Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea Vs Utd Predictions

• 14-08-2004 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Even with Utd's injuries I still think it will be a tight game, but The Blues will shade it 2-1. Looking forward to seeing Drogba.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The team that Utd have injured would be pretty good! I think Chelsea should boss it*.

Mike.

*reckless prediction

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Chelsea, they should really be taking advantage of United's injury woes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

3-2 chelski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As a Man Utd fan, I can not see Utd winning it. Too many players missing and average replacement surely can not beat star studded Chelsea? Surely...?

Watch this space...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

im going for a very close draw!!! 2-2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

3-0 to Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Think Chelsea will run away with it, only obstacle I can see is that the team will not be too familiar with each other. If United play anything like they did last week then they will be in alot of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

United are missing to many to win this match... Personally think Chelsea will win by 2 goals. maybe more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Chelsea 2-1 United

Carvalho----Smith
    Kezman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

4-0 to Chelsea , with Kezman getting 3 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

2-0 to United - Miller and Forlan.

The wednesday match will have brought them on a lot. They looked a diff team in the 2nd half. Chelsea will take time to settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

kida wrote:
    2-0 to United - Miller and Forlan.

The wednesday match will have brought them on a lot. They looked a diff team in the 2nd half. Chelsea will take time to settle.

Hahahahaha, we only need smemon in now to predict United to thrash Chelsea and the hex will be complete.

Chelsea to win by a couple of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Well, I'm just not sure about this game.
    There is absolutely no way Chelsea can't score againist Uniteds current defence, but the question is are Man Utd gona score with just Smith the only real scorer?

This game is really down to one thing, centre midfield.
    If Keano is on top of his game with Miller playing as well as he did last week, I can see United edging it like 2-1 or 3-2 or something.
    If he isn't I can't see United holding on for the win, and maybe if they get lucky they'll get a draw.

Its a big big game though, so I think Keano will do theb usiness :)
    Gwan the boys in red!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

3-1 to Chelsea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

2-0 Chelsea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmmm I expect this to be a draw!

Everyone thinks Utd will get beaten. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

cheesedude wrote:
    Everyone thinks Utd will get beaten. :(

Can you blame them???
    On paper you should write them off almost immediately. Its just because of their reputation that people are giving them a chance. I think that if Chelsea can gel, Utd will be blown right out of the water. They are stronger in almost every department.

No. I even said I can not see Utd winning from a fans point of view mainly because of what we have at our disposal. And I am a Utd fan!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Duffer to run riot and Gary Neville to go off injured in a tackle with Duff. ;)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Duffer to run riot and Gary Neville to go off injured in a tackle with Duff. ;)

Duff's back is he?

Its fairly easy to write em off, but ya know how United are, anything can happen :)
    The only area on the pitch where I think United are ahead is in goals.
    The rest they have one very good player for every two very good players that Chelsea have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

3-2 utd. id settle for a draw though.

this is miller's chance to shine, he loves the big games and has always risen to the occasion up at celtic.

will be tough with drogba and kezman upfront, goal machines.

i think we'll have a better chance if we put 5 in midfield. giggs, scholes, o'shea, djemba, miller or similar with keane in defence leaving smith on his own which he's shown to be excellent at. (fletcher's out due to suspension).

if we can hold our own with half the side out against the favourites it will be a great start to the season. imagine winning with ferdinand, ronaldo, saha and van nistelrooy all to come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Really is a Win win for united, if they lose well we had X number of players out and if they win it's gonna be look what we did with x number of players out, how good will we be with a full squad.

As i said before, if they play as badly as they did v Arsenal then they will get hockeyed.

Really is a Win win for united, if they lose well we had X number of players out and if they win it's gonna be look what we did with x number of players out, how good will we be with a full squad.

As i said before, if they play as badly as they did v Arsenal then they will get hockeyed.

That is the way it is with every team. And in all fairness, even though I think Utd will lose, of course it would be some accomplishment if we won with all the players missing at the moment especially in comparison with Chelsea and their squad.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

its not win win if they lose, common read what you wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

whats the score in this game?

