Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cant ping any sites!

• 14-08-2004 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

I only noticed this this morning. Whenever I go to ping a site (boards.ie) for example, it always times out (Request times out), when I use a tracert, it stops at 192.168.1.1.

At first, I thought it was my firewall (ZoneAlarm) however, I disabled it and tried to ping again, but to no avail.

Any ideas? I can still browse sites fine and play online games, but would be nice to be able to use the ping command every now and again!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

your on IOL broadband you mong, get an decent connection!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

192.168.1.1 is the default IP address of the zyxel modem/router IOL supply. Can't see why it would be preventing you from pinging the outside world though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Murd had the same problem with eircom bb, setup the computer to Dial instead of relying on the router to get an line

create an new high speed PPPoE connection on the internet connection wizzard and then get an decent provider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

:rolleyes:

what's your beef with IOL? from what i've seen they're pretty good. Care to back your opinion up with some facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

That didnt work, presumablly because Im connected using the USB port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭tomk

Stephen wrote:
    :rolleyes:

what's your beef with IOL?

They block pings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

they don't block my pings and i am with them. iolbb plus.
    there service has been nothing but excellant.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

tomk wrote:
    They block pings.

not to sure about IOL BB, but Esat Business do block inbound pings to my IP as standard which I see as a good thing really.
    But they certainly don't block outbound pings on ANY connection I've used..

Advertisement