Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Derek Burnett doing well in qualifications

• 14-08-2004 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Derek Burnett, Ireland's Olympic Trap shooter in Athens, is doing as well as we expected he would in Athens, despite a low score in the today's last qualifying string. He's currently sitting in joint ninth place with Australian Michael Diamond who won the gold in Sydney, and well ahead of UK's Ian Peel who took silver in Sydney.

derek.gif

The results so far show the story - Italian shooter Giovanni Pellielo in the lead on 74 and Russian Alexei Alipov is behind only on countback on 74 as well. There are six shooters on 73 and then seven shooters including Derek are tied on 72 for ninth place. Two more strings to go tomorrow at 0800 our time, and Derek is once more squadded with Michael Diamond and Ian Peel.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Also on this note, Derek is to be featured on Network 2 at 1750 tonight. Don't miss it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

He is going well.

Derek finished in joint ninth place on 119, the same score as the Sydney Gold Medallist, Michael Diamond. A damn fine performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

well done derek. its a pity about that 23 on the first day. he missed a dirty bird and he also missed his retake after a no bird. its a cruel sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

red vex wrote:
    well done derek. its a pity about that 23 on the first day. he missed a dirty bird and he also missed his retake after a no bird. its a cruel sport

Didn't qualfy in round 2 :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

isnt there a sports board for stuff like this?

Move it to Sports then.

Anyway, he came 7th, when only the top 6 go through to the final. :(

Mossy Monk wrote:
    isnt there a sports board for stuff like this?
    Asked and answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ah, i see

Having a "shooting" forum could have all sorts of connotations. :)
    Better to leave it in the general sports forum where it now resides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

"Shooting Sports" perhaps?

Covers the legitimate stuff, while excluding the other variety.

Flukey wrote:
    Having a "shooting" forum could have all sorts of connotations. :)
    Better to leave it in the general sports forum where it now resides.

Or have a "Target Shooting" forum instead of a "Guns'n'ammo" forum...

Maybe, but with all due respect, it is not a kind of sport that would deserve its own forum, like Racing, Golf, Soccer or GAA. Maybe the Archery forum could be renamed to incorporate it as they are both target sports. We are already locked out of the Soccer forum for some reason :confused:, so would we need a gun license to get into that forum? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

how about a olympics forum and it could go in there?

Well I am sure they could put up a temporary Olympics forum. I think the shooting fans would be looking for a more long term home for their sport though.

Flukey wrote:
    Maybe, but with all due respect, it is not a kind of sport that would deserve its own forum, like Racing, Golf, Soccer or GAA.

Rot.
    Believe it or not, there are more people who shoot in this country (there are 230,000 firearms licences in this country, and somewhere around the 100,000 mark in the North) than there are people who play GAA football or Soccer. And if Golf gets a forum, Target Shooting not getting a forum is simply, to borrow an idealistic word, unfair, especially when Golf is the closest sport out there to Target Shooting.

Maybe the Archery forum could be renamed to incorporate it as they are both target sports.

Why? Does it cost far more in resources to have a seperate forum for Shooting? (Seriously, is it one database per forum with vBulletin?).
    I mean, why not have one forum for Soccer, Rugby and GAA? They all use balls and play on fields with goalposts...
    would we need a gun license to get into that forum? :)

No, but you would need to moderate out the nutjobs.
    (Which doesn't mean taking the mick out of someone who asks a genuine question when they don't know the answer, even if they do try to phrase the question like a Tom Clancy novel...)

Flukey wrote:
    Well I am sure they could put up a temporary Olympics forum.

That was asked for and nixed:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=179437
    I think the shooting fans would be looking for a more long term home for their sport though.

Yes :p

Well I have no objections to a Shooting forum. I can't say I'd have any interest in visiting it, but I won't complain if one is put up. Not my thing, although I once did go clay pigeon shooting. GAA, as you will have noticed by now, is my thing, so shooting for points and goals is what I like to see! :D There is nothing like being in Croke Park, amongst over 60,000 people, as I was twice this weekend and as I intend to be over the coming weeks as the two major Championships reach their climax!

There is nothing like being in Croke Park, amongst over 60,000 people
    No, but shooting for your country at the Olympics with 8,000 people watching in person and a bit over four billion watching on TV has to come close...

Advertisement