1-0 to chelsea. Gudjohnson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

excellent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Can you get this on radio?

Can you get this on radio?

Dont know. Its over now anyway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Very ugly game, Chelsea didn't deserve to win that. United were badly lacking pace and creativity in midfield as well as another striker up front. Chelsea were pretty poor I thought and Howard should definately have done better for the goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Good result but not a great performance by the blues. Both teams didn't really create anything.

disappointing result, utd didnt deserve to lose. dominated about 90% of the game and set up camp in just outside chelsea's box.

no saha, ronaldo or van nistelrooy and boy did it show. lacked the final killer pass or through ball.

1 defensive error cost us, howard to blame but he did make up for it. if we keep playing like we did today we'll have no problem coping until the big guns get back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Utd were by far the better team but just couldn't create enough chances. Fortune was terrible and Djemba was quiet. Lampard didn't have the best of games for Chelsea and Makelele didn't see very much of the ball. I thought Smertin and Bridge had very good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

All I can say is FORLAN lol

OMG how crap is he??

I'm really really gutted after that game.
    I really thought United deserved at least a draw if not a win.
    I thought Howard was good but he really ****ed up on the goal, I just can't see what he was trying to do, it looked a lot like he was scared to me.

There was just no magic up front.
    Scholesy had one decent chance which he messed up.
    Smith had two okish headers which he didn't connect well on.
    And Giggsey was really close on one :/

Smith just doesn't seem like a goal scorer to me, hes a second striker.
    United need at least a temp replacement for a month or else we won't be getting many goals.

Chelsea imo were really bad in midfield and up front, but were very good in defence.
    The strikers got absolutely no service, and besides the goal I think they had one or two other chances that weren't a longball situation.

I am in a way happy because if Chelsea keep playing like that all season, I'm not too worried about them. But the magic they lacked will be back with Duff.

Suckage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Forlan is beyond crap, he's a disgrace.

Forlan is beyond crap, he's a disgrace.

give em a few pies and send him on a sunbed and you'll have emile heskey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

smemon wrote:
    give em a few pies and send him on a sunbed and you'll have emile heskey.

don't forget to get rid of the mop on his head too .
    United were the better team , but Mourinho won the tactical battle with fergie .
    Once his side scored he could just get his side to close the game out , and shut up shop .
    Although Giggs still came mighty close .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This was one of the 5-6 domestic games of the season where I was cheering Utd. Majorly disappointed.

Poor passing, inability to keep posession in the final third, noone to hold the ball up, terrible final ball and they were *STILL* the better team on the pitch.

A draw would probably have been a fair result, I'd say Keane will go through a few Utd players, Fortune and Neville for starters.

Pace and creativity were sorely lacking though and although he looked good at times, I'm not sure about O'Shea in midfield. Miller harried and harassed without doing anything.

Chelsea don't look like potential champions by any stretch. Far too narrow.

Oh, and Forlan has no right playing in the premiership.

Forlan is a ****ing disgrace. Saw him come on and was like "what the **** is he going to do?"

We were the better team and deserved at least a point. We lacked the killer ball but give respect to Chelsea. They defended excellently but still we were very unlucky.

It really was a shocking game to watch.. The first half was balanced enough but the second half was pretty much all United. When I say all United, I mean all possession and **** all else..

Chelsea looked nothing special but then again they did half a strange line up in midfield. They basically had 4 central midfielders on and were extremely narrow. United began to take advantage of this in the second half but were not able to make it count.

Chelsea were certainly lucky to get the win and you really must question Howards part in the only goal.. What the hell was he doing?

The same questions still exist though. Its all well and good to argue United had at least 5 or so first team players missing but the players that were brought in to replace them are the players who will be sittng on the bench when they all return. United always had the ability to make a late subsitution that you know could swing the game... They do not have this anymore and seem to have lost the ability to pull something out of nothing...

