Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bolt Action .22

Options
  • 14-08-2004 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

I have a semi-auto,(Ruger 10/22) but would like to move into some competition shooting..so it's time for a bolt action. ...

I dont particularly want to spend a lot,, anyone got any recommendations??
    or know of any good bargains about at the moment??

Minimum hastle to strip/clean, get spare mags etc. Robust enough to use in the field as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What kind of competition shooting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Silhouettes mainly, probably some paper too if I improve.

Hmmm. Offhand I'd be thinking an Anschutz 14xx series but then again I'm more used to the high-end ISSF rifles. When you say you don't want to spend a lot - what do you mean by a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

CZ make a model called the 452 Silhouette, which is designed for that discipline, and very good value for money. In it's older format, the CZ452 AKA Brno No.2 is Ireland's most popular rifle.

Have a look at www.czub.cz.

Thanks for the info. guys.
    I'm not sure what the budget is.... I'm not going to get too serious on the competitions.... anyone any rough figures of what to expect to pay on a bolt action + reasonable scope??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭red vex

ive a cz long rifle and im very very happy with its groups. if you wanted to spend more money id go for an anchutz

The rifle will run you around EUR400 new, scope around EUR150. These are guidline figures, can go a hell of a lot higher, you wouldn't want to go much lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

The BRNO CZ I think 511 bolt action is a solid rifle which I use and would recommened for simplicity

The 511 is the semi model, 452 is the bolt, the semi is a fine gun, but if accuracy's what you're after, go for the bolt-action.

Well bit the bullet (pardon the pun) on Saturday and put a deposit on a Brno. I'll drop into the local Gardai tonight and see how I get on with 2nd licence.

• Advertisement

Good luck mcguiver, and don't forget to let us know how you get on with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

Why change from the Ruger?you can customise that type of gun to anything you want to.A bit of an internet search will give you plenty of different options.Change the stock,and put a Bull barrell on it and you have a very accurate rifle. Butler creek makes some very good stocks and barrels,it isnt difficult to do either,just release two allen screws on the reciver near the barrell.For the price of some of those rifles you can customise what you already got.Unless you are shooting somthing that prohibits semis,and AFIK "iron chicken" doesnt prohibit semis. Just a thought.

Very true Glock,
    I've already stuck on a Butler creek stock, modified the mechanism for the bolt release, added a larger mag release etc. I'll be keeping the Ruger alright..It's a great toy. Great groupings at 25 metres out to 100 meters

The standard 10/22 trigger needs work as well, hammer & shim kits seem to do a reasonable job. The carbon-fibre wrap barrels made by Volquartsen and others are very accurate, but cost a bit. They still wont shoot as accurate as a good bolt action though, owing to the lack of stiffness in the receiver among other things.

Most 10/22 owners have the makings of several rifles as a result of purchasing extra bits - one I know of has two barrels, three stocks, three scopes, three mags, and two trigger assemblies.

Anyone got any suggestions for a scope for my new toy.... any bargains out there?? Irish pices seem to be a bit silly compared to those on the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Irishglockfan

try Ebay.That usually has some good deals.

Advertisement