /r command to repair the volume. After you repair the volume, check your hardware to isolate the cause of the file system damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

yup, xp crap (i mean home!) alright

think I'll do a chkdsk /r alright
    every time we think the damn thing is fixed it fecks up again!

I'll see bout mup.sys...
    Is that indicative of something fenster?what does mup.sys do?

actually I think its so bad this time it won't boot in2 windows @ all ! even safe mode...
    typical....

yup thats exactly the problem I had....wouldnt boot no matter what.........you'll need to boot from a floppy (NTFSCHK) or a CD (Recovery Console)

Did you get XP Home pre-installed? If so you could use your recovery cd to reset to factory settings...of course you'll lose all your data

• Advertisement

we kinda did it on a wing and a prayer last time - pretty much what you described , Van (downloaded the Xp Home boot floppy prog and made six windows boot floppys and shoved in the cd after putting them in ) but we never tried to repair the damaged sectors (CONVINCED this is the prob) prob will use a 3rd party prog as I've lost (what little)faith i had in windows!

It might not have anything to do with bad/faulty sectors....what used to cause it for me was turning the computer off while it was booting...just leave it boot up as normal and use the windows shutdown....don't be impatient

Advertisement