Ferguson seems to have lost the plot also... Keane in the centre of defence while O'Shea is in the midfield? Ergh.... Miller was a major dissappointment for me today also.

United had 9 first team players missing.

And for the guys that came in, they were not that bad. We only had the one striker who worked his balls off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

that was a nerve wrecking experience , nice early goal to settle the nerves but both teams looked like they were not communicating. Strange that a fairly regular chelsea mid field from last season (bar smertin, who was excellent) looked like they had never met, but then so did Utd's. It was great to Eidur Gudjonsen leave the ground at least 3 times so he must have lost a bit of weight. Roy at the back looks a very dangerous ploy , he isn't exactly a towering figure. Jose's tctical decision to defend so far back to protect a slim lead against such famous, if misfiring opposition worries me , we;ll get punished doing that, we always do.

As usual Graham Poll did everything bar wear a Man U strip, and I now suspect that Djemba Djemba is not a real player but is actually made of cardboard , nothing else bar a sudden breeze can explain his tendency to fall to ground when an opponent runs within a few feet of him.

It wasn't pretty , but 3 points in the bag and that game out of the way.

Great to have the footy back!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm really annoyed at todays result. And even more so towards Giggs and Forlan. They are two of the most frustrating players I've ever seen bar Kevin Kilbane.

I just don't know what to say. I'm just really disappointed that United played so well yet our wingers and our distribution in the final third of the pitch was so poor. I really hope we get a left winger and fast!

cheesedude wrote:
    United had 9 first team players missing.

And for the guys that came in, they were not that bad. We only had the one striker who worked his balls off.

Lets see who was available today that was a major part in United last 2 seasons.

Uniteds Starting 11:

Howard - First Team for 1 year
    Silvestre - First Team for how many years?
    Gary Neville - Institutionalised in the first team
    Keane - Institutionalised in the first team, seen by United supporters as still being one of the best in the world
    Fortune - Has probably played an average of 20+ games a season for 2 or 3 seasons now, althought only returning from injury lately and partly responsible for the goal today
    Miller - Considered to be one of the best up and coming central midfielders
    O'Shea - First Team for 2 seasons, possibly been replaced by Heinze but would still warrant a place on the bench when everyone is available for selection
    Djemba-Djemba - Seen as a long term investment, bought for a few million and likely to be in the pecking order for a place on the bench when United have a full strength team.. Poor player IMO
    Giggs - Institutionalised in the first team
    Scholes - Institutionalised in the first team
    Smith - Good enough to warrant a starting place in any team but is Uniteds 3rd choice, but still an excellent player

Subs:
    Ricardo - Normal sub keeper
    Phil Neville - Been a member of the first team for years, mostly on the bench though. Is on 50,000 a week so must be considered a decent player
    Bellion - Always plays very little part, third string!!
    Richardson - Very young and is part of the third string.
    Forlan - 7 million piece of crap, still a capable international!!

Who was missing today:

Gabriel Heinze - part of first team, has not played a competitive match so you could hardly consider him missing from the first team as you dont actually know if he is any good
    Rio Ferdinand - A big miss
    Wes Brown - Not the first team and
    Cristiano Ronaldo - Played 75% of the season last year but certainly missed big time
    Louis Saha - Big Miss
    Ruud van Nistelrooy - Big Miss
    Jose Kleberson - Not the first team and would not be picked before anyone who played today
    Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Big miss
    Darren Fletcher - Not the first team and would likely not be picked before anyone who played today

So to be realistic, United were missing 5, maybe 6 first team players that you actually know anything about..

If you want to be picky you could argue that only 2 forwards can play.. You have 4 decent forwards and one was available to play. So you are really only missing 1 striker.. Saying 3 strikers is just trying to make youself feel better. Who would be 2nd in line to Ruud, Saha or Smith?

Wrong again. Name me a football fan who has not heard of at least 8 of those players missing today. The only one who some may not know is Heinze but if they watched any copa america highlights they would know him.

You were missing at most 2 players from defence, 1 player from midfield and 1 up front.

• Advertisement
Advertisement