Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

10m Women's Air Rifle

• 14-08-2004 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

The first event of the 2004 olympics is concluded and the first medal awarded!

_39953486_goldmedal300_300.jpg_39953310_lidu203.jpg

China's Du Li managed to steal past Russia's Lioubov Galinka to take the Gold medal, while both shooters managed to set new Olympic Records for the Final score and the Qualifying score, respectively.

Sadly, we didn't see live coverage of the finals on RTE, but as the results show, it was exceptionally tight. The overall results show a range of scores from Galinka's 399 to the last finalist Laurence Brieze's 396, to the bottom of the score table with 368, but the top twelve are all between 399 and 395.

5037557_320X240.jpg
    Du Li takes the winning shot

The
    finals scores were no less tight, with only one 9 each for the top three competitors, and the margin between gold and silver was 0.5 points after the seventy shots, with Du Li scoring 502.0 and setting a new olympic record, and Lioubov Galinka scoring 501.5. Incredibly, the margin between silver and bronze was even less, with only 0.4 points between Galinka and Katerina Kurkova. Not to be outdone in closeness, Zhao Yinghui came in fourth only 0.3 points behind Kurkova.

tx_du_all.jpg

One event down, sixteen to go!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

why are you spamming the boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

Part of the campaign for a firearms board no doubt.

*bump*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Not specifically Preacher. I've been posting this sort of thing to the Sports board for over a year now, but only in the last month did I realise that the After Hours lot have an interest in this sort of stuff. Add to that the fact that this is the largest shooting event in the four-year cycle, and my inability to find a way to post a linked thread and you get these. It's not the best solution, but it's the best one I could come up with.

Besides, doesn't it even interest you in the slightest when the competition for a gold medal comes down to the last shot in a 70-shot competition, with a 0.5 point margin, and setting two Olympic Records in the process, in a sport that you can't win through chemistry? Are you that jaded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Plus she looks hot holding that gun.

• Advertisement

And you haven't looked at Kurkova yet either Gordon, I'll bet :p

Nah but I'm sure I'll see her in some nightclub in Athens centre soon and I'll show her my ten metre rifle. erm... yeah!

I think hers may be bigger than yours Gordon :p

kurkova_katerina.jpg

Ah. Pity she's too young really :)

katerina_kurkova.jpg

If she's old enough to get a gold medal...

Gordon wrote:
    If she's old enough to get a gold medal...
    ....it doesn't mean a thing because jailbait has won medals before...

Saw her shoot at Munich three years ago. The photos don't do the girl justice, and neither did the bronze medal. Munich was her first major competition and she equalled the world record in qualifying...

• Advertisement

? Just how jailbait is she? Ireland jailbait or Thailand jailbait?

*lol*

Technically, she's not jailbait anymore, though when I saw her she was just verging on Ireland jailbait. But still, waaaaay too young for me. That's what you get for being an old fart!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Sparks wrote:
    Besides, doesn't it even interest you in the slightest when the competition for a gold medal comes down to the last shot in a 70-shot competition, with a 0.5 point margin, and setting two Olympic Records in the process, in a sport that you can't win through chemistry?

To be honest, no. There are far more exciting sports to watch. While that was going on, I was in Croke Park. Dublin may have lost, but it was still good to watch it live. It is a lot more exciting being at a match there than watching some shooting at the Olympics. Congratulations to those that won medals, but I will be keeping my eyes on sports events nearer to home. A visit to Croke Park on a big match day, even if there is some wayward shooting, is a lot more exciting I can tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Flukey wrote:
    To be honest, no. There are far more exciting sports to watch. While that was going on, I was in Croke Park. Dublin may have lost, but it was still good to watch it live. It is a lot more exciting being at a match there than watching some shooting at the Olympics. Congratulations to those that won medals, but I will be keeping my eyes on sports events nearer to home. A visit to Croke Park on a big match day, even if there is some wayward shooting, is a lot more exciting I can tell you.

horse's for course's as they say .(and by they I mean that muppet from Gamezville)

Well they actually say "horses for courses." Still, give me Croke Park on a big match day anytime. Nothing like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Flukey wrote:
    . Still, give me Croke Park on a big match day anytime. Nothing like it.

same for myself , Im just saying not everyone gets excitement out GAA .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

mmm chicks with guns :cool:

I know Big Ears, but which events do you think were getting the highest attention here yesterday and will again today?

Flukey, you've never seen a target shooting final in person, have you?
    Besides, there was no conflict here - I waited to see Derek's shooting from 0700 on Saturday, but still had time to cheer for Kerry that afternoon.

Thing to remember, though, is that GAA is a spectator sport - Target Shooting is a particpatory sport. (As in, the GAA has more spectators than participants, Target Shooting has more participants than spectators. And Target Shooting is much, much, much bigger and older... :p )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If that's a 10m rifle she must be frickin huuuuuuge!

• Advertisement
Advertisement